• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

How many Hyundai i30 N vehicles are going to be imported in 2018?

Stash-N

Nthusiast
May 24, 2018
Adelaide Australia
Anyone in the know about vehicle numbers coming to Aus in 2018?
My thought is that these vehicles won't be driving around Australian roads in the numbers that we see VW Golf GTi currently.
Not having the self shifter will keep numbers low I assume.
Anyone else see VW are not even bringing a manual Golf GTi to Aus as part of the current model refresh.
Personally the fact that the current cars are manual only actually appeals to me. I want to be involved in the driving experience. Maybe it is because I am older.

Dont have any idea on numbers, but the waiting list is growing by the day. Have seen on Facebook the wait is blowing out to Nov/Dec. I agree that it won't be as common a sight as the GTi, dont think the factory has enough capacity to pump those numbers out. It will be interesting to see the sales once the dct comes out next year.

Reactions: Stash-N
Don't forget.. you are comparing a car in its first generation.. versus 7 generations of GTI.. of which the MK5-7.5 are reasonably similar looking. Of course there will never be more i30N's to GTIs. Not to mention the Golf R's, GTD's, R32's etc.

Hi Bchliu, don't get me wrong, I like the fact there will be fewer i30 N on the road than GTi. Can only help maintain the value of the cars. I am thinking how exclusive the i30 N will be compared to the hot hatch market leader.

Reactions: Bchliu
Anyone remember a mention of 300 cars per shipment at some point... or was that just the initial shipment? Sorry, that's probably not very helpful! @Bill Thomas might be able to help if it's not classified info.

Reactions: Stash-N and Mingy
Not sure if it has changed - but got told its quarterly drops of @300. That kind of explains the latest orders are pushed to October (April, July, October). So guessing would be around 1200 a year or so. I suppose it would be consistent with this article about their Czech plant:

http://www.radio.cz/en/section/business/czech-hyundai-car-plant-expects-drop-in-2018-output

There's about 76000 i30's made (23% of 330,000) this year. Don't know what the ratio of the i30N's are to the other siblings in the family, but even at a 25% (very large ratio), we are talking only 19,000 for the entire world (Europe, US, Asia, Australia). So it's a very good guestimate that 1200 a year. Demand will drop over time as other competitors will come out (eg. Megane RS 2019, WRX 2019, Golf MK8 and it's own Veloster N sibling). That is of course, they don't start up production elsewhere or have it running back home in Korea as well (where the Veloster N will most likely be made).

Did you end up ordering yet?

No, not yet. I have been on the fence for some reason.
My current car's warranty will end soon so I am planning to go for a 2nd test drive and make the final decision soon. But I will definitely want my dealership to tell me how long the wait is before I sign anything, if it is too long then I will probably consider other options. I was trying to get a rough estimation of the wait time from my dealership the last time I was there but they did not want to tell me, either they didn't know anything or they knew the list had blown up.

Hi,

The HMMC plant in Nosovice, Czech Republic, is at full capacity for PDeN (i30 N). The car is in huge demand in Europe (especially Germany, where they had sold 3120 units at the end of April, or 26% of overall i30 sales volume in that country).

Europe started selling the car first, so they have priority.

The first Australian shipment is sold. I won't go into exact numbers but another shipment of cars will arrive in September and they are already accounted for.

After that, the next order will be for September production. That means a best-case arrival into Australia of late October.

So in short, if you order one tomorrow, you will have a wait until late Oct / early Nov at the earliest before the car is delivered to you.

I'm going to coin a hackneyed saying here which will be no help whatsoever: Good things come to those who wait.

This is a car worth waiting for. HN, I hope you like the car even more on your second test drive.

Cheers,

BT

Hey Bill.. would it help to say that if you aren't too picky with the colours or options (Lux or not), then you'd get it quicker with whatever is available in the pool?

Hi,

The HMMC plant in Nosovice, Czech Republic, is at full capacity for PDeN (i30 N). The car is in huge demand in Europe (especially Germany, where they had sold 3120 units at the end of April, or 26% of overall i30 sales volume in that country).

