• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Suspension and Chassis Whiteline Strut Top issue

Nizzle

May 23, 2021
Delaware USA
I bought these for my 2020 veloster N: https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KCA478&sq=1936
https://www.genracer.com/whiteline-...ng-camber-caster-for-hyundai-veloster-n-2019/

I installed them with OEM Springs and adjustable camber bolts and after 2 weeks, my front struts were blown. I figured it was something I did wrong during installation. I bought a nicer set of spring compressors and made a tool to hold the strut shaft in order to torque the top bolt to spec. After spending $575 and waiting 2 months for new struts to come in, I built the strut assembly using the whiteline tops. I used the new spring compressors and the special tool to ensure the top was properly torqued. Since racing season was over, I had it aligned with a more conservative -2.0 camber. The same thing happened. Only two weeks after installation and the struts are once again blown. I am reverting it back to stock and taking it to the Hyundai dealer to have the struts replaced.
  1. I reached out to the owner of the store than I bought them from and he said he did not hear from anyone with the same issue.
  2. I fabricated my own tool to hold the strut piston in place so that I can torque the top nut to spec. I looked all over the internet for a tool. Aside from Hyundai’s special tool, I can’t find a tool that will hold the piston in place. How do most people get the top nut torqued properly?
  3. Why would my struts blow out so easily over the course of only 2 weeks (a couple hundred miles) while driving on these strut tops? Note, my driving is on mixed city and suburban roads near Philadelphia pa. The roads are not the best, but also not the worst.
  4. I’d like to put them back on next year before racing season. Any suggestions on what to do differently during installation?
Thank you.

I am not 100% sure if the suspension geometry is the same between the Veloster N and i30N. From what I can tell the camber plates are made only for the i30N.

Have you tried going with some U.S.-made ones specifically for the Veloster N?

The veloster N has camber adjustment built in via the two lower strut mount to hub bolts, the top one of the two is eccentric to adjust the camber. The European and Australia i30n have a non adjustable strut to hub single bolt clamp connection. I know which one I would have if the choice were given.

The veloster N has camber adjustment built in via the two lower strut mount to hub bolts, the top one of the two is eccentric to adjust the camber. The European and Australia i30n have a non adjustable strut to hub single bolt clamp connection. I know which one I would have if the choice were given.
Yes, the lower control arms and yokes are different on the VN and will accommodate adjustment with the addition of camber bolts but is not configured this way from the factory.

I’d personally review the install of the White line strut top mounts. The OEM strut top mounts have strut bearings as I demonstrated on the other forum. It’s not the White line strut top mounts or camber bolts that are causing the issue. It’s something else. What is causing it, I’d start with the actual install as a common denominator.

There have been a great number of owners who have installed both without these issues. The issue with taking it back to the dealership to warranty the issue is questionable, since this is the second set you’ve blown within a short amount of time.

Blown, is defined by internal seal damage. Check the clearance from spring compression to chassis clearance at full compression. If it’s hanging or binding up, this can be an issue once the suspension unloads against the road surface. Excessive suspension rebound, along with hard lateral loading, even for a split second can cause seals to blow. These aren’t racing configured struts.

This is not a race car, nor does it possess the chassis to suspension clearance to facilitate a larger amount of negative camber. It’s a daily use driver primarily.

Last edited:
Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
So after installing a new suspension control module (ECS) and new struts without camber bolts and with OEM strut tops, I got it aligned on 12-7-21 @ 20368 miles. Since then, I put about 2500 miles on it and have had no issues. I'm on my winter wheels/tires (18's) now, but I'm driving the same beat and rutted up roads on the daily and occasionally hit a bad pot hole.

So my assessment is there is nothing wrong with the car. Any issues were a direct result of the top mounts, my installation, or the ECS.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO