• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Brakes Brake Upgrade Discussion (Discs / Pads / ... )

Just saw the video from Asian Petrolhead on the new DCT VN. He mentions that there's a new, bigger 4-piston caliper coming out from Hyundai:

Anyone got info on when it'll be available?

Just saw the video from Asian Petrolhead on the new DCT VN. He mentions that there's a new, bigger 4-piston caliper coming out from Hyundai:

Anyone got info on when it'll be available?
Thats part of the N performance parts i believe, and its not cheep. Its over 1 grand USD and only for the front brakes. Theyre sexy, but not necessary honestly (unless you track the car). The oem brakes stop on a dime even in wet conditions. Im considering european brake pads. Forgot the brand name but they classify their brake intensities with colors. "Yellow stuff" for example. I think "green stuff" is the best one for daily because they claim better performance over OEM and significantly less dust.
Does anyone know the brand im referring to?

Last edited:

I found it. "Redstuff" would be the most ideal but i dont believe they make it for the i30n

If anyone knows alternatives for ceramic brake pads that fit the performance package brakes im all ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
The EBC Balanced BBK (Blue) 355mm Disk - Hyundai i30N looks good I must say I always liked the style of those calipers compared to the standard ones which we have on our cars, for the braking performance alone it is worth the upgrade as the concept car has that type of caliper just a pity they did not transfer that to the i30N performance suppose cost came into the equation. Now there is this Mono Block brake system not as nice looking as the Forge or the EBC but then those calipers are not TUV or CE approved so how would that work with the insurance suppose it woulnt.

Anyone on here know when the Mono Block brake system will be released as an upgrade.

I got an update on the warranty. I had my carr in for service and the woman who is on the front desk lets just say her attitude is very abrupt take it or leave it kinda attitude. Well, I was chatting with the technician guy about changing the brake lines immediately she called the service manager out and yelled at the service manager to explain to me that if I change the brake lines on my motor vehicle I will void the warranty on the car completely and not just to the individual part which has been modified. I don't know how true this actually is or was she having a laugh has anyone else modified parts on their car and still avail of the warranty because I was told it would be complete void 100%

I am thinking of buying the EBS BBK Big Brake Kit, as with the new rims I purchased the front end of the car will look what I think and imagined it should have looked like for the beginning as Hyuandi definitely cheaped out in the brake caliper department.

Should I wait another two years on the warranty ending or should I bit the bullet and install the brake kit now and say hell to the Hyundai warranty as what can really go wrong. My better self says to wait at least another two years by that time I will definitely be upgrading the front brake calipers. I dunno I just don't like very much the OEM calipers.

It's highly unlikely that Hyundai would completely void your warranty for simply modifying your brake lines. To be honest, I call BS on whatever that service-desk woman said, maybe she's got to prove something, who knows.

With the big-brake kit you may have problems with warranty involving the brake system and perhaps part of the suspension, depending on what needs to be modified.

Suppose if I went back to Hyundai with the big brake kit installed then they would not be able to charge me for brakes and discs as part of the service and I think this is what irritates them. You are correct I was only changing the brake lines but now I have decided on the Big Brake Kit, I have been in contact with EBC all day today regarding their kit, seems to be pretty good from what I have read and the cherry on top is that brake kit is road legal in Europe, as I asked that question directly and received the answer back with 100% proof of conformity.

Knowing me I will more than likely wait another two years just to be on the safe side, as you say they could deny a claim if the suspension started to paly up and knowing my luck that is exactly what would happen to me.

Your biggest issue would be if you had an accident and hadn't declared the modification to your insurance company.
As far as the Hyundai warranty goes, if there's any kind of brake issue, (master cylinder,abs etc) they'll probably point to your brakes and say that's why it happened.
If it's an engine issue or gearbox etc, they'd be pretty hard pushed to blame it on a brake upgrade.

Reactions: GazmaN and Jajodu
I have to admit I agree so better to wait until the car is out of warranty, then god willing ill do the BBK on its last year of warranty as it wont matter. Does anyone know the proper sequence to bleed the brakes I downloaded a European calliper fact sheet on the Hyuandi braking system but that line bleeding process was for a Left hand car so anyone ever bled the brakes on the Right hander.