Europe started selling the car first, so they have priority.

The first Australian shipment is sold. I won't go into exact numbers but another shipment of cars will arrive in September and they are already accounted for.

After that, the next order will be for September production. That means a best-case arrival into Australia of late October.

So in short, if you order one tomorrow, you will have a wait until late Oct / early Nov at the earliest before the car is delivered to you.

I'm going to coin a hackneyed saying here which will be no help whatsoever: Good things come to those who wait.

This is a car worth waiting for. HN, I hope you like the car even more on your second test drive.

Cheers,

BT
@Bill Thomas thanks for chasing up that info mate.
Im a bit confused with all the dates being thrown around though. I spoke to the stock controller at the dealership i ordered at (Ordered April) on Friday last week and got told a docking date of early July and delivery late July (which had pushed out from mid July originally).
A few guys on here have been told either July or August too.
There is some serious miscommunication between Hyundai Australia and the dealership network cause everyone is being told something different.
I know an amazing product awaits when it arrives but its quite confusing and disheartening being told all these different dates.

This seems to be the ownership experience, no matter which country you're in. I don't think Hyundai realised the type of customer, N-thusiast, who buys this type of car.

Last edited:
I ordered 13th April, and got my car on 27th April! I did not pre-order. The N gods were shining down on me, I wanted a PB Luxury, and one was available. But I totally understand the frustration if you have ordered, or thinking about ordering an N, and you have to wait months to get your car.

Back in the 80's I ordered my first new car, a 1984 Honda Civic in red. It came 22 weeks later on the next shipment from Japan, and it was blue, not red! I was devastated..... Turned out that the red was really popular, the blue not popular at all, and the dealer got one blue, and one red car, and had two orders for red cars. So they told me they only had a blue one, hoping I would take the blue one. I cancelled my order, and ask for my deposit to be refunded. The very next day they called me and let me know they had managed to swap the blue car for a red one, and I could pick it up next week. Yay!

Long story short, about 3 months later I ran into a guy with a blue Civic, we discussed purchase stories, and he told the exact same story! Turns out he was told the very same thing. He couldn't wait, so he took the blue car, and I got his red car! He was SOOOO pissed!!!! Call it karma, but I almost wrote off the Civic on it's first birthday, $9k worth of damage on an $11,300 car, and they wouldn't write it off. I was 9 months without the car whilst they waited for a complete dashboard to come in from Japan.

Waitlists are always common for rare, exclusive and performance cars. Ferraris have up to two year waiting list. BMW M2 are at least a year, Mustangs were at 18 months at one point. Accept you are buying a car that is rare, first of it's kind, and honestly an amazing drive. Order now, and put up with your old car till it arrives, or order something else and move on. Life is too short to let a car rule your life.

As Bill will tell you, Hyundai is NOT doing this to piss you off, and no doubt even they are surprised at the volume of sales, and doing their best to up the production rate. If they are doing this shortage thing deliberately to keep the hype going, it is working really well!

Hmm this is a bit concerning (we ordered ours a couple of days ago), we could wait for a couple of months (until August or even early September) but having to wait until October or even early November is going to cause some issues.

Cancel the order, and buy a Golf, I hear there are plenty of them out there, and they are doing great deals! Wonder why.....

LOL, only joking!

But honestly, you just have to decide if you can wait that long, and then make a decision to cancel or wait. From an owner who hasn't bought a new car in 21 years (I bought a new Prelude VtiR in 1997 for $53k!), the N was the first (brand new) car in a very long time that really sparked my desire to own. 90's non turbo Vtec Hondas with 8800 rpm redlines have been (and still are) my passion for a long time.

The Prelude was about 1.2 times my annual salary back in 1997, the N was 0.4 years salary to buy in April, so 50% more power and so many more features, for 1/3 of the (relative) price. Cars are SO much cheaper today (relatively speaking).

IMO, the N is definitely worth the wait, no matter how long the wait is.