• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Would HUD install be possible?

Barlowe

Aug 26, 2019
Nashville
Hello, everyone! Had an idea, and was curious if anyone else has looked into this...

I know that some markets (namely South Korea) get a lot of extra options that their Veloster N/i30N can be equipped with (heated and/or cooled seats, heads up display, etc.), and I was curious if it would be possible to install this HUD (Heads Up Display) onto a US spec Veloster N, for example? I know that some of the lower trims have options for this (such as the Veloster Turbo), and I didn't know if it would be possible to swap in or not, if someone were to buy the part?

Any reason why? People said the same thing about the TFT Cluster (putting it in the pre 2015 models) for the Fiat 500 Abarth and people (including myself) were able to figure that out easily with some third party software and ODB2 tools.

Is the wiring not physically there? Is it shaped differently etc? Missing computer to control it? More details would be appreciated. I've been looking a bit into this on and off myself if the parts can be acquired. What is the physical limitation?

ECU /BCM software & hardware, various parts that won't cross over, dash, heating ducts, wiring harnesses etc., are completely different, not to mention warranty problems. Nor is it cost a cost effect, retrofit. Need I say more? The VN wasn't' designed with the HUD in mind. If you're looking for the amenities then you need to be considering something else like a GT N-Line Elantra or Sonata.

Welcome and have fun!

Take a look at the forum rules here;
Then introduce yourself here;
Please, utilize the search engine at the top middle left of the page, to quickly find any topics or discussions you're looking for or are interested in. This way it will keep them easy to find fand organized or all members and not to duplicate threads or topics.:)

Any reason why? People said the same thing about the TFT Cluster (putting it in the pre 2015 models) for the Fiat 500 Abarth and people (including myself) were able to figure that out easily with some third party software and ODB2 tools.

Is the wiring not physically there? Is it shaped differently etc? Missing computer to control it? More details would be appreciated. I've been looking a bit into this on and off myself if the parts can be acquired. What is the physical limitation?
The ultimate veloster does come equipped with the HUD. However as mentioned I don’t think it’s possible/worth the effort. I think you would need to swap your whole gauge cluster out for an ultimate. So you’d lose all the N goodies as well as you would need the wiring BCM etc. Possibly in the future when this platform gets more attention but as of right now you’d be opening a can of worms.

Reactions: R Veloster N
If the Veloster HUD is anything like the one in the Kona I demoed, it's terrible. It's not a true HUD projecting on the windshield. In my 2SS 1LE, the HUD is nice, but I rarely use it. I find the brighter it is, the more it keeps me from seeing road hazards like potholes, so I keep it pretty faint. The only real thing on it that's nice is the shift cues, although it looks cool all around. I could easily live without it.

A HUD is a small projector, screen and reflector, in which specific operational parameter are displayed. Fighter Aircraft, have small screens and projector and HUDS in autos today, were derived from them,. These are true HUD's. Functional parameters being projected on the windshield, are not true HUD's. They're easily distorted with ambient light along with being very expensive and complicated.

We had one on our Genesis G80, 5.0 V8 Tau, Ultimate. The windshield alone was inthe range of $3.5K to replace and the integrated projectors, were lodged deeply into the dash and also expensive. They require specific adjustments after a windshield is replaced.

With the true small screen HUDs, there is no special adjustment requirements or protocols. They function independently of any windshield projection.

The HUD in both our Kona 2018 Ultimate and 2020 Soul GT-Line are excellent .. They're multi faceted and easily adjusted when properly set up for the particular driver. If you didn't take the time to set up the HUD correctly on the demo, I can certainly understand why you thought it was terrible. :)

Reactions: Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS
The HUD in both our Kona 2018 Ultimate and 2020 Soul GT-Line are excellent .. They're multi faceted and easily adjusted when properly set up for the particular driver. If you didn't take the time to set up the HUD correctly on the demo, I can certainly understand why you thought it was terrible. :)
Not my impression, it looked cheap, it was easy to get out of it's field of view (being that it was projected about a foot closer than the windshield) the information didn't seem useful, and there's that additional piece of plastic sticking up like a square in front of you (more things to be hit by glare, etc.). My impression definitely wasn't "excellent". Some key things would have to change for that.

My wife and I drive one nearly everyday, do you?:) You're personal determination and inclination, is very limited. So, I have to consider the source as well.

Again, if you didn't take the time to set up the HUD properly from the settings menu, then your ability to access it's functions were also limited.:)

Now back to the op's question and responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS
And looking at my SS 1LE windshield, safelite is coming out to $450 for the HUD windshield. 3.5K sounds absolutely bat-**** crazy. My BMW was around 650, so these numbers make sense to me. 3.5K? Something is not right with that.

