• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tyres Why won't my i30N drive straight with new tyres on? - How I fixed it.

diego

Feb 6, 2022
UK
I've finally fixed it. In my case it was a combination of things:

I had 1 unbalanced tyre, needed a proper tracking and the steering wheel was out of axis.

I would recommend doing a hunter tracking & road force balance, and have them check the steering wheel.

I hope it helps.

Jajodu

Nthusiast
Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
I recently replaced the front tyres on my N with standard P Zero 235/35 R19 HNs. Since then, at speeds above 40mph especially, the car wouldn't drive in a straight line, instead it kept wandering to the left and required constant slight pressure on the steering wheel to keep it straight. I checked tyre pressure, had the geometry done and checked that one brake caliper wasn't getting hotter than the others, but nothing solved it.

I took it to Hyundai today and took out one of the technicians who, after taking a little while to convince, agreed that the car was indeed drifting to the left. Having plugged the car into the diagnostic computer, there was a stored DTC (C126104: steering angle sensor not calibrated). They calibrated the sensor and re-did the geometry and now the car drives fine, no pulling to the left. Hyundai couldn't explain why changing the tyres would have caused the steering angle sensor to become un-calibrated, and as there were no warning messages or lights on the dash, other than what I was noticing, there was nothing to suggest that there was a problem.

Hopefully this is useful to anyone else who suddenly experiences issues driving in a straight line.
Did you have LKA activated?

The Lone Wolve

Nthusiast
Nov 4, 2018
cannock, south stafforshire
what kind of people could a steering recalibrate? The dealers will get a heart attack if you suggest something so sophisticated to them. They just want you to have a service and replace brake pads and air filters. By the way, KwikFt in the UK does an ADAS calibration service. It's a booked service, not walk-in, but pretty straightforward. They can do any cars and i think its about 200GBP more or less.

R Veloster N

Nthusiast
Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
what kind of people could a steering recalibrate? The dealers will get a heart attack if you suggest something so sophisticated to them. They just want you to have a service and replace brake pads and air filters. By the way, KwikFt in the UK does an ADAS calibration service. It's a booked service, not walk-in, but pretty straightforward. They can do any cars and i think its about 200GBP more or less.
Setting a steering angle sensor to zero is part of an alignment job. It’s the last thing the alignment program asks for.👍🇺🇸