• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

2019 N Fastback to Kona N

ArCtIcFoX

Nthusiast
Oct 7, 2019
UK
Looking at trading my 2019 i30N Fastback for the new Kona N, anyone else changed from a I30n be it a hatch or a fastback and was you happy with the change.

I have I30N Hatch and my wife is driving Kona N, now comparing these two cars for a year I woudn't change I30N for Kona N but I would for I30N DCT

Reactions: ArCtIcFoX
I have I30N Hatch and my wife is driving Kona N, now comparing these two cars for a year I woudn't change I30N for Kona N but I would for I30N DCT
As much as I like my Fastback I love the look of the Kona as more my cup of tea, Like the hatch on steds lol.

Just wondering if major difference to get used to bar the DCT

Looking at trading my 2019 i30N Fastback for the new Kona N, anyone else changed from a I30n be it a hatch or a fastback and was you happy with the change.
I think you have to test the DCT first because that is a main difference and you got used to manual, there is no Kona with manual. Kona N is not as loud as i30N and you'll get less pops and bangs, less theatrics, your neighbours will like that. But it's still very fun to drive, they name it i30N for pensioners, much easier to get in with bad knees. Kona is a slightly more modern, you will have nice computer display, and you can have some better options if you want them (Head-Up display, Ventilated seats, Heated rear seats) you can't get with i30N. I think i30N looks better a sportier style, Kona looks like a lost baby hippo. So the i30N looks like a sporty car while Kona is just a family car with big tyres. It's a sleeper, it's faster than your old i30N (because of the new better turbo and the DCT).

"Kona looks like a lost baby hippo" that made me laugh way more than it should have and the next time i see a grey one i know i'm gonna have a little chuckle to myself, so i thank you for that.

• Haha
Reactions: R Veloster N
Me too! Got a good chuckle from; “looks like a lost baby hippo.”

We decided against the purchase. We owned a Kona Ultimate and Hyundai took to many short cuts for the Kona N.👍🇺🇸

It may sound too obvious or too simplistic, but the i30 is a hot hatchback and the Kona a hot SUV.

In general terms, I suppose this might explain the main differences. isn't it?

It may sound too obvious or too simplistic, but the i30 is a hot hatchback and the Kona a hot SUV.

In general terms, I suppose this might explain the main differences. isn't it?
I got a Kona N and it's not a SUV feeling at all. It's a hot hatch too. You have a high seat position, that is the only similarity
to a SUV. It's the same stiff car as the i30N and you don't want to go offroad, it won't be a weekend car for fishing and hunting. And it's a little car, it's shorter than i30N even shorter than the hatcback!

I got a Kona N and it's not a SUV feeling at all. It's a hot hatch too. You have a high seat position, that is the only similarity
to a SUV. It's the same stiff car as the i30N and you don't want to go offroad, it won't be a weekend car for fishing and hunting. And it's a little car, it's shorter than i30N even shorter than the hatcback!
Yeah over 20cm shorter than my fastback, I'm no spring chicken and i do have a dodgy back/knees so the lack of bending to get in would be nice. Unfortunately I can't test drive one as only ones available near me are not regged yet.

TBH if the deal I want comes back I'll prob jump on it and I've viewed the Kona Ns a few times as I actually love the looks.

The Kona N is much more uncomfortable to drive, it jumps a lot more on the road than the I30N, but that's why it's much faster, especially on the track, and that's only because of the DCT and the newer engine with a bigger turbo. Tomorrow I'm actually going to the track with the Kona N again with new tires because Pirelli are sh... but already on the first two track days the Kona N was faster (there is a big difference between manual transmission and DCT).
It is true that the Kona N is quieter than the first generation I30N, but the new generation I30N is actually all the same as the Kona N in terms of the mechanical part.
As a second or third car, it's great, but as the main and only one, we would never have it, little space, uncomfortable and some other little things that bother us