And looking at my SS 1LE windshield, safelite is coming out to $450 for the HUD windshield. 3.5K sounds absolutely bat-**** crazy. My BMW was around 650, so these numbers make sense to me. 3.5K? Something is not right with that.
This is true, I work for Hyundai and thought the same thing when they first brought out the pop up HUD. But I was put in my place by the engineer when I questioned the technology. In order for the HUD to function properly on the windshield it needs to be made of a special material and the cost is astronomical to replace if it's damaged. And as mentioned when you mess with the settings and fine tune it to fit your seating position it is quite an awesome piece of tech. And I always utilize it when I get the chance to drive a model with it for an extended period of time.

This is true, I work for Hyundai and thought the same thing when they first brought out the pop up HUD. But I was put in my place by the engineer when I questioned the technology. In order for the HUD to function properly on the windshield it needs to be made of a special material and the cost is astronomical to replace if it's damaged. And as mentioned when you mess with the settings and fine tune it to fit your seating position it is quite an awesome piece of tech. And I always utilize it when I get the chance to drive a model with it for an extended period of time.
Well, I was saying that something doesn't add up because the figures I was quoting above were for HUD windshields, the ones with the special material/coating so it'll reflect the HUD. That's what I have and the windshield does not cost 3.5K. Something is wrong there, even for a G80. I'm getting about $1400 for replacement on safelight and $300 of that is a re-calibration of a lane departure sensor...which isn't inherently related to having a HUD. Other cars integrate these in ways that don't always require this. This is still a long long way off from 3.5K.

The guy above was making it out as if the 3.5K was due to it being a HUD. It's not. Yes, the coating/layer for a HUD windshield is more expensive...it's not 10x more expensive. There's no reason why it would be anywhere near that on a Kona or Veloster, if it used a HUD that reflected off the windshield (instead of an intermediary pop-up). It would probably cost 300-400, 400 high end, since that's what it costs on my much more expensive Camaro. The 3.5K figure from above is just insane.

You need call your local Genesis dealership and they'll be happy to tell you. Then call Safelite and ask what they charge for an OEM Windshield replacement. You're not going to get an OEM quoted by safelite on the internet website.

You've commented with regards to an aftermarket windshield on both occasions, not an OEM windshield from Safelite. If you didn't ask specifically for a BMW or Chevrolet OEM windshield, you got an unbranded, aftermarket unit which vary vastly in cost. OEM windshields cost considerably more, because they meet the manufacturer's specifications and branding. Safelite won't put one on by default.

Then the projectors, sensors and both cameras have to be realigned by the dealership. Safelite is not capable or equipped to deal with them and their finite adjustments. So combined cost for the new windshield, is $3.5K to replace.

I know, I had to have one replaced, it was an OEM windshield, not a default aftermarket from Safelite. Replaced by safelite and calibrated correctly by the local Genesis dealership.

Just because you've never owned a Genesis G80 Ultimate or had to replace a windshield on one, most certainly doesn't mean you're aware of what a new OEM windshield costs. You don't, obviously! We're talking about full replacement, not just the windshield cost. You're not going to purchase a windshield, then not have replace it. I dare say none of us have the equipment or technical savvy to replace it, mate!

You also didn't take in account; the initial cost for the OEM windshield or the cost compared in 2018 to now (higher cost and less availability in 2018). The only windshield available at the time, was a Hyundai OEM windshield. There were no aftermarkets available.

Frankly, there are so many variables you didn't consider including; the shape and size of the windshield, the Genesis G80 has a larger windshield then both the BMW and the Camaro. It's was an imported OEM windshield from Korea, not the US which adds, more cost. Do I need to go further? :)

This is very similar to; jumping into a demo 2019/20 Hyundai Kona once, for the space of a half hour. Not taking the time to properly adjust the HUD thru the user menu setting for yourself personally. Then claiming it's not a true HUD (which it is) or a poor setup, without doing your own personal diligence. Frankly, it's an uninformed appraisal, full of misnomers and poorly derived comments. I say this with all respect, being a present and past owner/operator, who utilizes/ed one daily.:)

(Chevrolet Camaro), Aftermarket Windshield from Safelight;
Order summary
Parts and labor$659.99
Recalibration

Remove
$300.00
Your quote:*$959.99

(BMW 650i), Aftermarket Windshield from Safelite;
Order summary
Parts, labor, and moldings$939.99
Mobile service$34.99
Subtotal*$974.98
Both of these, ^ are not OEM windshields but aftermarket and the lowest cost /quality aftermarket windshields available to safelite. Totals do not reflect or include sales tax, which is dependant upon the state. Actual cost of windshield replacement labor, varies from state to state. Does not include disposal fee either.

Albuquerque, NM/ Sales Tax; 7.875%=$1035.59.+ Disposal $50.00 = $1089.59 Total: Chevrolet Camaro.
Albuquerque, NM/ Sales Tax.; 7.875% = $1051.76 + Disposal %50.00= $1101.76 Total: BMW 650i

Need I say more!

