• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Technical bulletin for misfire/high pressure fuel pump

Garth

Feb 1, 2018
Vienna
Car almost died on the way home this evening. Almost no power, no movement on the turbo guage.

At first I though it was a really strong head wind, dropped down from 5th to 6th, but I wouldn't accelerate.

Going up moderate inclines it would slow down and on the flat it maxed out at 120km/h.

Just glad that I didn't have to stop in the side of the road and call a breakdown service. That would not have been fun at -8°c.

So I guess it's going into the garage first thing in the morning.

Put together a short video, if this thing starts up completely normal in the morning I need to have something to show the garage. But you can hear from the exhaust there there is a timing or firing issue.

Check your boost hoses although they are normally undriveable when they pop off.

No engine management lights either?

Boost/turbo issues was my first thought, but it's too dark (and too cold) to look at it this evening. I would be surprised if a hose has just "popped off" but we shall see in the morning.

No error's on the computer or dash.

Sounds like the high pressure fuel pump doesn't work properly. This is a well known issue. There are many different threads on that topic in the German forum. Typical symptoms are:
- uneven engine power
- engine misfire
- loss of power
Later:
- "check engine" in the dashboard
- corresponding error in the fault memory
Contact your dealer - he should already be informed.

Reactions: paul-h
Boost/turbo issues was my first thought, but it's too dark (and too cold) to look at it this evening. I would be surprised if a hose has just "popped off" but we shall see in the morning.

No error's on the computer or dash.

Some Fiesta ST180 had this problem and it was due to a slack jubilee clip on the intercooler.

That almost sounds like limp mode or even a timing issue...

Definitely seems like it’s in limp mode, but not EM light is incredibly strange.

Not good news at all - hope all is revealed come the morning.

Sorry mate!

Took the car into the Hyundai garage this morning. With a cold start, it would not go faster than 100km/h on the highway, I was seriously concerned that I would not make it.

I then watched the car spluttering as the technician drove it in to the workshop. Just had a call saying that the computer doesn't have any fault codes, so they cannot do anything. Any further investigation without a fault code would not be covered under the warranty.

I just sent them a copy of the video that I made yesterday.

@Moritz do you have any links to forums where others have reported this issue?

I would would be threatening to take it higher both with Hyundai and with local politicians. you have spent all that money on a brand new car and it is now not fit for purpose. It would leave Hyundai with bad press if this got out and im sure they would tell the dealership to sort it and put it to bed so that the press dont get wind of it.

disgusting after service, hope you get it sorted soon Garth

http://www.hyundaiboard.de/hyundai-...n-liegen-geblieben-hochdruckpumpe/index5.html

This is the thread I referred to in my previous post about the typical symptoms.
Thanks. I was searching the internet but didn't find it. I have forwarded to the dealer.

To be fair, they are not being unfriendly about it, just saying that they are not able to diagnose the problem. Though I do find it a bit strange that they say only faults registered on the computer are covered. What happens if there's a problem with the computer?

Reactions: ellroy
[update]: So shortly after I forwarded the forum link I got a call from the dealer. They have "diagnosed" the issue and it's the fuel pump as expected. It will take 1-3 weeks for the replacement part to arrive, but I can take the car home and use it for "low speed" journeys.

Reactions: TomB
Good that you will get it fixed, disappointing that they seemed to believe that anything not showing up on the computer would immediately make the investigation not warranty related despite it being a clear problem in this case.

[update]: So shortly after I forwarded the forum link I got a call from the dealer. They have "diagnosed" the issue and it's the fuel pump as expected. It will take 1-3 weeks for the replacement part to arrive, but I can take the car home and use it for "low speed" journeys.

I'd be wanting a courtesy car mate for the longer journeys, unless they offered and you have other option?

Reactions: richard strong
I'm hoping that the 1-3 week wait is just worst case scenario, others have had theirs done in 2-3 days. If it doesn't get sorted out by early next week then I will have to push for a loan car.

I wouldn’t be using it at all.

Lack of fuel can lead to lean running but it does seem like the ECU realises this and isn’t letting the engine create any boost!

I’d think
I wouldn’t be using it at all.

Lack of fuel can lead to lean running but it does seem like the ECU realises this and isn’t letting the engine create any boost!

Clever little thing. Interesting that they say you can still drive it but at low speeds. I’m not sure I’d be using it all.

Easy fix by the looks of it though. You’ll be desperate to get the car back in top shape Garth...

Reactions: shetanks and asd