• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Golf GTD/I Mk7 to i30n?

welshinzaghi

Jul 9, 2020
Wales
Hello!

First post here but have been browsing a lot... love the look of the i30n fastback and seems to tick all the boxes. Just had a baby and want something that has a bigger boot - had considered 3 series touring/A4 Avant/Golf R estate but a) wanted something that isn’t £475 a year to tax and b) also less nickable than a Golf R haha. I can’t find anything that matches the value x performance x practicality of the fastback

The fastback looks awesome and it passed the pram test when I took one for a spin on Friday. Seem to have a decent quote from a dealer for a new one but all hinges on whether they can find one in engine red... the apr and deposit contributions on new cars is actually making it a more cost effective proposition than buying nearly new

Has anyone moved from a Mk7 Golf GTD/I over to the N and if so, how’ve you found it? I had a crap experience with a Megane GT (the 1.6t released before the full RS) and went back to a VW group car (Leon > Leon > Megane > Golf). Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Cheers

Tom

I came from a manual Golf R mk7.5.
Don't regret it at all, the N is way more fun and engaging.

thanks! How do you find it day to day? the layout of Golf (and Leon) is like muscle memory to me so sure there’d be some learning to do. I really love my Golf GTD tbh, although quality is sometimes disappointing eg alloy corrosion, water leaks through passenger doors. Not even high mileage either 40k, nearly 4 years old. It eats miles though - the 184 is a good cruiser.

Could anyone help with service intervals on the N too? Hyundai UK website service booker suggests 10k miles but then a pdf of the manual says oil change every 6k in Europe? Seems excessive considering everything else in this class is 10k (or even 20k long life on the R). I’m ok with the cost of running re fuel but all those extra oil changes will get pricey when doing 10-12k a year

thanks! How do you find it day to day? the layout of Golf (and Leon) is like muscle memory to me so sure there’d be some learning to do. I really love my Golf GTD tbh, although quality is sometimes disappointing eg alloy corrosion, water leaks through passenger doors. Not even high mileage either 40k, nearly 4 years old. It eats miles though - the 184 is a good cruiser.

Could anyone help with service intervals on the N too? Hyundai UK website service booker suggests 10k miles but then a pdf of the manual says oil change every 6k in Europe? Seems excessive considering everything else in this class is 10k (or even 20k long life on the R). I’m ok with the cost of running re fuel but all those extra oil changes will get pricey when doing 10-12k a year

the service interval differs from country to country. In the UK, you should have 10k miles.
(justas an example: Germany has 10k kilometers :D)
Here's the relevant part for you UK guys:

the service interval differs from country to country. In the UK, you should have 10k miles.
(justas an example: Germany has 10k kilometers :D)
Here's the relevant part for you UK guys:

Thank you! I’ll ask the dealer tomorrow too and get that in writing to be on the safe side ahah but seems pretty definitive. 10k miles/12 months is not a problem then. See some suggesting an oil change after run in so might consider that anyway

Reactions: Bu11eT
Had a Golf GTI Clubsport MK7 before this car.

Golf was more refined, (way) more high quality interior / infotainment and more liveable on daily base.

It lacked excitement, fun, sound. The i30n is way more fun to drive, and that's what I was looking for.

What I miss is a fancier interior, but with some extra alcantara and carbon bits in the future it can be spiced up a bit. Infotainment is a big step back, maybe the upcoming facelift is a step in the right direction. As for possible options, the only thing I really miss is adaptive cruise control. That worked like a charm on the Golf in combination with the DSG. Regular CC is such a let down when you are used to ACC. :)

I came from a Octavia Rs Tdi 13', that is the same package as a Golf Gtd and I never looked back. Sure the Rs was way more economical, the seats were the best I ever had in a car and the sounddystem was great but those are the only three things in favour of the Rs.
When it comes to roadholding, performance, fun, reliability, value for money... the N wins hands down.

My R was hugely specced up (dealership managers special) but honestly I can't say I miss anything. Active cockpit, ACC, Dynaudio, full leather etc. Meh! I fitted a JB1 to mine and it was like an express train, still dull.

The N's interior is nowhere near as "classy" but its just as well laid out (if not better). Seats are better, gearbox is better. Steering is another level, brakes are better etc etc.

Oh, the reverse camera installed under the VW badge that flipped up when you selected reverse, that was smart!!
Also the way you could customise the car via OBD apps (OBDeleven etc) and turn on/off various options was cool.
But honestly, I'm struggling to remember much else about the Golf.......

Had a Golf GTI Clubsport MK7 before this car.

Golf was more refined, (way) more high quality interior / infotainment and more liveable on daily base.

It lacked excitement, fun, sound. The i30n is way more fun to drive, and that's what I was looking for.

