• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Why do you/ did you buy a petrol only car?

Lukian

Nthusiast
Sep 12, 2021
Switzerland
As battery vehicles and hybrids are said to be the future, I simply wondered why you stick to petrol cars.

For me it is simple and purely visceral - sound and smell. Same reason I love two-stroke motorcycles even more than petrol-powered cars.

Reactions: Lukian
I think the inner petrol head in me can't let go of the feeling you get driving a traditional combustion motor. I'm still not sold on electric cars TBH I will hold out as long as I can. The i20n is a 2nd car for us as well we have the big family SUV which will be first in line for electrification if the time is right. Prices still too high and still not enough infrastructure here to be mainstream.

The way things are going though hot hatches and performance cars at the N's price point will probably not be around for much longer in full petrol form.

Electric cars are, when compared to the lifespan of ICE engineering, still in their relative infancy. The charging infrastructure has yet to come even close to petrol stations in terms of convenience, which in Western Australia (a big state) is pretty important.

I bought the i20n because I wanted a light, fun ICE car with a 6 speed. Not many light performance manual cars are made anymore, so I bought one brand new whilst I still could.

I fully expect my next car will be electric, but I expect to have the N for around a decade+. This will give EVs and the infrastructure necessary for them a chance to mature.

You can't go on track days with an electric vehicle. For everyday driving I own one.
Hybrid is generally bullshit for sportive driving IMHO. It just increases the weight extremely and the system power is available only for a few seconds.

When someone makes an electric car with a gearbox and a clutch pedal then I'd voluntarily buy one. No chance of that, of course!

More realistically, when we are all forced to buy one, I'd want a BEV that is closer to 1000kg than 2000kg and the 'frunk' will need a big speaker in there so I can blast out the simulated sound of a Bizzarrini V12.

Reactions: Type122 and Lukian
Having asked, I think I should gibe my own view as well.

I love driving. This spring, I replaced a Alfa GTV with a Giulia Veloce - and was unhappy with the length of the car and the automatic gearbox (while I looooove the looks). After four months, I sold the Giulia and looked for a replacement. Then I saw an article on the i20 N in auto motor und sport, and went to test drive it. Owning a Mito with torsen differential and some chiptuning, I had to admit the Hyundai is a rather good car, apart from the rather obnoxious noise (but there is the programmable modes).
It's practical and fun. Practical for winter (torsen in the snow!), practical with four doors and surprisingly much space, practical for the size. And the interior as well as the body are well designed.
I don't need to explain to you it's fun.

And I don't believe in electric cars. I guess that is a politically correct transient period until the problems with distribution of current over the grid show, the resources needed are in focus, and the waste produced become obvious.
Combustion engines can run on synfuel, and synfuel engines can have an efficiency of 45%. There's the real future, I think (being an electrical engineer).

Oh, and I love to drive double clutching.

Thanks for listening, and: Have fun!

I think the inner petrol head in me can't let go of the feeling you get driving a traditional combustion motor. I'm still not sold on electric cars TBH I will hold out as long as I can. The i20n is a 2nd car for us as well we have the big family SUV which will be first in line for electrification if the time is right. Prices still too high and still not enough infrastructure here to be mainstream.

The way things are going though hot hatches and performance cars at the N's price point will probably not be around for much longer in full petrol form.
Pretty much the same here. We have a SUV that will be first in line to be replaced with an EV. Thus far I don't think it's possible to buy a decent hot hatch EV (with usable range and low weight). Maybe in the future such will be available. Even then the manual gear, power delivery, sound etc. will be missed. I kind of expect the i20n to be my last ICE car. Thus it made sense to get a drivers car and something which might not be available down the road. It's the last hurray before the party is over.

For me, the problem is twofold.
First issue, which I assume will eventually get resolved with time, is that electric cars are not ready. Not only is the necessary infrastructure not there, but the technology isn't there yet either. Lithium batteries are way too dangerous (extremely reactive with oxygen in case of accidents), too heavy, take too long to charge (esp. for use on road trips), perform unreliably with temperature changes and deteriorate significantly over time.
At this point in time, they're rather a gimmick for people who want their car to serve more as some kind of statement, rather than an actually practical vehicle.

Secondly, for a car enthusiast, I can't see how driving an EV will ever match the satisfaction of driving a fun petrol car. There is no sound, there are no gears, the person really has almost no engagement left in the process of driving the machine. It might serve well for the general population who might see driving purely as a necessity, or even as an annoyance, and who don't really find any enjoyment doing it. I honestly don't know how the manufacturers could solve this second problem.

Reactions: NCurious and Lukian
Mine is pretty simple, I don't have a driveway so I wouldn't be able to charge it at home.
plus there's no i30n hybrid :)

I was looking for a hot hatch replacement for my Fiesta ST and have had my eyes on moving over to Hyundai N for a while. And then the i20N showed up!

Both cars we’ve bought this year were petrol (Tucson N-line & i20N).

I have a feeling that these may be the last new combustable engine purchases for us with the Tucson most likely being the first to be swapped. But probably not for 3-4 years. By 2030 we won’t have any choice at least in uk!

Efficient energy! One gallon of gas produces more efficient energy then a car load of lithium batteries.

Convenience, economy and use. Can’t run a battery powered car for more than 325 miles without a long stop. Can’t purchase one at the same price as an ICE car, hence economy. EV’s aren’t durable or have the endurance of an ICE.

The rest is well known in comparison and when electric companies begin to see increases in KW usage, they will raise the price of electricity on everyone.

They’re not regulated but open market and man rather fossil or electricity are greedy. Additionally, maintenance and cost. There aren’t allot of EV mechanics. Cost for EV maintenance is expensive, especially if there is a breakdown.

They can’t compare in availability of repair facilities or cost. Talk to any repair facility and you’ll find out quickly it’s more per hour for an EV mechanic, not to mention parts and availability.

It’actually pretty simple, when looking at the economics between the two. Lastly, minimal infrastructure.

Last edited:
Before I ordered the i20n, I was very enthusiastic about the Mini Cooper SE, which would have been priced about the same as the i20n due to electric subsidies in Germany. The main reason it wasn't the Mini was that I don't have any charging facilities at home and there are only 2 public charging points in my area at the moment. I could have managed with the range most of the time.

I'm also lucky that the Nürburgring is only about 130km from where I live, so I go there a few times a year. There are dozens of Tesla Superchargers there, but only 2 charging stations with only 11kw for "normal" e-cars. So the decision against an electric car was dead for me for the time being. My next car in a few years, when the charging infrastructure in Germany is better, will definitely be an electric car.

I've actually always driven hot hatches, my first car was a Mazda 323 Turbo almost 30 years ago, which is why the only electric alternative for me at the moment would be the Mini Cooper SE. I hope that there will be more electric cars in this class in the future. Maybe even a Hyundai electric i20n...

Reactions: Jepper
We only have space on the drive for 1 car, with 3 cars in the household. I quite often have to park halfway down the street if I get back after everyone else... if it's going to take even 20-30 minutes to get half a charge from a bog standard garage charger, and someone else is already using them, that's me being an hour late for work or stuck on the side of the road.

How this is going to be solved long term for the vast majority of people who don't have easy access to overnight home chargers, i'm yet to hear an answer.

Yes, the tech does exist for much faster charging at services, but the rollout isn't happening ANYWHERE NEAR quick enough. We need smaller, lighter, longer range EV's for the mass public - but the car manufactures are too busy milking the early adopter market with big upmarket (and subsequently low range) vehicles. And why anyone would pay £25k+ for a Corsa or 208, just because it's powered by electricity, is beyond me...

If the rumoured £18k Tesla hatchback becomes a thing, the other big boys will finally be forced to move the price of entry down.

Bang for the buck, good reviews and car loan with 0% interest rate. Also test drive felt epic... I've driven similarly priced electrics and those are just boring.

For me, the problem is twofold.
First issue, which I assume will eventually get resolved with time, is that electric cars are not ready. Not only is the necessary infrastructure not there, but the technology isn't there yet either. Lithium batteries are way too dangerous (extremely reactive with oxygen in case of accidents), too heavy, take too long to charge (esp. for use on road trips), perform unreliably with temperature changes and deteriorate significantly over time.
At this point in time, they're rather a gimmick for people who want their car to serve more as some kind of statement, rather than an actually practical vehicle.

Secondly, for a car enthusiast, I can't see how driving an EV will ever match the satisfaction of driving a fun petrol car. There is no sound, there are no gears, the person really has almost no engagement left in the process of driving the machine. It might serve well for the general population who might see driving purely as a necessity, or even as an annoyance, and who don't really find any enjoyment doing it. I honestly don't know how the manufacturers could solve this second problem.

This reply ^ is maybe the best post I've read on the internet for NOT getting an electric transportation pod.

Visceral, sound and smell. Handling, engagement. Electric cars are soulless boring applicances imo. And IF they become the only option in the future, then my interest in new cars will die and I will buy something cheap for transportation, and hopefully I can still own and drive something older for the summer.

I think EVs are bullshit. Best case scenario they are 60% more environmentally friendly than a modern ICE car, and Koenigsegg's camless system divides that figure by 2. Politicians have crowned a winner too soon, and will be harming potential progress. Usually what happens when poltiicans play engineer.

Almost all the car manufacturers have stopped selling ICE cars in my country, we don't get the 2021 i30N or i20N.
Toyota is the only interesting exception (if we get a GR Corolla)... In the future if I am to replace my i30N I will have to import.

Last edited:
Visceral, sound and smell. Handling, engagement. Electric cars are soulless boring applicances imo. And IF they become the only option in the future, then my interest in new cars will die and I will buy something cheap for transportation, and hopefully I can still own and drive something older for the summer.

I think EVs are bullshit. Best case scenario they are 60% more environmentally friendly than a modern ICE car, and Koenigsegg's camless system divides that figure by 2. Politicians have crowned a winner too soon, and will be harming potential progress. Usually what happens when poltiicans play engineer.

Yes, agree with that 100%. Problem is though I'd estimate 99% of those who drive cars see them as A -> B devices which as FireWater85 concisely said, are a necessity or annoyance. And given how easy the general populous are manipulated and scaremongered (think Covid), the masses will soon enough jump on the soulless ride.

And I was (attempted) to be pumped full of brainwashing eco propaganda from agenda pushing zealots back in the 00s too.....when diesel was apparently the wonder fuel.
That worked out well huh.

Reactions: J BOB
Yeah piggybacking off everyone else I do find the average electric car soleless in comparison to a good internal combustion engine. I don't have anything against a good hybrid but I've not really seen many of them I'd consider good combination.

A good booster electric engine would be nice and would make a nice hot Hatch even hotter but I don't see it being something that'll often happen.