• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Gearbox 3500 miles in - Gear 2, 4 and 6 got stiffer..

Well I drove the car primarily in Sport mode, the track was only to test acceleration since I wanted no/minimal assists to see how she pulled. In Sport, it was a bit rough as it is, not sure how much Track changes that, i will miss the custom mode in the N that's for sure. But as previously mentioned, nothing set in stone yet.
I find it strange that you can't configure the suspension. In the RS you can choose Normal suspension in all modes. Having to deal with harsh suspension in Sport and Track modes would be a deal braker for me. One of the things that convinced me to get the N is the ability to have everything in Sport+ and the suspension in Normal.

Reactions: REM66
@iiNNEX do you have any idea what you'll have to spend to get the ST sounding like the i30N!:p Mak'em fix it right and then have fun. FORD lovely sound system..............Ah when?o_O

The new ST sounds very good from factory, pops and bangs quite a bit. Not as loud (volume wise) as the N, but nothing an exhaust change can't fix. Rather than than deal with major QC issues to be honest.

I still have hope that my N will be mended and I can erase these dirty Ford thoughts from my head. But in all seriousness, as an N owner, I can legit say that ST felt like the better car, build quality, features and performance wise. Then again being £34.5k list price as test with all the extras on it , I expect it to be :)

I find it strange that you can't configure the suspension. In the RS you can choose Normal suspension in all modes. Having to deal with harsh suspension in Sport and Track modes would be a deal braker for me. One of the things that convinced me to get the N is the ability to have everything in Sport+ and the suspension in Normal.

I understand what you are saying but at the same time, the roads here are not too bad. I had my N in Sport suspension, everything else Sport +, so this is would hardly be a change. Sport+ in the N and Track on the ST are both no liveable with on rough roads though.

Reactions: s.arhangelov
@iiNNEX To be fair if mine had a poor gearbox I'd probably be getting rid of it too. Fortunately mine is sweet and now at 10k the only issue is a stupid alarm. Everthing else is great and fault free!

Its blind luck it seems, I used to be a "Ford Guy" but got burned with the RS MK3 head debacle and sold it after 6 months lol. I just hope Ford have properly sorted that 2.3 Ecoboost out for the ST. Seems a great car tbf.

Oh and did I mention the lovely Sound system it has compared to what Hyundai have blessed us with? Oh man... I almost hope they don't fix the car xD

/rant over
That's what i asked yesterday if you wanted to not be fixed xD.

I completely understand your point of view but every car has their issues and the ST wont be any difference regardless it appears to be a strong vehicle and a nice place to be on. Exhaust wise, well you can always seek alternatives like montune or something warranty approved by ford and you'll have it all with less troubles (in theory). I'm not defending ford or the ST (although my first choice before the N was the ST from 2018 XD) but if it was today.... i would place my cards on the table seriously, back then pfffff ... would be a no brainer.
I think you should make up your mind soon, i mean, even if the car is fixed to your liking, you will always have the ST on your mind and will torn you apart thinking that you could be driving the car you really wanted, instead of driving something that you are just "ok" with it... i hope it wasn't that confusing xD. I have been in your shoes before and i know what struggle you are facing, almost wishing that something doesn't happen deliberately so that i could go for the other thing "freely". That's a pickle :\

@Cavaco90 Unfortunately I am at the mercy of the dealership at the moment. Unless they do something silly or refuse work, I cannot simply reject the car since they are compliant.

For now I just want it back, working like it should so I can go and waste a tank of V power down some back roads, while waking up the villagers at 2am lol. The ST is nice, probably the better car, but it's also more expensive and currently not an option unless the car is rejected.

Another thing I noticed, for 2-3K more than an ST, I can get a 2015-2016 Cayman S.... now that's some car and a half lol

Reactions: Cavaco90
@Cavaco90 Unfortunately I am at the mercy of the dealership at the moment. Unless they do something silly or refuse work, I cannot simply reject the car since they are compliant.

For now I just want it back, working like it should so I can go and waste a tank of V power down some back roads, while waking up the villagers at 2am lol. The ST is nice, probably the better car, but it's also more expensive and currently not an option unless the car is rejected.

Another thing I noticed, for 2-3K more than an ST, I can get a 2015-2016 Cayman S.... now that's some car and a half lol
I do hope everything works out for you, not all dealers are questionable. On that Cayman front, only cr*p that would be a nice upgrade. How many miles on it?

I do hope everything works out for you, not all dealers are questionable. On that Cayman front, only cr*p that would be a nice upgrade. How many miles on it?

This one had 29k on the clock, full porsche service history and a bunch of options from factory. I know its not a new car but we are talking a whole level of driving precision here haha. And it's the 6 cylinder flat engine, not the new 4 cyl turbo, so proper engine glory.

Here is a pic:

a58fcdbc1ea84dc3a1d8d2aac310d0f5.jpg

This one had 29k on the clock, full porsche service history and a bunch of options from factory. I know its not a new car but we are talking a whole level of driving precision here haha. And it's the 6 cylinder flat engine, not the new 4 cyl turbo, so proper engine glory.

Here is a pic:

a58fcdbc1ea84dc3a1d8d2aac310d0f5.jpg
Jesus, that's just beautiful, hands down. 29k on the clock for 2015-2016 is new, besides has full service history. Mate, another nightmare for you XD the more you search the worse

Jesus, that's just beautiful, hands down. 29k on the clock for 2015-2016 is new, besides has full service history. Mate, another nightmare for you XD the more you search the worse

I need to get off the internet mate... lol Thing is it's not like I have a car to go out for drive in either xDD

@iiNNEX what makes you think that ford st is better than the N, or rather that you won't have any problems with st's gearbox after some k milles? Just curious.

@iiNNEX what makes you think that ford st is better than the N, or rather that you won't have any problems with st's gearbox after some k milles? Just curious.

I already mentioned what I thought was better, during my short test drive. The N has it's pro's as well, but the Quality Control problems overshadow it's greatness for me.

As for the ST's reliability, well I don't know. Nobody knows if it's going to have issues or not, however Ford Performance is an established sub-brand and has released many ST/RS models over the years. Each with their flaws (for example MK3 RS and it's engine problems), but so far from what I can read online, the MK4 ST is a realiable platform. Only thing people have mentioned is rattle in door cards, but turning up the sound system fixes that :)

I am not saying I will go for the ST either, it's just something out there to consider, especially around the same price point (before options/discounts) if Hyundai does not fix my car to my satisfaction.

I'd be cautious with Porsche as they are not without problems like all cars but way more expensive when a problem arrives out of warranty.
A mate got rid of his 18 month old Porsche Cayman for an AMG C63 after it needed the full wiring harness changing to rid it of electrical gremlins that Porsche could not track down after months of trying. His biggest issue was the infotainment randomly shutting down and rebooting at will while driving.

Agreed it's not a common fault and likely a one off but very frustrating when it happens. The internet is the worst place and the best sometimes for raising awareness of problems with cars it's figuring out the urban myths from the reality that's tricky :)

Reactions: iiNNEX
Sounds aggressive as sh**, however *Millteck required*. Is it warranty approved?
Doubt it, but who cares about losing warranty on an exhaust :D
i posted the video to show that even stock exhaust in sports mode seems to sound decent :)