What I miss is a fancier interior, but with some extra alcantara and carbon bits in the future it can be spiced up a bit. Infotainment is a big step back, maybe the upcoming facelift is a step in the right direction. As for possible options, the only thing I really miss is adaptive cruise control. That worked like a charm on the Golf in combination with the DSG. Regular CC is such a let down when you are used to ACC. :)

So I quite liked the interior when I test drove on Friday but it was disappointing in some places - just small things, like the plastic across the middle of the dash, center tunnel and handbrake and no adjustable armrest. And door handles made of plastic. But otherwise everything you touch for driving seemed good, liked the wheel. Infotainment is a big unknown for me I guess until you live with it for a while. I only use Apple CarPlay on the Golf so plan to do the same with the i30N - as far as I can tell there aren't any major bugs with that? What does concern me is rattles! Anyone had dash rattle problems with the i30? I had loads in the Leon, expected better in the Golf but had it back in 3 times for dash rattles

Re ACC - it's actually one of the things I don't like so much about the Golf - it can work nicely until you realise you've cruised down from 70 to 60 behind a truck whilst listening to the radio. Also in heavy traffic the sudden heavy braking to maintain a safe distance when something pulls in front can be a bit unnerving. It seems a bit brighter on my wife's Polo (19) vs the older system in mine (16). I also have a manual so maybe the ACC isn't as effective in this as it would be on the DSG models.

I came from a Octavia Rs Tdi 13', that is the same package as a Golf Gtd and I never looked back. Sure the Rs was way more economical, the seats were the best I ever had in a car and the sounddystem was great but those are the only three things in favour of the Rs.
When it comes to roadholding, performance, fun, reliability, value for money... the N wins hands down.

Thanks! I actually preferred the seats in the i30 for adjustments vs the Golf - I have standard tartan seats so the materials on the i30 seats are a step up I think. Can't fault the overall support and position/ergonomics in the Golf though. I can absolutely see that value for money

My R was hugely specced up (dealership managers special) but honestly I can't say I miss anything. Active cockpit, ACC, Dynaudio, full leather etc. Meh! I fitted a JB1 to mine and it was like an express train, still dull.

The N's interior is nowhere near as "classy" but its just as well laid out (if not better). Seats are better, gearbox is better. Steering is another level, brakes are better etc etc.

Oh, the reverse camera installed under the VW badge that flipped up when you selected reverse, that was smart!!
Also the way you could customise the car via OBD apps (OBDeleven etc) and turn on/off various options was cool.
But honestly, I'm struggling to remember much else about the Golf.......

So I test drove an R estate of a similar spec but much preferred my GTD when I jumped back in - the DSG box was brutally efficient on the change but the power didn't seem all that usable, although it went like stink. Despite the much lower power output the torque in the 184 makes it feel quicker and more fun to wring the power of it in a way that doesn't mean you are straight into losing your licence territory. The i30N felt slower but definitely more engaging and I love the rev matching. Was surprised that it was relatively slow off the line given the power output but wondered if that was down to tyres

But thanks everyone for your opinions. I'm waiting to hear whether they can get the right colour but £26.5k for a brand new fastback seems like a good deal (unless anyone has had better?!). The other thing in mind as mentioned is the incoming facelift - I'd kick myself if there was a big jump in interior quality, for example, but so hard to tell until there is news and the dealer didn't seem to think it'd be available until mid 2021

Reactions: Bu11eT
The other thing in mind as mentioned is the incoming facelift - I'd kick myself if there was a big jump in interior quality, for example, but so hard to tell until there is news and the dealer didn't seem to think it'd be available until mid 2021

The facelift will defo get a new navigation system and (maybe) smaller gimmicks like the digital dash as well as some assistants which are missing in the current model. But those are still rumors, nothing official yet (apart from the DCT option ;) )

Reactions: welshinzaghi
Also nearly forgot: Double check if you are even able to spec a brand new car from Hyundai. At least in Germany you can't, as they are shifting the production towards the facelift.

The facelift will defo get a new navigation system and (maybe) smaller gimmicks like the digital dash as well as some assistants which are missing in the current model. But those are still rumors, nothing official yet (apart from the DCT option ;) )

Maybe I'm getting old but I actually prefer the analogue dials in most cases to digital dash. Especially with the rev lights on the i30! New navigation system would be of interest though as the current one is... pretty chunky. I'd go manual anyway. But feel like I'd be unlikely to get the same amount of discount on the facelift

Also nearly forgot: Double check if you are even able to spec a brand new car from Hyundai. At least in Germany you can't, as they are shifting the production towards the facelift.

I can't - it's just remaining stock here in the UK, hence the trouble in finding a red one. They're letting me know today whether they can get the last one from another dealer, but otherwise only about 30 left to order, mainly blue, handful of black

No dash rattles here and I haven't seen others complaining (except the wiper cover creak, which is an easy fix and not applicable to newer models anyway).
It seems although the plastics are very hard in the i30n, they are fit together really tightly. If anyone has taken pieces of the trim apart - they know how Hulk you have to go to remove them in the N :D

For the wife or the baby?

Hahah very good. I was really surprised at how much space baby gear takes up - thought the Golf boot would be OK but once pram, changing bag in etc there is like no room even with the floor dropped. I can't find anything else in the market like the N fastback apart from the BMW 4 series (tax is stupid expensive for good performance). I know Mercedes do the CLA but not really my vibe

Update: sourced a red one. Going for it!
Congratulation. You won't regret it :)
Even if some other cars have better interior/materials or are quicker, the N will give you something the other cars don't do - and that's tons of emotions :)

Cheers! I am really excited - first proper petrol performance car. Hoping this makes up for 48 hours with a GT86 (went back, bad brakes) and the Megane with a shockingly bad auto box. Next: build up courage for a track day 😂

Cheers! I am really excited - first proper petrol performance car. Hoping this makes up for 48 hours with a GT86 (went back, bad brakes) and the Megane with a shockingly bad auto box. Next: build up courage for a track day 😂

What Megane model did you drive?