Reactions: GazmaN
The Kona N is much more uncomfortable to drive, it jumps a lot more on the road than the I30N, but that's why it's much faster, especially on the track, and that's only because of the DCT and the newer engine with a bigger turbo. Tomorrow I'm actually going to the track with the Kona N again with new tires because Pirelli are sh... but already on the first two track days the Kona N was faster (there is a big difference between manual transmission and DCT).
It is true that the Kona N is quieter than the first generation I30N, but the new generation I30N is actually all the same as the Kona N in terms of the mechanical part.
As a second or third car, it's great, but as the main and only one, we would never have it, little space, uncomfortable and some other little things that bother us
Pretty much like my fastback then, always something that bugs ya but that's the compromise or I'd be spend 2 x the amount.

I don't mind a hard ride and again the sh!t Pzeros will not help and when I changed to F1 eagles then PS4s was so so much better.

Reactions: dacho
Minimal storage room. Top heavy with to much body roll and rear end light, which contributes to oversteer when hard on the brakes. Needs to be lowered. The US version is disappointing, especially compared to both the Kona Ultimate and Elantra N.👍🇺🇸

• Haha
Reactions: jacobbby
Minimal storage room. Top heavy with to much body roll and rear end light, which contributes to oversteer when hard on the brakes. Needs to be lowered. The US version is disappointing, especially compared to both the Kona Ultimate and Elantra N.👍🇺🇸
He is from UK, he can't get Elantra N. The Electric Ultimate is a totally different genre not a petrol N car. And in my experience there is no significant body roll, it's about the same stiff car as the i30N. It never wants to roll over it never feels unstable but the tyres would lose the grip sooner. I don't use it on track though, I don't try to race with it. I think it's better car then the pre-facelift i30N (and more expensive unfortunately). The question is the DCT transmission (how would ArcticFox like that after manual) and the other obvious option: the i30N DCT FL . I think he can't get the answer from here, he must test them, there is no other choice.
And yes the storage room is not great nor the leg-space in the rear seats, but at least the head-space a little bigger than the coupe-like Fastback. For little families I think with small children.

He is from UK, he can't get Elantra N. The Electric Ultimate is a totally different genre not a petrol N car. And in my experience there is no significant body roll, it's about the same stiff car as the i30N. It never wants to roll over it never feels unstable but the tyres would lose the grip sooner. I don't use it on track though, I don't try to race with it. I think it's better car then the pre-facelift i30N (and more expensive unfortunately). The question is the DCT transmission (how would ArcticFox like that after manual) and the other obvious option: the i30N DCT FL . I think he can't get the answer from here, he must test them, there is no other choice.
And yes the storage room is not great nor the leg-space in the rear seats, but at least the head-space a little bigger than the coupe-like Fastback. For little families I think with small children.
I completely understand this., it’s rather obvious isn’t it?👍

The US Kona Ultimate; is an ICE 1.6T Gamma II equipped SUV, not an EV. It utilizes the same chassis as the Kona N. The Kona Ultimate is trimmed out very well and includes options the Kona N ought to have, especially for the price of the Kona N.

On the track or pushing hard on the road Kona N, there’s ample body roll. Brake bias from front to rear is not correct and the rear end dances to much with hard brake application.

The lack of weigh in the rear and higher center of balance causes this. Under heavy braking this permits the Kona N to nose dive, causing oversteer and loss of rear traction, especially when pushed hard in fast corners.

The Kona N reminded me much of the same as with Kona Ultimate. It’s just the nature of the chassis in both.

My personal opinion mind you but Hyundai is purposely turning a sport oriented car, into a family, daily use, dinosaur with 4-5 doors. They’re riding the advertising media hype stirred up by the Veloster N and i30N.👍🇺🇸

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jacobbby
I completely understand this. The US Kona Ultimate is an ICE 1.6T Gamma II equipped SUV, not an EV. It utilizes the same chassis as the Kona N. The Kona Ultimate is trimmed out very well and includes options the Kona N ought to have, especially for the price.

There is no such car in Europe, it is not an option, he can't buy it in UK. And it's not an N car. What makes you think that he wants to change the i30N to a different genre a weaker one ? I checked the Hyundai shop and there is only Kona Electric Ultimate in Europe.

