• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

why so many N Perfomance? Buying advice

the 19 inch wheels suit the body better and look better imo. Pretty sure it also gets the active variable exhaust and the 250N doesn't? Not quite sure on the latter

The 18" standard wheels feel a lot better for day to day driving (from my experience on UK roads) compared the the 19", I did try both.

The 250N doesn't come with the variable exhaust however that just means it's on the loudest setting all the time, which isn't the worst thing ever.

Plus electric leather seats with memory function, tinted rear glasses, keyless entry etc as stantard.

It's true you don't get electric leather seats with a memory function, which looks great on paper unless you're the only one that drives the car *cough* manual seats dont move unless you change them *cough*, the cloth seats also don't crease up as much as the suede/leather seats do.

Tinted glass is standard on all i30N as is keyless entry.

Ultimately comes down to the 250N being a marginally better every day car and the N-Performance being more of a track beast.

The 250N is also lighter and slightly more fuel efficient although that's negligible.

Reactions: theitaliaN
The 18" standard wheels feel a lot better for day to day driving (from my experience on UK roads) compared the the 19", I did try both.

The 250N doesn't come with the variable exhaust however that just means it's on the loudest setting all the time, which isn't the worst thing ever.

It's true you don't get electric leather seats with a memory function, which looks great on paper unless you're the only one that drives the car *cough* manual seats dont move unless you change them *cough*, the cloth seats also don't crease up as much as the suede/leather seats do.

Ultimately comes down to the 250N being a marginally better every day car and the N-Performance being more of a track beast.

The 250N is also lighter and slightly more fuel efficient although that's negligible.

Yep, reading the opinions above, it all comes down to the offer you get and whether or not you want to drive it in a track.

Here its not. The keyless go plus tinted glasses dont come stantard. They include in the comfort package witch costs extra. Doesent come stantard.

Last edited:
The N performance is the only one worth buying imo.

If noise bothers you, change wheels to 18 inch, plenty of aftermarket choices that will still clear the brakes.

100% agree. Unless you get an absolute killer deal on a 250.

They did not even bother taking in the 250 in Norway. No interest for it.

I agree on your concerns with 19 inch wheels. I consider going down to 18.

The Performance also has:
-Bigger brakes
-Variable exhaust valve (very nice).

IMHO, the perfect package would be factory delivered Performance with 18 inch Ultraleggera rims (light) and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Agree with all the other comments. In Aust, they didn't even bother to bring the N into the country, they offered 3 models, N Performance, N Performance with Luxury pack, and N Performance with LP and sunroof.

As I have never driven an N, I can't comment on the differences, but after fitting a set of AD08Rs to my track tyres and 50 odd laps of Qld Raceway, I can tell you, The N Performance (mine has LP, but basically irrelevant on the track) is freaking awesome. I discovered my car and new track tyres are more capable than the size of MY balls. I tried SO hard to lose traction on corners, and other than a little bit of trail braking over steer, which was tidied up quick smart by the Electronic LSD under acceleration, the car can handle ALL you can throw at it unless you are under 25, you have no fear, and probably no brains..... LOL.

Go the performance, you won't regret it...

Oh, and I agree the 18" wheel and tyre combo is SO much nicer on the really average roads of Australia. I have 18*8.5" wheels for both road and track. Road are +44 for that "stance look", and track are forged BBS wheels +55 to preserve the correct wheel position to minimise component wear.... I run 245/40 R18 tyres on both sets of wheels.

Reactions: theitaliaN
Oh, and I agree the 18" wheel and tyre combo is SO much nicer on the really average roads of Australia. I have 18*8.5" wheels for both road and track. Road are +44 for that "stance look", and track are forged BBS wheels +55 to preserve the correct wheel position to minimise component wear.... I run 245/40 R18 tyres on both sets of wheels.

Very interesting, thanks. Can you share the link of the wheels you're using? Cheers

It's true you don't get electric leather seats with a memory function, which looks great on paper unless you're the only one that drives the car *cough* manual seats don't move unless you change them *cough*, the cloth seats also don't crease up as much as the suede/leather seats do.
Unless you don't take your car to the dealer's then you aren't the only person that drives it. Use seat setting 1 for your position and when the long legged short armed T-Rex at the dealership has changed all the settings it is a single push to make it all correct again :)

Unless you don't take your car to the dealer's then you aren't the only person that drives it. Use seat setting 1 for your position and when the long legged short armed T-Rex at the dealership has changed all the settings it is a single push to make it all correct again :)
They are the best thing ever.
For quite boring reasons I drive in trainers and change into my shoes when I get to work. Now I have position 1 as my standard seating position and 2 for a further back position to change my shoes then push 1 again to get the seat back to driving position for when I drive home.
Doing it manually with the electric seats in my ST added at least 30 seconds to the whole thing and often resulted in an adjustment or two as I drove off.
It’s not changed my life or anything but is a pretty cool bonus I wasn’t expecting :)
On the topic never a doubt the Performance was the model for me. Front diff & extra performance were non negotiable for me and while the cost saving and lower road noise of 18” wheels are positive I think the 19s look best.

My Lady was the first one available with no reservations in early 2018 - I test drove it / bought it before I found out there was a 250 PS version here in the forum. Haven't seen but a few 250 PS around.

To me the LSD is like the cherry on the cake, if not an essential piece of the whole i30n-formula. I did not drive the 250ps, but I'm coming from a Seat Leon FR 1.8 TSI with 'only' torque vectoring, and the lack of out-of-corner traction (and the traction control interfering) annoyed me to bits. Perhaps it also has to do with that specific traction control setup (something you cannot entirely disable on said Leon), but for me it's a no-brainer to go for the performance-version.

In the Netherlands, when the i30n was just on the market, I did see some non-performance versions, but now it's pretty much all performance. Also not sure why that change occured. Perhaps dealers started with the regular one as demo cars because it's cheaper and quickly found out people prefered the performance-version?

Last edited:
Same size brake discs & calipers on the 250 as the performance. (UK at least)

The Performance have different front brakes ("Performance" on top):
2020-01-22 10_53_01-Presentation2 - PowerPoint.png

Exhaust valve only makes it quieter.....

Exhaust valve makes you decide if you want to be quiet or a rebel ;)
In my local neighbourhood or if I am on driving on the highway it is nice to go quiet mode.

Same size brake discs & calipers on the 250 as the performance. (UK at least)

Exhaust valve only makes it quieter.....
Must admit I thought the Performance had uprated brakes from the brochure and reviews.
Interested by the comment on the exhaust valve though... certainly not worried about the Performance being even slightly too quiet but am intrigued what difference in sound, pops & bangs etc the lack of active exhaust with the options in the config makes? So it’s generally just louder?

Probably nobody knows and IMO there is a reason for it.

I think buying non performance version is just silly. Why would you not like to have all the goodies for just a little bit higher price?

Wheels can be changed to aftermarket 18", better brakes are always better, adjustable suspension and exhaust is always good thing, same with power and LSD is just pure fun to use (even if very rarely). I mean WHY NOT? Unless you want just a high power version of i30n then sure, go for n base, but if you are looking for anything more then its just stupid to say no all those things.

I guess ultra great deal on n base makes sense but if the difference is just 10% or less then everyone should go for it.

Reactions: Kobrah
Bigger brakes are always better. 62-0 might be limited by tires or those biggers one are shining in heavier use. Don't forget that bigger rotor is bigger heatsing. Having bigger caliper make it easy to change rotors and pads for some high performance set which will be much better than OEM one.

Reactions: Kobrah