• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

World Rally Championship

Well done to Tanak and a real champion material, despite those different setbacks. However, he has to calm down , to become at a Ogier level of dominance. In other words, don't work too hard until saturday afternoon, when your rivals will remove themselves from the leaderboard, such as Meeke and JML.

If TN stays at Hyundai, I wonder what would the dynamic be when it comes to team orders and such decisions. No one likes a Senna/ Prost situation.

I prefer TN to move to Toyota , to balance the WRC out, otherwise Hyundai would be too strong and there is no need for 2 x top dogs in a teams.

Why don't WRC2 or ERC champions gets a promotion to full WRC? The likes of Elfyn Evans had been in the game for too long without achieving much, even when taking over as team leader at M-Sport.

I would really love to see the likes of Kejatanowicz, Kopecky, Tildamend, Luckyanuk, stepping up into a partial, if not a full WRC works programme.

if Katsuta can get fast tracked, then please , can someone give Henning Solberg a works seat.

Henning has never won a WRC round, is older than Petter, and is never going to win a WRC event. Maybe if Volvo enter WRC he can get a drive as a Scandinavian, don't think Norway make cars.
Katsuta has shown some promise but how that develops remains for the future. Much like Japanese riders in MotoGP who show promise but have never come close to the big bike title.

The likes of Jim McCrea/ Mikkola/ Blonqvuist/ Waldegaard were not young men with hipster haircuts when they were at their best , with Group B cars.

Henning never was given the chance with the right budget. He is a seasoned WRC campaigner out of his own or his sponsors money, and will sure to bring home valuable points towards the manuf . championship.

Not like Meeke, who is fast on a friday and desroys the car a day later. I don't ever remember anyone got sacked from a team like he did. If Meekes gets a works seat, then Gigi Galli should get one too.

Maybe Toyota should do a Hyundai and get Petter and Marcus to come out of retirement! That would be some dream team.

It looks like Evans is heading for Toyota with young Rovenpera the only driver already signed for them.
True enough with Jimmy, Hannu, et al but the sport was different then and rewarded experience. The RAC was a 5 day rally with full night stages and no rest stop in a 48 hour stretch. If drivers got 4 hours in bed they were lucky. I well recall sleeping in cars, freezing through the night following the RAC around the UK and have seen all the guys you mentioned.
It's all sprints a monster speed now with no chance to start slow and get your flow going.

For me Citroens decison to quit WRC, made whole game less interesting for next year :(
It is 99% sure that Ogier, Evans and Rovanpera will run Toyotas next year. Tänak, Neuville, Sordo and Loeb will run Hyundais next year. And thats all for factory teams... M-Sport as a private team has Sunninen and another driver will be someone who bring some money with him (Ostberg or Paddon). So it might happen that we will not see Latvala, Meeke, Mikkelsen, Breen and Lappi making full season next year.

Reactions: GazmaN
That would be a big loss to the series. Two manufacturers is not enough for a healthy WRC, Ford will not commit fully and there is little sign that other manufacturers are on the way. For a sport that is more closely related to road cars than increasingly irrelevant F1 it's sad to watch it's slow demise from the glory days of the 1980's and 1990's.

That would be a big loss to the series. Two manufacturers is not enough for a healthy WRC, Ford will not commit fully and there is little sign that other manufacturers are on the way. For a sport that is more closely related to road cars than increasingly irrelevant F1 it's sad to watch it's slow demise from the glory days of the 1980's and 1990's.

Citreon want to quit? I did not see that coming.

yes, its a shame less and less brands are involved. The FIA needs to make the WRC more relevant to car sales. Maybe a change in the rules that allows more manufacture to be involved without the massive budget of developing a WRC vehicle.

I want to be contraversial here. How about going Group N with some suspension / safety tweeks allowed?

This way, any manufacturer can have a car homologated for WRC purpose and it can be close enough to a showroom car where the public can buy one. Or race one even.

For example, did you guys see those Porsches and Arbarths in the 2018 Monte Carlo? Imagine a private team would run them for a season, and Porsche/ FIAT will get the publicity if they win.

imagine them being rallied in the Safari, with bullbars and engine snorkles.

Have 2WD cars lighter to 4WD cars to equalise the competition.

The WRC cars are becoming too group B and Citreon only makes school run cars.

Anyway, WRC is over and i am looking forward to the Dakar.

The car park at Penmachno would beg to differ.

what i meant was WRC season is over for this year, without Australia. No point is thinking about the details for now. A rally fan like me gets the hangover until Dakar.

the closest to anything official is the autosport show in the NEC.

I am just looking foward to the new WRC Safari, with the bullbars.

That was a monster off at near 100mph. Took too much of a cut on the way in and bottomed the car hard in a compression so no steering on the way out with the front wheels off the ground.
Ott and Martin had angels on their shoulders at that moment. Many other places on that road could have had dire consequences.
It does show how strong modern WRC cars are built that the safety cell and equipment around the crew did it's job. That car is scrap though.
Thierry is still right in the lead battle with the Toyotas

Last edited:
Congratulations to Hyundai WRC Team for the first victory of the season and the first ever for Hyundai, Thierry Neuville and Nicolas Gilsoul in Monte Carlo :D

Good to see Ott and Martin without injury and raring to go for Sweden too.

This season promises to be a real fight for Hyundai with Ogier / Ingrassia and Evans / Martin in the Toyotas and I would expect EP and Suninen will be in the fight at the front in the Ford's soon.

Reactions: Bu11eT and GazmaN