• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

What car's won't you try you luck against?

Agree completely and I'm surprised at how much of a difference there is, both in feeling behind the wheel and the raw numbers.

My FK8 Type R is deceptively fast once up and going 80-120kmh in third is a flat 3 seconds compared to the high 3s for the i30N. 0-200kmh is ~18 secs for the Civic compared to ~23 secs for the i30N.

You really notice the extra 110kg in the Hyundai and the difference in power delivery, particularly above 100kmh.
Are you really saying the N is 110kg more than an type R? not according to the official figures they are near identical, and with at least 35bhp more I'm not surprised it's quicker what would you expect?

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo01
From the figures that I find, i30N vs TypeR-fk8 is:
Weight (Kg): 1400-1480 vs 1380-1420
HP: 275 vs 320
TQ (Nm): 353-378over vs 400

So more Hp, more torque and less weight for the honda

Reactions: Davo01
Are you really saying the N is 110kg more than an type R? not according to the official figures they are near identical, and with at least 35bhp more I'm not surprised it's quicker what would you expect?

In Australia the tare mass of a Type R is 1365kg and the i30N 1478kg so 113kg difference.

Don't get me wrong I love my i30N for what it is, but for two cars in the same FWD hot hatch segment the difference is more than most people might think if you were to try your luck.

To be honest I won't try with any other cars, there's no point. The car was designed to be fun for the driver and was never about laptimes. If you're in a straight line roll/drag race all that tells you is who or what manufacturer built the car with more power or a faster shifting gearbox, it's pre-determined.

The thrills you get are from the illegality of it and if you win, the feeling of winning, but again that's pre-determined by the power/engineering in each car. It might be more fun when each cars characteristics makes for a more fun race like a late spooling turbo car coming from behind to win but still.

It’s only predetermined if it’s an auto, and you ignore reaction time. If it’s a manual, then the launch becomes pivotal - driving the N you’d know this: cock up the launch, then you’re wheel spinning and axel tramping into humiliation:)

The thrill comes from the casual muttered “wanker, what were they thinking?” As you walk on them ;-)

As much as it pains me to say it... but I won't race just about anything. The N is defintely on the slower side in regards to acceleration.

It's a corner machine but that doesn't really translate to playing on the street very well. Just about any hot hatch will beat these cars to 100. The dual clutch AWD variant will be a different story.[
3,117 lbs Honda Type R/HP 275/TQ/ 260 lb-ft
3,036 lbs Hyundai Veloster N/ HP 315/TQ / 295 lb-ft
Are Veloster Ns 315 hp or is that yours after a tune? thought the N and the Veloster had the same engine and power output.

Reactions: R Veloster N
In Australia the tare mass of a Type R is 1365kg and the i30N 1478kg so 113kg difference.

Don't get me wrong I love my i30N for what it is, but for two cars in the same FWD hot hatch segment the difference is more than most people might think if you were to try your luck.
Imagine if we had the engine of the FK8 in our N :oops::oops:
On a side note i have a mate who owned an N for bit less than a year. He had it Stage1(conservative safe tune) to about 290HP and 440Nm. He was always a Honda guy so he went back to the TypeR after selling it. And he says the power difference is very noticeable aswell :D He does miss the sound though :D

When are people on here going to stop comparing a type r that costs £36,000 and has 315 bhp with a £29,000 N which has 271bhp, we all know how that will end up, do you think Golf gti owners compare their cars with a type r? of course they don't.

Reactions: Danloki