• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

What car's won't you try you luck against?

The n for me is no where near as torquey and as good power delivery as my type r. It does go but the n needs some provoking a bit the type r was effortless really here.

Had a bit of fun with a monaro from a slow traffic kept up with him for a bit had to drop a gear or so. Maybe he wasn't trying lol

I do luv the n though and I'm stoked on its looks especially from the rear qtr and the rear. Miles better steering wheel too!

Last edited:
Reactions: mickjf and iiNNEX
Kinda, but don't forget: from a standstill you'll absolutely lose, when going ~100kph not as much anymore - you get an even bigger advantage if the Tesla was driving quite fast for some while before as the performance is then limited to ~150-200kW while accelerating (except the new 100kWh models, they fixed this issue on those.)

Reactions: Mightymoo
Yeah I know, I guess what I was trying to say was: I thought this thread was about "close opponents" like a Focus RS, Audi TTS a V6 Mustang and so on. Those would all be quite close but pretty sure slightly faster.

That's why I thought saying "I won't race a Tesla" is kinda obvious....Just like I wouldn't race an RS6, GT2 RS and so on you know?

i wouldnt race any 1000cc bikes or cars that i know have over 400hp. Or maybe i would try, but they wouldnt even notice i did, because they gap me so hard.

Any bike over 500cc / 50hp is enough. My little 500 “learner approved” Moto does 0-100kph in 5.5sec and it’s slow...at 180kw/1000kg it beat the heck outta the 130kw/1000kg of the N ;-)

Reactions: GazmaN
Not replying to anyone specific..
but you do realize that the N (low profile tire, e-diff, rev match, more rear downforce, e-dampers etc) wants to tell to you "I wanna turn" ?

*My opinion* is that straight line acceleration is completely out of the scope of this car and in fact not on its favor at all. I do understand though that it is "safer" to do a straight line pull rather that doing time-attack.

I think it's very capable automobile. However, it's not in the class with what I comment to above. I've owned them all and their just another class of automobile.:)

With a competent driver, they're quicker by a wide margin. The equalizer is the rain. Supercars unless set up well for the rain suffer to get the power down sufficiently.

That's why I thought saying "I won't race a Tesla" is kinda obvious....Just like I wouldn't race an RS6, GT2 RS and so on you know?

Agree, it should be obvious ;).

The reason I mentioned is that I did it «race» a Tesla by accident on the highway.

It was dark and we went from two lanes to four and I had a car up on my tail. Planned to leave him behond when the road widened.

When he passed me, I understood why... :cool:

You
Any bike over 500cc / 50hp is enough. My little 500 “learner approved” Moto does 0-100kph in 5.5sec and it’s slow...at 180kw/1000kg it beat the heck outta the 130kw/1000kg of the N ;-)

You can «race» them on twisty back roads. It all depends on the balls of the rider.

Reactions: GazmaN and Davo01

Id still race you. Autobahn ez win, from 0 challenging, but not if you missshift or sart poorly ...

Reactions: Davo01
Haha! Speaking from experience in both the N and the moto, you’d get spanked 0-100. But yeah a good launch is key - in both vehicles lol.

After 100kph or so the little ol’ 500 would run outta legs, while the N would just keep going hard. Same as from a rolling 60kph the N would kill the little 500.

My mates Z800 would be a different story. It would flog the N in all cases below 180kph. He’d barely have changed into second when you’re changing into third lol. 0-100kph is about 4 seconds even with a cautious start hehe.

You

You can «race» them on twisty back roads. It all depends on the balls of the rider.

Oh yeah. I’m afraid I’m probably faster through the twisties in the N - at my age I’m a tad more aware of “consequences” these days lol!

How do you know m not speaking with moto experience too ;)
Ive got a CB 500 f, which is about the same:cool:

Im not saying ive got good chances, im just saying id try anyways haha

Reactions: Davo01
How do you know m not speaking with moto experience too ;)
Ive got a CB 500 f, which is about the same:cool:

Im not saying ive got good chances, im just saying id try anyways haha

Haha. Nice - 500R here :) I agree - it defo would be worth a shot hehe. And could really upset the riders day with a bit of luck hahahaha

Reactions: Spoddy
As much as it pains me to say it... but I won't race just about anything. The N is defintely on the slower side in regards to acceleration.

It's a corner machine but that doesn't really translate to playing on the street very well. Just about any hot hatch will beat these cars to 100. The dual clutch AWD variant will be a different story.

The n for me is no where near as torquey and as good power delivery as my type r. It does go but the n needs some provoking a bit the type r was effortless really here.

Agree completely and I'm surprised at how much of a difference there is, both in feeling behind the wheel and the raw numbers.

My FK8 Type R is deceptively fast once up and going 80-120kmh in third is a flat 3 seconds compared to the high 3s for the i30N. 0-200kmh is ~18 secs for the Civic compared to ~23 secs for the i30N.

You really notice the extra 110kg in the Hyundai and the difference in power delivery, particularly above 100kmh.

Reactions: Danloki