On the track or pushing hard on the road Kona N, there’s ample body roll. Brake bias from front to rear is not correct and the rear end dances to much with hard brake application.

The lack of weigh in the rear and higher center of balance. Under heavy braking, this permits the Kona N to nose dive causing oversteer and loss of rear traction, especially when pushed hard in fast corners.

I donno the track driving. It wasn't primary aspect when a selected the car, I couldn't care less. If I'd like to win an amateur home track day in my county I'd buy something else, not a 280 PS car. The highway is not curvy and it's good quality => no problem. On the B roads you'll have many other problems when you wanna go real fast, bad road quality & pot-holes, torque steering, running the rails on grooved roads, side swinging on barrel-roads, grip on the tyres ... so on. The rolling will be your very last problem, it never happened to me. I never did real life moose test yet.

The Kona N reminded me much of the same as with the Kona Ultimate. It’s just the nature of the chassis in both.

Totally different cars with different engines, transmission, suspensions. There are many kind of Kona's. They are not similar at all. Kona N is not a SUV it's a hot-hatch. You talk about rolling and overstreer that is your theory only, because you think it looks like a mini-SUV so it behaves like SUV. It doesn't. It behaves like a hot-hatch. Like an i30N. If you check the lap times Kona N has almost the same time as the i30N, the difference is minimal, the driver's knowledge makes bigger difference. That woudn't be possible with a rolling SUV don't you think. By the way the much lighter i20N's rear wheels also leave the road quite often, still they do very-very good lap times and they don't wanna roll. Because the chassis is very stiff and the suspension also. Elantra N is the fastest, but that car has a different advanced suspension.

DCT is in my opinion, dull and to seamless. There’s plenty of straight line umph, but this is not what Hyundai N-Performance was made for or touted in their advertising.

Let’s just say this; Hyundai N-Performance is more about their advertising, then performance aspect anymore. Long term, ICE N-Performamce autos are on the downside. No MY drivetrain upgrades. No plans to utilize the Smart Stream engine, except for replacing the 1.6T Gamma II in the I20N. A European replacement for the Veloster.

N division has been disbanded, they don't develop the petrol N serie fun cars anymore. We can't expect anything. They will use the "N" trademark at some places in the future, but that is not continuation, simply just abusing the well-reputed N badge.

IMO, Hyundai is purposely turning a sport oriented car, into a family, daily use, dinosaur with 4-5 doors. 👍🇺🇸

Yes I agree. But the Kona N is a faster dinosaur than your Veloster N in every way. It's only the look. That's why I said Kona N was a gray car in the mass, a sleeper.

Okay folks, points made. Can we now please get back to answering the question posed by the OP at the start of the thread, if indeed anyone else is in a position to comment. Thanks.

Reactions: R Veloster N
Yesterday on trackday my wifes Kona N with Eibach springs and Cont 7 tyres was 1s faster than stock with Pirelli, I could get 1,5s faster time but I was not in the mood for the track at all. Next time will see how much is really faster than stock. Eibach really hellped with rear end and it is different feeling like you drive some other car and not Kona N

We've had a few Nthusiast members in Scotland change from an i30N to a KonaN and all have been very happy. It won't do a trip to IKEA for a wardrobe but, a weekly shop from Tesco isn't a problem. The 8 speed DCT is sweet; you can always go manual/paddles if you're wanting a bit more engagement. I've done some very spirited driving along some A and B roads in Scotland and in standard form the KonaN performed extremely well. I've recently had the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs fitted, which have dropped the front and rear by around 25mm and 35mm respectively. With cooler weather upon us, I've also changed the P-Zeros for some super premium Cross-Climate 2 All Season tyres. The new rubber and lowered suspension has resulted in much improved handling and it now sticks to the highland roads like Badger Sh*t on dog fur. Take one out for a long test drive. I'm sure you'll be as happy as our already converted Nthusiast brothers too ;)