• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Wheels stuck on

speedking

Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
Did the wheel rotation at the weekend. For three of the wheels, even with all 5 nuts removed, it was very difficult to remove the wheels.

Yes, of course the garage had overtightened the nuts, but the root cause was a small amount of corrosion. I think the inner part of the hub is a snug fit in the (standard 19") wheels and a small amount of corrosion had welded the wheels on. There was also some corrosion on the face of the hub, but I can't see that being a big issue.

I had to use a lump hammer and a bit of wood to break the seal. Kicking the tyre was insufficient. Not what you want to be doing when the car is supported on 2 jacks with one wheel already removed. I have applied some copper grease in the hope that will prevent a recurrence.

Just some advice if you set out on a half hour job to find that you don't have all the tools that you need.

Shadow-Flo

Aug 12, 2019
Germany
No grease on the hubs!! Just on the centering diameter (67,1mm). By greasing the complete hub surface you will massivly decrease the surface pressure between wheel and hub.

speedking

Jan 20, 2018
Warrington, UK
Would have to be a big mallet! I was using a clubhammer on a piece of wood and it took a fair few substantial whacks. Also you have to be partly under the car which is only supported on a jack, made me nervous.

Welsh i30N

May 31, 2018
Wales
Hi
Did you kerb your wheel? I did mine missing an idiot driving too fast in centre of a narrow road.
I clipped the lowered edge / side of a speed bump near the kerb. Apparently cutting the wheel makes it different from rest or they have to cut an angled cut on edge which looks different from other wheels. £330 a wheel in the UK :mad:

Welsh i30N

May 31, 2018
Wales
Hi Speed King.
Hyundai don't fit copper grease so 2 different metals bind. Try hitting tyre on edge near wheel from under the car. I would use an axle stand to be safe. Tap the bottom then around the wheel. I had to whack mine hard but it came off.

Reactions: speedking

RGW3799

Nov 26, 2019
Hereford, UK
Hi
Did you kerb your wheel? I did mine missing an idiot driving too fast in centre of a narrow road.
I clipped the lowered edge / side of a speed bump near the kerb. Apparently cutting the wheel makes it different from rest or they have to cut an angled cut on edge which looks different from other wheels. £330 a wheel in the UK :mad:
Yes of sorts was my fault though but the wheel isn't reparable.

Hyundai quoted £270 for a new one but just didn't know if I could get a good second hand one for less?

iiNNEX

Sep 5, 2019
Surrey, UK
Yes of sorts was my fault though but the wheel isn't reparable.

Hyundai quoted £270 for a new one but just didn't know if I could get a good second hand one for less?
There have been entire sets of wheels sold for not much more than that, I'd look for a good used one mate.

Reactions: RGW3799