Don't want to end up with a blockage as that would be a nightmare until I am sure ill have ti wait. Can anyone give advice I did ask at Hyuandi garage as to the proper sequence but it went down like a lead balloon and they just told me some load of nonsense about affecting the warranty of the car. So they totally avoided my question. Anyone here ever bled their car to replace brake lines or likewise who would know for sure.

EBC Big Brake Kit Is totally street legal and it seems to be a direct replacement part with no modifications needed so it looks to be a good brake kit from what I'm reading and the guys at EBC have been very helpful also with answering my concerns.

Yes I'm doing this job myself as a mechanic would never take the time & care fitting this big brake kit, I want to take my time with care when fitting g these components that is why I am asking in what sequence are the right hand cars brakes bled in what sequence. No one as yet was able to answer that question thus far you would reckon someone on this forum would have an answer wouldn't you.

Yes I'm doing this job myself as a mechanic would never take the time & care fitting this big brake kit, I want to take my time with care when fitting g these components that is why I am asking in what sequence are the right hand cars brakes bled in what sequence. No one as yet was able to answer that question thus far you would reckon someone on this forum would have an answer wouldn't you.
I was just a bit concerned about your expertise, please don't be insulted but brakes are pretty important. The way I'd do it would be this, clamp off the LHS front brake hose, remove the old caliper, install new caliper and attach the new braided line to the new caliper, then remove the old hose from the car and quickly connect the new line, this will minimise fluid loss, then bleed through that side, repeat on the other RHS caliper. If you're quick swapping the hoses you will not empty the reservoir, you can always put a plastic bag under the master cylinder cap , this will seal the reservoir and minimise fluid loss.
When bleeding always start at the furthest point from the master cylinder. I use a vacuum brake bleeder connected to my airline and it sucks the fluid through the bleed valve, makes it one handed bleeding.

Last edited:
Bleeding Sequence I use for RHD , Left Rear then Right Rear , Left Front finally Right Front or according to workshop book Right Rear , Left Front , Left Rear , Right Front.

I did mine Rear left then right, Front left then right. Furthest away from the master cylinder first. Worked no problem.

Reactions: Who! Me.
I was just a bit concerned about your expertise, please don't be insulted but brakes are pretty important. The way I'd do it would be this, clamp off the LHS front brake hose, remove the old caliper, install new caliper and attach the new braided line to the new caliper, then remove the old hose from the car and quickly connect the new line, this will minimise fluid loss, then bleed through that side, repeat on the other RHS caliper. If you're quick swapping the hoses you will not empty the reservoir, you can always put a plastic bag under the master cylinder cap , this will seal the reservoir and minimise fluid loss.
When bleeding always start at the furthest point from the master cylinder. I use a vacuum brake bleeder connected to my airline and it sucks the fluid through the bleed valve, makes it one handed bleeding.
I do know and understand that brakes are a critical component of the car and if as a result of my incompetence if it was found I caused death to others by my incompetence I would be facing Jail time and a criminal record, not to mention the guilt and worry that would come as it would cause me worry not for myself but for the poor individuals that I wiped out because I did not know what I was doing Not to worry as I have a guy who is my brother in law, he builds cars, can strip engines basically a self-taught mechanic he has been doing this for over 35 years as he purchased and broke up we Vauxhalls and made one good car out of 5 I think for his son and he is doing that for all his children amazing work he even resprays them it is amazing what he can do he has always serviced his own cars, his father’s car, so he experience and definitely knows what he is doing I asked him is this something he can assist me with and he said wee buns quite elementary.

You are correct I would not be doing this on my own and if I did not have the brother in law in no way would I ever even consider working with such a critical component of the car as it could cause life changing consequence. I understand your concern and you are quite correct to point that out as I know you were only looking out for me and keeping other road users and pedestrians safe. I have no concern over your comment and I would be like you by voicing my concern with such a project no worries and no offence taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jajodu