Oh and on top of all this, even after the dirt road! It's still not cost effective for the op of the thread, to retrofit a HUD system, from a Veloster to a Veloster N.😂

Nuff said! 😉😃

Last edited:
You need call your local Genesis dealership and they'll be happy to tell you. Then call Safelite and ask what they charge for an OEM Windshield. You're not going to get an OEM quoted by safelite on the internet
Actually, I did look up the OEM parts costs on these things. I found $1400 for OEM G80 windshield...so you are telling me it's 2K to install it?

I stand by my point, HUD coating does not make a windshield cost 3.5K, not even close. If BMW and GM can do it, surely Hyundai can.

The HUD sticking up in-between the windshield and the driver on the Hyundai is like the aftermarket ones that you can buy. Most likely, Hyundai wanted to keep the cost down for the car, not that a regular windshield HUD like most everyone else does would be prohibitively expensive, but it's a science that automakers use to reach a certain pricepoint, so in that process decisions are made where to save money and what features to keep/discard.

Straight up, bull crap!! You took the cost off of the Safelite website, which is not the OEM uni nor consider any of the valid points I spoke of above. You didn't call them, you quoted just the costs of the windshield, not the full replacement cost.

Your incorrect and welcome to stand by your point. :) However, the points have already been made on four accounts, thru both Mike who works for Hyundai and an owner who knows. 😂

Oh as an added point; I worked on fighter aircraft (reciprocating and jets) as a mechanic. So I know when, where and how a HUD was first developed, utilized and manufactured along with how it operates and functions. They don't project on a cockpit canopy for obvious reasons but on a small screen in front of the aviator and now, inside the aviators helmet as well. 😃

Last edited:
Straight up, bull crap!! You took the cost off of the Safelite website, which is not the OEM uni nor consider any of the valid points I spoke of above. You didn't call them, you quoted just the costs of the windshield, not the full replacement cost.

Your incorrect and welcome to stand by your point. :) However, the points have already been made on four accounts, thru both Mike who works for Hyundai and an owner who knows. 😂

Oh as an added point; I worked on fighter aircraft (reciprocating and jets) as a mechanic. So I know when, where and how a HUD was first developed, utilized and manufactured along with how it operates and functions. They don't project on a cockpit canopy for obvious reasons but on a small screen in front of the aviator and now, inside the aviators helmet as well. 😃
No, I also searched for OEM parts and took the cost of the windshield off a dealer site. I can post some links later.

It may be that price now, but I can assure you it wasn't in 2018!! 😁. Not necessary, then I'd have to dig out the original bill and post it! 😂

Just for grins and giggles, right off the top of my head;

Hyundai Parts Deal now, for a 2017 and the 2018, was more expensive back then.

Your Price: $1505.12
Retail Price: $2040.02

You Save: $534.90

If I remember correctly the windshield alone was right around $2300.00. but lets take the retail cost listed now and add tax, installation and dealer re-adjustments shall we?

$2042.02 w/NM State Tax = $2,201.07 for the windshield alone + installation from the dealers at present time, which is right @$600.00, for labor cost per the book for sensor and camera adjustments + $50.00 glass disposal fee. This will put it at $2851.07 total now,. This is with a plentiful supply of OEM G80 windshields now.

Back in 2018, there weren't and the average wait time was a month from South Korea along with the shipping cost as well. Do you know how much it is to ship a windshield from South Korea? :oops: Nope, the dealership didn't eat the shipping cost either.:mad:

So , taking all these cost in consideration in 2018, we are quickly nearing the exact figure I quoted you in the beginning. :)

Last edited:
It may be that price now, but I can assure you it wasn't in 2018!! 😁. Not necessary, then I'd have to dig out the original bill and post it! 😂

Just for grins and giggles, right off the top of my head;

Hyundai Parts Deal now, for a 2017 and the 2018, was more expensive back then.

Your Price: $1505.12
Retail Price: $2040.02

You Save: $534.90

If I remember correctly the windshield alone was right around $2300.00. but lets take the retail cost listed now and add tax, installation and dealer re-adjustments shall we?

$2042.02 w/NM State Tax = $2,201.07 for the windshield alone + installation from the dealers at present time, which is right @$600.00, for labor cost per the book for sensor and camera adjustments + $50.00 glass disposal fee. This will put it at $2851.07 total now,. This is with a plentiful supply of OEM G80 windshields now.

Back in 2018, there weren't and the average wait time was a month from South Korea along with the shipping cost as well. Do you know how much it is to ship a windshield from South Korea? :oops: Nope, the dealership didn't eat the shipping cost either.:mad:

So , taking all these cost in consideration in 2018, we are quickly nearing the exact figure I quoted you in the beginning. :)

Well again, that's bizarre and I'd call it an outlier, I can name a bunch of cars with HUDs, nice cars, where it's nowhere near that insane price, in fact well less than half. Again, I'd assume Hyundai could do this just fine, if they wanted to. It'd be a marginal increase in cost to something like a Veloster, but car prices and features are carefully engineered and I'm sure it didn't make the final cut.