• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i30 N, Ioniq 5 N, i20 N, Veloster N and Kona N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

SONATA N-LINE

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
I don't get this, and I doubt it's a translation issue :)
"Hyundai's high-performance Sonata N-Line variant".

Surely the N-line is the low performance look-a-like, and the N is the high performance variant. I don't approve of this blurring of terminology. Is there a warm version as well?

Reactions: loafer-N77

Surely the N-line is the low performance look-a-like, and the N is the high performance variant. I don't approve of this blurring of terminology. Is there a warm version as well?

Agreed, they seem to be really pushing the N-Line at the moment. All I see in my news feeds are "Kona N-Line" this and "i10 N-Line" that as top of the range performance for Hyundai vehicles. Yes they might be for a moment but we know a full Kona N and i20 N are coming in the future.

So stop pretending Hyundai :p:D Its almost as if they are being duplicitous to get some sales......

As far as i understand they want to make it clear that when they give the full on "N" title, you can be assured its track ready. They stated the sonata N was not a track car, so when they say high performance N line, it means high performance car that is not track ready. The sonata N line is a hair under 300hp with the wet dct, as opposed to a non high performance N line that would just be the 200hp 1.6t with the dry dct.
Seems like they need to make a 3rd N title.
N line for 1.6
N for anything close to 300hp but not track ready
And N-R for track ready or something easy to recognize.
I think theyre risking sales of the sonata N line by calling it an N line because that car seems to be a beast but it has the same title as the 1.6t.

Reactions: speedking
Ok, I got to drive a new Sonata N-Line 290 hp 310 tq 2.5 liter Smart Sense engine. To say the very least, I'm impressed with the fir and trim of the car. The performance is nothing but stellar. The minute you step on the accelerator, the power deliver is strong and very well controlled.

The engine look small unders the bonnet and at first glance looks like a 1.6T. I had to check the window sticker to be sure. Sound is muffled but throaty especially in Sport +. The dual outlet exhaust has an active valve system as well. Not pops and bangs but great performance.

It's on par or slightly faster than a modified VN. There's no lag when the throttle is pushed to the floor. It just goes, and does so quickly. On a short on ramp, I quickly achieved over 100 mph and the power just kept coming.

Being a Smart Sense engine it is equipped with DPFI so there is elimination of the GDI carbon fouling. I'm seriously thinking about selling the 2020 Kia Soul GT-Line to acquire one.

The engine was tight as dicks hat band and with a few miles will perform even better. I can't see needing to modify the engine but those who do will obviously and quickly will top 300 hp quite quickly. The car is quiet and very comfortable, especially the seats.

The front passenger seat is height adjustable finally. The interior is impressively well laid out. The digital gauge package was spot on and function well. Very easy to see and read without any problems.

What they indicate in the Hyundai article is accurate and even more so;

This is a sub 5.3 0-60 mph car without doubt. I don't believe the soon to be released Sonata N, will outperform the 2.5T Smart Sense engine.
This SOB is quick!!!
$36K and worth every penny.

Reactions: GazmaN

The nline is equal to the Kia GT. It is more n like than the Kona nline, or the Elantra n line. There is not N sonata! It is only just short of a full N. But it may be the closest we will get, and it is more powerful than the usual Elantra nline, I have owned both!

It’s more powerful the VN, Elantra N and Kona N. Has a Smart Stream 2.5T.👍🇺🇸
Numbers are very similar but the Kona N and Elantra N are lighter. I owned them both. Kona too bouncy, Elantra seats are non conforming( not adjustable, passenger even worse! Car was great. Sonata Nline is fantastic and yes wide power band, more refined. I own one now!

290 for the 2.5T, 280 for the i30N and Kona N. IMO Kona N body rolls just like it’s little brother the Kona especially when pushed hard. It also nose dives because of improper weigh distribution and brake bias. Interior was disappointing and also the lack of options.

The Elantra N is just fugly, no getting around that and slower that the VN. I was able to drive the Sonata N-Line with the 2.5T Smart Sense engine for a considerable amount of time and it was a better car all round then both the Elantra N and Kona N. This^I will agree whole heartedly.

To me, Hyundai is ruining the N-Performance line and making it a mom and pop car. Sorry, but an SUV and a 4 door angular body sedan, are not representative of an N-Performance line vehicle. They need to stick with the i30 N hatch and fastback styles.

Again in my opinion if Hyundai has their way, I don’t believe either will be around past 2024.👍🇺🇸

290 for the 2.5T, 280 for the i30N and Kona N. IMO Kona N body rolls just like it’s little brother the Kona especially when pushed hard. It also nose dives because of improper weigh distribution and brake bias. Interior was disappointing and also the lack of options.

The Elantra N is just fugly, no getting around that and slower that the VN. I was able to drive the Sonata N-Line with the 2.5T Smart Sense engine for a considerable amount of time and it was a better car all round then both the Elantra N and Kona N. This^I will agree whole heartedly.

To me, Hyundai is ruining the N-Performance line and making it a mom and pop car. Sorry, but an SUV and a 4 door angular body sedan, are not representative of an N-Performance line vehicle. They need to stick with the i30 N hatch and fastback styles.

Again in my opinion if Hyundai has their way, I don’t believe either will be around past 2024.👍🇺🇸
I concur. I do think though that the Elantra could have had more luxury type features and adjustable seats that offer more comfort, they cut too many amenities, I would have paid $5000 more for the features and a more classy design.

I do love the sonata design and the subtle changes in the styling. I would have still Paid more for 360 cam and ventilated seats. I was a little dismayed that the Canadian sonata nline gets some extra features such as those.

I also agree that the Kona could have been skipped or lowered very low to offer less body roll, it also was too firm and choppy because of the short wheel base and low profile tires! Wh keep it high to maintain cub aspect when we are talking about a sport version?

Last edited:
Reactions: R Veloster N