• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Fastback Wind noise on doors

Teddy

Sep 24, 2020
Germany
First of all, Correct subforum? Please move if not.

Anybody has had Issues?
Car is an i30N Fastback, culprit is the passenger front door.

When I recieved the car It was from 180 km/h onwards. It is only logical that you can hear the air at this speed, but my front passenger door made like tripple the noise and the pitch is higher.
Car was back to the dealer, door was adjusted. Door is now firmer.
Now I have a higher pitched noise from the passenger front door from ~ 205 km/h upwards. Wind direction matters, too

Tried making a short vid, but the phone filters the screech out quite well, so the vid is useless.

It did not affect me this year, due to covid the car was not moved much and basically not at all on the Autobahn.
My usual way to work is about 50% unrestricted highway, so should everything get back to normal it will be a problem.

Any ideas? Just back to the dealer?

Dunton10

Apr 11, 2019
Sutton Coldfield
Have I got this right, your going 128 mph and your worried about a bit of wind noise. I’d be concentrating on the road/traffic. I’m lucky to average 28 mph on my commute Lol

Reactions: Nthusiast69

Teddy

Sep 24, 2020
Germany
Im very much going "against the flow", so while everyone rushes into the city I'm going outward in the morning. This means empty roads while the opposite lanes are crouching forward.
Sometimes lucky I guess.

Doesn't change the fact that it's annoying.

Jajodu

Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Im very much going "against the flow", so while everyone rushes into the city I'm going outward in the morning. This means empty roads while the opposite lanes are crouching forward.
Sometimes lucky I guess.

Doesn't change the fact that it's annoying.
You need to take a passenger with you.
See if they can pinpoint the noise while you're driving.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Two locations generally speaking; one at the very rear of the top edge of both the drivers and passengers doors Also at the front edge of the both doors where they curve towards the top. For some reasons (possibly aerodynamic compression of the door frame) both these areas are subject to noise at higher speeds. I suspect one, has to do with the other.🤔

Mason Storm

Mar 28, 2019
Hertfordshire
I’ve also noticed a slight noise on my drivers door the dealer adjusted the door but I think it was worse afterwards
I basically gave up asking and have no faith they can sort it after that
I can only envisage a lot of visits and no resolution

Dj_Nick

Oct 26, 2018
Madrid
www.djnick.es
Same for me some weeks ago. As @R Veloster N says, in the rear-top edge. Is easy to identify because is next to de ear, but I heard it at 100 Km/h onwards and was a rain day.
For now, the solution for me was to pull slightly the round part of the door seal. Fast and easy.

Other options I've considered / used in the past are:
- Dismount the seal first and apply some air heat gun (or left at direct sunlight in a hot day), so the rubber recover its shape;
- Dismount and reassemble, but trying to stretch a little the seal in the straight parts and compress the 'excess" in the problematic zone, so it become more tough to the deformation;
- As in this Wheeler Dealers episode, fill the seal with soft rubber, cord or neoprene strip.

By other side, I think it's difficult don´t hear wind noises, whistles (or start to flight 🚀 ) at 180 or more.

Reactions: R Veloster N

Mason Storm

Mar 28, 2019
Hertfordshire
Same for me some weeks ago. As @R Veloster N says, in the rear-top edge. Is easy to identify because is next to de ear, but I heard it at 100 Km/h onwards and was a rain day.
For now, the solution for me was to pull slightly the round part of the door seal. Fast and easy.

Other options I've considered / used in the past are:
- Dismount the seal first and apply some air heat gun (or left at direct sunlight in a hot day), so the rubber recover its shape;
- Dismount and reassemble, but trying to stretch a little the seal in the straight parts and compress the 'excess" in the problematic zone, so it become more tough to the deformation;
- As in this Wheeler Dealers episode, fill the seal with soft rubber, cord or neoprene strip.

By other side, I think it's difficult don´t hear wind noises, whistles (or start to flight 🚀 ) at 180 or more.
Thanks for the YouTube link I might try that

Reactions: Dj_Nick