• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning i20N Engine & ECU Tuning Discussion

Is this stage one? Are these colder plugs than oem? Does KLASEN recommend them?
As I think the gearbox of the i20N seems not very strong to me and does a lousy shifting task to me I wonder how long it will keepbup to a tune. I have to mention that before this car I had already four tuned cars. So I’ really into it but I don’t dare to do it to my i20N because of the gearbox. And I have no idea if I have reason to doubt about it…
 
Is this stage one? Are these colder plugs than oem? Does KLASEN recommend them?
As I think the gearbox of the i20N seems not very strong to me and does a lousy shifting task to me I wonder how long it will keepbup to a tune. I have to mention that before this car I had already four tuned cars. So I’ really into it but I don’t dare to do it to my i20N because of the gearbox. And I have no idea if I have reason to doubt about it…
Have you changed the oil in it yet? The oil also lubricates the LSD and after I saw reports of the oil being dirty after 10,000km I had mine changed at 16,000km and it was filthy. I used Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75 full synthetic and the shift has been really decent.
 
Why do you think the i20N gearbox is weak? I’ve had no problems with mine and the shifts are consistent and precise irrespective of load and my car is heavily tuned with a hybrid turbo etc.
 
Have you changed the oil in it yet? The oil also lubricates the LSD and after I saw reports of the oil being dirty after 10,000km I had mine changed at 16,000km and it was filthy. I used Penrite Pro Gear 70W-75 full synthetic and the shift has been really decent.
Changed it allready 4 times in four years. First time I had some very dirty oil in it but no metal parts! Then I changed it again few thousand kilometers later and clear oil without metal parts. Now I change it every year before winter. Next time in a few weeks. At the moment I have Red Line mt-lv 70-75W gl-4 high performance for manual transmission.
Still it suffers from being difficult to take the reverse in the morning when cold oil. And still crappy shifting from second to third…
Also, I do have the feeling the lsd doesn’t work every time… on my daily route to word I take the same corner and sometimes the car really understeers and other times it corners very well and I could have taken it at a higher speed. So not much confidence…
Hyundai dealer doesn’t feel much, they say everything works fine.
 
Last edited:
Why do you think the i20N gearbox is weak? I’ve had no problems with mine and the shifts are consistent and precise irrespective of load and my car is heavily tuned with a hybrid turbo etc.
Maybe my car is trying to tell me something…
 
Changed it allready 4 times in four years. First time I had some very dirty oil in it but no metal parts! Then I changed it again few thousand kilometers later and clear oil without metal parts. Now I change it every year before winter. Next time in a few weeks. At the moment I have Red Line mt-lv 70-75W gl-4 high performance for manual transmission.
Still it suffers from being difficult to take the reverse in the morning when cold oil. And still crappy shifting from second to third…
Also, I do have the feeling the lsd doesn’t work every time… on my daily route to word I take the same corner and sometimes the car really understeers and other times it corners very well and I could have taken it at a higher speed. So not much confidence…
Hyundai dealer doesn’t feel much, they say everything works fine.
Mine is super slick cold and goes through a mid warm up point where it can be a bit hesitant into 3rd but that goes away warmed up. Compared to an ND MX-5 I had it's a dream and the GT86 was a pain too, that got a new gearbox under warranty. I don't need to use reverse cold but i'll try it next time. Everything that i've seen suggests the gearbox is strong as is the engine.