• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Engine Grinding noise on startup

SCFRobbie

May 6, 2019
Hong kong
Anyone have this issue?

When starting the car it cranks and as soon as it turns over, a huge grinding noise (almost like a gear grinding noise) lasts for around 2 seconds and then everything seems fine. Note that clutch is fully pushed in before pressing engine start button and gearbox in neutral, from the three times it happened it seems like it only does it on cold startups.

Owned the car for around 4 months now, car was previously a demo car for the showroom. (Car delivered with around 60km) Car now has around 3600 km on it, so far I've experienced this three times and it doesn't seem like a thing that can be replicated on command, just every time I start the car I'll have to hope it doesn't happen.

Thanks.

Reactions: Raul_I30Nblue
Then it's not the release bearing, which is a good sign. :) They might need to purge air in the line or at worst replace the slave cylinder concentric assembly or regulator. Take it to the dealer, tell them know what's going on and have them look at the system.

It's the starter not disengaging from the flywheel most likely. Multiple people have this issue but so far no fix under warranty because it throws no codes so the dealerships "don't even know where to begin to look".

Since it happens only a couple/few times a month you'd have to be very lucky to replicate it at the dealership. Basically a situation that will have to get much worse, or more frequent, to make progress on.

I would try to record your startups, but even with videos they are unlikely to do anything unless they witness it firsthand, or the car tells them something is wrong.

Reactions: tacthecat
I didn't read very well, sorry. I need to have my glasses on.:oops: @Nomad17 is correct, the only thing I can add is, have them check the positive and negative leads and make sure there is no corrosion on the terminals at the starter. If the solenoid is not disengaging, than it maybe an amperage issue

Last edited:
It's the starter not disengaging from the flywheel most likely. Multiple people have this issue but so far no fix under warranty because it throws no codes so the dealerships "don't even know where to begin to look".

Since it happens only a couple/few times a month you'd have to be very lucky to replicate it at the dealership. Basically a situation that will have to get much worse, or more frequent, to make progress on.

I would try to record your startups, but even with videos they are unlikely to do anything unless they witness it firsthand, or the car tells them something is wrong.

Dang that sucks, and yeah I was wondering if I could get it warrantied because it is fine basically 99% of the time. Anyone have an engine diagram that shows where the starter motor is? Maybe I can do a visual check if its not cramped inside.

Also, would this be a concern in terms of mechanical wear over time?

Thanks!

Dang that sucks, and yeah I was wondering if I could get it warrantied because it is fine basically 99% of the time. Anyone have an engine diagram that shows where the starter motor is? Maybe I can do a visual check if its not cramped inside.

Also, would this be a concern in terms of mechanical wear over time?

Thanks!
Wouldn't throw a code anyway, it's a mechanical problem. You have to raise the vehicle on ramps and get under to access the starter motor.

The same thing happens to me, I'm from Spain, I usually spend 1 out of 10 or 15 times that I turn it on cold.
I have done 8000km, at 10k it is the first maintenance, I will tell you what happens to me, to see if they know how to solve it.

I’ve also been told it’s the high pressure fuel pump

Hi all, this is my first comment and I ended up here due to grinding noises and unstable starts on my i30n 2019.

My story is that I bought in a hyundai dealer with 40.000km and a week before the noises start. After being in Hyundai workshop 3times replacing plugs, admission valve and starter motor.

I recorded many start up and sended to my hyundai dealer and Hyundai Spain (I am from spain) and the latter told me that is a factory problem and they are trying to solve it. Now the car is again at workshop to try the injectors replacement coz somebody are getting lucky with that.

My start up videos in youtube:

At the time of the video, the starter motor was already replaced. Before that, and lately its been doing some difficult starts like the injectors doesn't have enough pressure to input the gas.
I let a video as a better example

Reactions: Ahtnukiav
Try priming the injectors before starting. To do this turn on the ignition by pressing the start button twice but DO NOT press the clutch pedal, you will hear the in-tank low pressure pump run for two seconds, then press the clutch pedal and start as normal. Does that make any difference?

Try priming the injectors before starting. To do this turn on the ignition by pressing the start button twice but DO NOT press the clutch pedal, you will hear the in-tank low pressure pump run for two seconds, then press the clutch pedal and start as normal. Does that make any difference?
Hi, i ve sometimes try that and no difference. Now after almost 3 weeks at the workshop, they are going to replace injectors and high pressure pump. When finally I ll get it, I will try again and comment here

I had the same problem
Made a video (After trying for one year to catch It on video) and in the end they replaced the starter (i had the problem since the car had 18k km and the starter was replaced at 42k)
Now After 9k km It started again to do grinding noises............

Reactions: Ahtnukiav
I had the same problem
Made a video (After trying for one year to catch It on video) and in the end they replaced the starter (i had the problem since the car had 18k km and the starter was replaced at 42k)
Now After 9k km It started again to do grinding noises............
Take a close look at the ring gear on the flywheel.