• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wireless Apple CarPlay

chur1996

Dec 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I know there's various wireless dongles that have mixed results, but has anybody tried this specific one?

Mostly seems to get good reviews, with the odd poor one thrown in.

I'm mostly concerned about whether it maintains its connectivity, or does it keep dropping out? Is there any lag time between using the touchscreen on the headunit and the corresponding action taking place - that would be very frustrating! Is there any difference in sound quality?

For approx. £100 it doesn't seem bad value...unless it's rubbish of course.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US

densil101

Sep 14, 2018
UK
I have the carlinkit (newest version) and it works flawlessly. All steering wheel controls work perfectly. Not much delay even on phone calls. Only problem which is true for all such setups is that If you use CarPlay whilst wirelessly charging the phone gets pretty toasty!

chur1996

Dec 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I have the carlinkit (newest version) and it works flawlessly. All steering wheel controls work perfectly. Not much delay even on phone calls. Only problem which is true for all such setups is that If you use CarPlay whilst wirelessly charging the phone gets pretty toasty!
Ouch. What phone are you using? Does it get noticeably hotter than when plugged in via wired USB connection?

paugs

Mar 17, 2019
Barcelona
Wireless charching does get the device hotter. But it's completely normal. If you want to save battery use wired carplay.

densil101

Sep 14, 2018
UK
Yeah it’s not a problem really. If you’re doing a shirt journey (less than 30 minutes) if it’s longer I just plug it in directly to the phone and all is well. But yes it does get significantly hotter than using a wired connection. I’ve got an iPhone SE (mk2) but I believe all iPhones heat up similarly

chur1996

Dec 2, 2019
United Kingdom
UPDATE:

Received the kit yesterday. Connected and set up when I got home from work - very straightforward to do, despite what some of the negative reviews say. The instructions are a little vague in places to be fair - all you need to do once the initial search screen appears is click on the search bar, your phone will then appear and just select it, the rest is done automatically.

Connected automatically this morning when I got in the car and drove to work: journey lasts about 20 minutes, it worked fine. No drop outs, no loss of connection, everything was good. Used my TomTom app as a test, there was no lag whatsoever - when I passed under a bridge for example, the screen corresponded to my location exactly.

So far, so good: I'll update in a week or so when I've used it more, I suppose the real test will be on a long journey of a few hours. But I must say that at the moment it all looks promising 👍