• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Shift knob removal?

S.R.Nation

Dec 21, 2018
Nj
Just curious if any of you have tried removing the shift knob? I wanted to see how a different knob would look in the N. I am new to the reverse ring and curious if that effects the removal of the stock knob in any way so do I just twist and unscrew the knob off or do I have to do something else?

Just curious if any of you have tried removing the shift knob? I wanted to see how a different knob would look in the N. I am new to the reverse ring and curious if that effects the removal of the stock knob in any way so do I just twist and unscrew the knob off or do I have to do something else?
Just unscrew it. Normal RH thread.

That's taking the complete lever out, all he wants is a different gear knob, the 2nd line in your instructions tell him what he needs to do.

So is it 'pull' or 'unscrew'?

OE service manual says pull... I'll leave the choice up to you lol.

I haven't removed one yet myself so I can't really help you, only pass along the info I have access to. Just remember that if you do try to pull it off, to unclip the shift boot first, and ensure you're not gonna smack yourself in the head and knock yourself out when (if) the knob comes loose o_O

You simply grab hold of the knob, pull up with a bit of welly and it will pop off.

Then look at the bottom of the shift knob there will be a metal pin. (u shaped) That holds it in place.

It's held in place with a the plastic piece. When replacing the shift knob, it moves out slightly to except the shift shaft and then back in place holding on the shift knob.

You simply grab hold of the knob, pull up with a bit of welly and it will pop off.

Then look at the bottom of the shift knob there will be a metal pin. (u shaped) That holds it in place.

It's held in place with a the plastic piece. When replacing the shift knob, it moves out slightly to except the shift shaft and then back in place holding on the shift knob.
Thanks so much but do you have any pics as I'm still a bit confused by the description of the u shaped pin and plastic piece? Did you replace yours and if so do you mind sharing details of what you used?

When I'm ready to replace the current knob, I'll make sure I post some photos. I didn't bother to take any. I'm going to replace the one I have now, with either the Red Stripped N unit or a weighted full carbon fiber unit. Haven't decided quite yet but very soon.:)

The metal pin I spoke of, is better described as a clip I suppose.;)

Last edited:
When I'm ready to replace the current knob, I'll make sure I post some photos. I didn't bother to take any. I'm going to replace the one I have now, with either the Red Stripped N unit or a weighted full carbon fiber unit. Haven't decided quite yet but very soon.:)

The metal pin is spoke of, is better described as a clip I suppose.;)
Oh can you send a link to the red stripped one you refer to

Reactions: R Veloster N