• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Wheel Offset & Implications

You got a picture of that? 17mm less ET, 1" wider rims and 10mm wider tires compared to stock should poke out a lot imho.

Reactions: Alby
I'm from Australia. I was asking members about wheel sizes and offsets back in March19 and have finally ordered the HyperGT HLT in 19 x 8 ET55 offset. I could only get the wheels in an ET45 in Australia and although I I agree ET45 would be totally fine I felt more comfortable going with the exact factory specs, so I ordered these from Hyundai Germany, who advised this wheel is made specifically for the i30N. They have shipped 2 sets already to Australia and I am the 3rd (apparently).

The company emailed me promptly, communicated in perfect English and were a pleasure to deal with. The pricing, even after including shipping customs and GST, was still cheaper than I could get the wheels in Australia (in the ET45 offset). The company also does N badges and other decals and accessories. Just thought I'd share my experience. They take 3 weeks to arrive and I will confirm final outcome once they are fitted. My tyre guy is just going to swap over the factory tryres when they come in.

Link:

https://hyundaizubehoer.de/en/i30-n/846--hyundai-hyper-gt.html

PS: I think these wheels are whats going on the limited edition i30N concept C (600 cars and not coming to Australia), and info on that car says these wheels save 22kg over the standard wheels.

Link:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/792023/2020-hyundai-i30-n-project-c-revealed-not-for-oz/

Last edited:
@FastbackJLQ
Factory size can't be wrong. The Hyper GT in ET55 is a special size only for Hyundai to sale. You can think about 5mm wheel spacers for a perfect stance. The weight should be 9,5kg according to the data provided at the Hyundai pages. So you safe 4kg per corner. Thats's massive and the best place to safe weight.;)
By the way, the Hyper GTs aren't the same wheels as those on the Project C, you'll see whencomparing both. The P-C wheels are even lighter (8kg) and forged. The Hyper GT is casted.

Last edited:
@Shadow-Flo
Thanks for the feedback.
Apologies on the incorrect info re wheels being the same as the PC, and thanks for the correction.
The Hyper GT's were used on the Targa Tasmania and WTAC car I believe. The GT's in ET55 are pretty much the only mod I've considered for the car, the stock rims just don't grab me like I thought they would. I believe the ET55 has something to do with torque steer correction as well as the Civic runs ET60.

So what happens the guys on here who have purchased the likes of aftermarket alloy wheels that are ET45 are they doing irreparable damage which has yet to manifest itself.. Witht the link provided those alloys sure look tasty might buy those myself as I ahve not yet pulled the trigger on any alloy wheels but was thinking towards the Motec Ultralight ET45. I had stated ET48 which was a mistake. Sorry

Last edited:
So what happens the guys on here who have purchased the likes of aftermarket alloy wheels that are ET45 are they doing irreparable damage which has yet to manifest itself.

Like what? Think you might be overthinking that a bit.

The only 'damage' from ET45 is that its changes the scrub radius to Positive (that site you linked presumes that OEM ET55 has Zero Scrub radius.......do we know that is right?).

Positive Scrub could have side effects on handling and braking but nobody has reported this who are using ET45 wheels. There are quite a lot of us too!

...and the original N winter wheels (Magnit) already come with ET49,5;)
But they are also 0,5 inches narrower, which counteracts the lower ET.

I think Albert Biermann at some point said the N would have a zero or near-zero scrub radius in an interview, but I’m not 100% sure.
Changing the scrub radius will change the driving behaviour (e.g. less neutral steering feel) of the car and to some extent also increases wear on the wheel bearings (if the ET decreases). That being said, if you actually feel any of these changes is a completely different story. What you however will notice, is the changes to the look of your car, so it’s up to you to decide what you want.

I think the non performance model has a zero scrub radius, the performance doesn't.

7,5J R18 ET: 53.0 LK: 5x114,3 CB: 67,1 (~12 kg)
8,0J R19 ET: 55.0 LK: 5x114,3 CB: 67,1 (~13,1 kg)

Would anyone know if 19 x 8.5 ET45 with a 245 tyre would work?
I've got my eye on some SSR GTX 01s Seems this sizing is the closest spec to oem they do.
I suspect it'll be too wide and rub, but can anyone confirm ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tappa1AU
Like what? Think you might be overthinking that a bit.

The only 'damage' from ET45 is that its changes the scrub radius to Positive (that site you linked presumes that OEM ET55 has Zero Scrub radius.......do we know that is right?).

Positive Scrub could have side effects on handling and braking but nobody has reported this who are using ET45 wheels. There are quite a lot of us too!

That is good to know because a guy I know says the motec ultralight will be back in stock at the end of this month that wheel has not been available for some months now. Price is good for the motec 1K delivered, some saving over the Hyuandi OZ racing rims the motec come in 8.5 ET45 19'' the guy says that rim will fit with no problems he would wouldn't he as he is getting a sale. Yet reading all these posts it seems to be a different story. I take it then ET45 is ok suppose it is, really wont know until they are on the car.

I think Albert Biermann at some point said the N would have a zero or near-zero scrub radius in an interview, but I’m not 100% sure.
Changing the scrub radius will change the driving behaviour (e.g. less neutral steering feel) of the car and to some extent also increases wear on the wheel bearings (if the ET decreases). That being said, if you actually feel any of these changes is a completely different story. What you however will notice, is the changes to the look of your car, so it’s up to you to decide what you want.

From a quick google for "i30n" "scrub radius" there are a few articles outlining that with the 19" wheels the scrub radius is near 0. Another reason for me to save my pennies for those Hyper GT's, just wish they weren't around $3,600 AUD... :eek:

This super old basic video helps a lot: