• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Grinding noise on startup

Hi guys

I've just started to experience this same issue via push button start.

It's only happened a couple of times, but not on every occasion.

When it did occur it was both on cold starts.

Best way to describe it is like turning a key in an ignition for too long.

Any ideas?

Hi guys

I've just started to experience this same issue via push button start.

It's only happened a couple of times, but not on every occasion.

When it did occur it was both on cold starts.

Best way to describe it is like turning a key in an ignition for too long.

Any ideas?
Starter motor solenoid sticking?

Reactions: nnn30n
Hi, after a month in possession of the car and replacing injectors and hpfp, it's been improved a way better. Now the starts are more consistent (but not perfect), and running in first gear ( in a parking for example) is more stable the engine. I think that it's not perfect but has resolved the 80% of the problem.

My issue is not strictly start up related but on a few occasions (4x) , after turning on the engine , getting ready to move off (handbrake down), the clutch is raised fairly high with a bit of gas but the car won't move(?) Then if I raise the clutch further the car begins to move but shortly after there is a loud click which sounds like a spring almost, any ideas what this could be? I am looking to take it in under the warranty but would like some pointers aside my experience.

Many thanks

My issue is not strictly start up related but on a few occasions (4x) , after turning on the engine , getting ready to move off (handbrake down), the clutch is raised fairly high with a bit of gas but the car won't move(?) Then if I raise the clutch further the car begins to move but shortly after there is a loud click which sounds like a spring almost, any ideas what this could be? I am looking to take it in under the warranty but would like some pointers aside my experience.

Many thanks
Sounds like the rear pads are stuck to the disks, usually after wet weather or washing the car.

Reactions: GazmaN and i30uxk

Many thanks
This is a known issue and a rather large thread attributed to it. Put the car in reverse first and attempt to back up first. This will generally release the pads.👍🇺🇸

Last edited:
Reactions: i30uxk
Anyone have this issue?

When starting the car it cranks and as soon as it turns over, a huge grinding noise (almost like a gear grinding noise) lasts for around 2 seconds and then everything seems fine. Note that clutch is fully pushed in before pressing engine start button and gearbox in neutral, from the three times it happened it seems like it only does it on cold startups.

Owned the car for around 4 months now, car was previously a demo car for the showroom. (Car delivered with around 60km) Car now has around 3600 km on it, so far I've experienced this three times and it doesn't seem like a thing that can be replicated on command, just every time I start the car I'll have to hope it doesn't happen.

Thanks.

I've had similar noises, only on cold starts, in as much as the engine fires up but the revs are too low, about 900rpm, and the ECU throws the starter motor back in to the mix.

The workaround is this.

Do not press the clutch pedal, press the start button twice, this allows the in tank pump to prime, then turn off the ignition, press clutch pedal and start as normal. This always results in a proper cold start with revs climbing to 1500rpm. No grinding starter noises since I've used this method.

Last edited:
Still having the issues during cold start up. Any way to prevent from the grinding issue?

Also for now the grinding doesn't happened if cold start in N mode.
Only question is this doesn't happened before and it started happening randomly in normal mode during cold start..is it bec ageing, milage on the fuel system?
Current milage 102k km

Anyone have this issue?

When starting the car it cranks and as soon as it turns over, a huge grinding noise (almost like a gear grinding noise) lasts for around 2 seconds and then everything seems fine. Note that clutch is fully pushed in before pressing engine start button and gearbox in neutral, from the three times it happened it seems like it only does it on cold startups.

Owned the car for around 4 months now, car was previously a demo car for the showroom. (Car delivered with around 60km) Car now has around 3600 km on it, so far I've experienced this three times and it doesn't seem like a thing that can be replicated on command, just every time I start the car I'll have to hope it doesn't happen.

Thanks.
still having the grinding issue? same scenario happened. Mine also demo car unit but 102k km milage already... Only during cold start it happened.

Solenoid engagement, is most likely the issue. Might require a replacement starter or new solenoid.👍🇺🇸
My own way everytime cold start i just press the gas pedal a bit to making the rpm higher n thus preventing from the cranking issue (bec of low rpm during cold start)

Did anyone ever figure out what the noise was and the fix? I have the HPFP to replace if that's part of the problem, but did it end up being the starter motor and/or the solenoid? Mine is also random and mostly on cold start but happens regardless and I'm pretty much at 70k miles.

Did anyone ever figure out what the noise was and the fix? I have the HPFP to replace if that's part of the problem, but did it end up being the starter motor and/or the solenoid? Mine is also random and mostly on cold start but happens regardless and I'm pretty much at 70k miles.
Did decarbon, throttle vlv cleaning, fuel system cleaning (GDI system). Also did injector cleaning found injector #1 blocked and #3 not performing. Injector cleaned n back to normal. Monitor the car and no grinding starting seen for now(happens always during cold start early morning)

Reactions: BenVelosterN
I used to very occasionally have this problem and it sounds like the starter motor intervening because the revs were so low initially after starting. I suspected injector problems, so I used a few bottles of Forte injector cleaner which cured it immediately. I now regularly use super unleaded. Never had the issue again. Amazon sell the Forte injector cleaner.