• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis Battery for weight reduction

Ruben_i20N

New Member
Jan 30, 2024
16
1
3
SPAIN
Good afternoon,
I am considering ways to reduce weight at the front of the car. I have ruled out installing a carbon fiber or fiberglass hood, as the weight difference compared to the original is barely 3–4 kg (based on a comparison between the stock hood and the EPR brand version sold on Alibaba). link
My second option is to install a LiFePO4 battery; the car is used only occasionally for mountain road driving and short trips—and perhaps track days in the future. There is a significant weight difference. The option I have been considering is this one:

40Ah | 12,8V | 1200A | Lithium Starter Batterie | integriertes Multi Dynamic BMS​

With this charger, to charge it when necessary.:
CS-ELECTRONIC XF1205 Automatik LiFePO4 12V/5A Ladegerät im Metallgehäuse -120W-

I have a few questions about installing a battery with these specifications.
1- Will the LiFePO4 battery suffer from being near the engine, given all the heat generated?
2- Will the car be able to manage the charging of a battery that differs from the original without issues?
3- The original battery is 60Ah and the LiFePO4 is 40Ah (Pb-eq 90Ah) ; will this be sufficient so that I don't even need to buy a charger, and will the battery avoid going dead if I only drive the car once a week?
4- Is it worth buying a lighter battery or moving the original one to the trunk?

Greetings!
 
I have a Deadweight Industries Touge 500. On the plus side it is very light and does start the car. On the negative it doesn’t charge, or hold charge, as well as a standard battery and the nanny electronics mean it appears dead when it does still have charge. So it will all be fine - then you go to start the car and it won’t have it - or open the doors etc. So really it needs to be on a trickle charger when not being used.

Oh, I also have that exact bonnet you have linked to - but I didn’t pay that much for it. As you say, it is lighter but not by a huge amount. I guess you could cut the inside support out (which is where most of the weight is) and use bonnet pins all round.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jerome92
  • Like
Reactions: YNWaN
I haven’t tried the headlight on to charge trick but it does make sense. However, I also cant say I felt any advantage to the weight reduction - but, on the other hand, I did rather concentrate my efforts to increasing the hp.
 
I would simply use a little STD or EFB which is about 12 kg and costs 60-80€, not the ultimate weight saving. But cheap and no stress with charging or miss behavior.
 
I have a Deadweight Industries Touge 500. On the plus side it is very light and does start the car. On the negative it doesn’t charge, or hold charge, as well as a standard battery and the nanny electronics mean it appears dead when it does still have charge. So it will all be fine - then you go to start the car and it won’t have it - or open the doors etc. So really it needs to be on a trickle charger when not being used.

Oh, I also have that exact bonnet you have linked to - but I didn’t pay that much for it. As you say, it is lighter but not by a huge amount. I guess you could cut the inside support out (which is where most of the weight is) and use bonnet pins all round.
Hi! Thanks for your reply. I might consider replacing the hood if the price isn't too high. Could you tell me which Alibaba seller you bought it from? I'm attaching a link to see if it's the same shop, since I see several stores offering it. Carbon Fiber Hood
 
I got mine from EPR International Company Limited.However, looking through the buyers reviews for the company you linked to I see someone posted a picture of the shipping case it came in and mine was identical to that.
 
I had a Lithiumnext street 85 installed. Great battery untill someone spilled brake oil on it. Now there’s a big hole in the top so
Not installed anymore.
Saved about 20kg weight compared to the oem one. Ingaf this battery from my bmw f30. So it I had to modify the trench to get it into place.
Driving: after installing the oem one again I thought I had less power but I think the car was reacting less nimble, especially in shorter corners I have the feeling it just takes a little more effort to get the car cornering.
 
AFAIK the stock one is something like 17.5kg, so 20kg saving seems a bit optimistic... but for sure even 10kg is quite a massive gain
 
AFAIK the stock one is something like 17.5kg, so 20kg saving seems a bit optimistic...
I'm running a LithiumNEXT STREET85 on my i30 N as well. The old battery (Varta A7 12V 70Ah 760A) weighed 20.4 kg, so I saved about 13.9 kg. Not quite the 20 kg mentioned, but still roughly 14 kg off just from a battery swap. The price is steep, though...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jerome92
AFAIK the stock one is something like 17.5kg, so 20kg saving seems a bit optimistic... but for sure even 10kg is quite a massive gain
Bought the car second hand and didn’t have the stock battery, as mentioned by the Hyundai dealer. Reason? So it weighted 26kg… my Lithiumnext was about six kg…
Assumptions….
 
  • Wow
Reactions: Jerome92