• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

I30 fastback rattle at the rear

Aurimas

Jun 3, 2020
Lithuania
Hi,

Already done 10k kms , but i started notice annoying rattles (ticking noise) at rear inside ,hard to locate , seems like rattles comes from boot but when i take out all items from trunk nothing changes still rattles , maybe someone had similar experiences especially with fastbacks?

Hi,

Already done 10k kms , but i started notice annoying rattles (ticking noise) at rear inside ,hard to locate , seems like rattles comes from boot but when i take out all items from trunk nothing changes still rattles , maybe someone had similar experiences especially with fastbacks?
Have you checked the spare wheel and tools under the boot floor?

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Hi,

Take a screwdriver and hit the right side of the exhaust with the handle. It may be the spring/valve on the exhaust that's making the noise (need to fix that on mine)

Reactions: Aurimas
I have this exact same thing sounds like a panel in the boot is vibrating majorly. Maybe the one with the interior boot handle on?

Have you checked the spare wheel and tools under the boot floor?
Already did that, nothing changes at all.

I have this exact same thing sounds like a panel in the boot is vibrating majorly. Maybe the one with the interior boot handle on?

Yes , something is lose in boot looks like ,but I don't know or its handle or smth other ,because when i hit it lightly at boot interior peaces nothing rattels or similar noises when I drive through road

Take a screwdriver and hit the right side of the exhaust with the handle. It may be the spring/valve on the exhaust that's making the noise (need to fix that on mine)
That's a good point ,i will try that ,if that problem appears then only fix is under warranty i guess then?

Hi,

I had a similar issue. In my case, it turned out the 5th door/boot door does not fit properly, they were a bit twisted in the hinges. It causes the doors stops (the black plastic/rubber coated thing which is on to the inner side of doors and shut lay on the bumper when doors are closed) to have a few millimeters travel which causes the rattle noise. Just open the boot, look from the downside on the edge of it, and you will see those two black bastards. Try to shake them a bit side to side and you will hear the rattle. You can screw them out or in one or two turns simply by your hand, the side depends on which side your dors are twisted. Don't screw them out too much, as you will not be able to close the boot properly.

Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem with my Fastback, but none of the tips here worked...
since this topic is a year old by now i want to ask you if you had any other solution, that isnt explained here.

i checked:
the trunk interieur (thrown everything out) --> doesnt help
The back seats were already adjusted by the dealer, they rattled also --> now silent
the rear seat belts can also rattle if not properly seated on the fabric loops on the back
the door stops are properly set up, they are compressed with the boot down

I also heard that the headlining is poorly sound deadened, the cables running through may also cause some noise, but it definitely comes from the boot area...

that ticking noise is so annoying, sounds almost like a cable or something, which is smashing on the plasic or metal parts in the trunk

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have a similar problem with my Fastback, but none of the tips here worked...
since this topic is a year old by now i want to ask you if you had any other solution, that isnt explained here.

i checked:
the trunk interieur (thrown everything out) --> doesnt help
The back seats were already adjusted by the dealer, they rattled also --> now silent
the rear seat belts can also rattle if not properly seated on the fabric loops on the back
the door stops are properly set up, they are compressed with the boot down

I also heard that the headlining is poorly sound deadened, the cables running through may also cause some noise, but it definitely comes from the boot area...

that ticking noise is so annoying, sounds almost like a cable or something, which is smashing on the plasic or metal parts in the trunk
You need to remove the boot trim including the tailgate trim and look for unclipped cables. Also loose bolts for any of the components including the rear strut brace.

I had a similar issue. In my case, it turned out the 5th door/boot door does not fit properly, they were a bit twisted in the hinges. It causes the doors stops (the black plastic/rubber coated thing which is on to the inner side of doors and shut lay on the bumper when doors are closed) to have a few millimeters travel which causes the rattle noise. Just open the boot, look from the downside on the edge of it, and you will see those two black bastards. Try to shake them a bit side to side and you will hear the rattle. You can screw them out or in one or two turns simply by your hand, the side depends on which side your dors are twisted. Don't screw them out too much, as you will not be able to close the boot properly.

I've had a clear rattle from somewhere near the back for ages.

Read this thread, wound out the two rubber legs a little, and you can feel / hear the difference when you close the boot lid.

Rattle now completely gone...! :D

You need to remove the boot trim including the tailgate trim and look for unclipped cables. Also loose bolts for any of the components including the rear strut brace.
is there an Instruction on how to remove the trunk trim and the Boot trim at the sides ?
It is so annoying...

Already did that, nothing changes at all.

Yes , something is lose in boot looks like ,but I don't know or its handle or smth other ,because when i hit it lightly at boot interior peaces nothing rattels or similar noises when I drive through road

That's a good point ,i will try that ,if that problem appears then only fix is under warranty i guess then?

did you find the solution on your ticking noise ?
please give us an update, you would help me so much.

Here's the relevant pages but if you want the complete manual go to
https://service.hyundai-motor.com/euro5/index.tiles
You can pay for 24 hour access to the manual, if ou install something like cutepdf you can print all the manual to this pdf printer and save the results on your PC.

Attachments

• body boot side trim.pdf
    381.4 KB · Views: 31
  • body boot trim removal.pdf
    498.3 KB · Views: 31
  • body tailgate adj.pdf
    407.9 KB · Views: 31
  • body tailgate trim.pdf
    404.7 KB · Views: 30