• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Wheels Wheel Offset & Implications

How do you know that ET55 is the best? The fact that engineers designed car like this does not mean that it works the best in real world. Hyundai engineers made a compromise between the best handling and durability. If they where truly focused only for the best performance, they were never choose Pirelli tyres.

Last edited:
Best is subjective on what your trying to achieve, I'm willing to bet my 18x9.5 +35 with a 265/35 will provide more cornering and straight-line grip with little to no drawbacks versus a stock 19x8 +55 offset rim with a 235 or 245 tire. Especially with some more negative camber all around.

I'll let you know in a couple months when the weather gets better here :)

I have just ordered the i30N Fastback. I have been researching wheel upgrades and read various comments on the forum (thank you all for your informative posts). Oz Racing seem to be a common choice for reputable tuning shops eg Racechip in Germany, and I am keen on either the Oz Leggera HLT or Hyper HLT rims in the std 19x8 size.

I have confirmed with Oz distributor that the offset for both of these is ET45 and they advise they both have a green light code for the i30N (which on their system indicates perfect fit no modifications or changes required at all) . I intend just doing a swap-over of the factory tyres because this car will be 99% road use except.

Some of the posts had me a bit concerned that I might get tyre scrub, or some other negative when in fact I'm looking for all positives (for such a big spend). Can you lovely members assure me I will be totally fine? Surely Oz and known tuning shops wouldn't get it wrong?

What if the non-performance model has the 0 scrub radius and the performance model just has lower offset & wider rims for a better looking stance?

If both cars would have a 0 scrub radius, some other parts apart from the wheels would have to be different too. Like disc brake thickness on the mounting surface.

https://www.willtheyfit.com

Chuck the standard wheel measurements in of 235 35 19 and etc 55 and then you can add whatever wheels your looking at to see what the difference will be. Can use a ruler etc to help work out size difference in comparison to the current setup.

Know it's not the best way of doing it etc but for a simple home setup/check it works.

Reactions: FastbackJLQ
https://www.willtheyfit.com

Chuck the standard wheel measurements in of 235 35 19 and etc 55 and then you can add whatever wheels your looking at to see what the difference will be. Can use a ruler etc to help work out size difference in comparison to the current setup.

Know it's not the best way of doing it etc but for a simple home setup/check it works.

Thanks for that, this site says they will fit. My main concern was they would fit ok but maybe not perfect. I think I am going to trust TarmoT, Oz Racing and the known tuning houses who put these wheels into their upgrade packages - surely they know their stuff.

Reactions: BadShadd
Im not using 8x19" ET45 wheels but Im using 8x18" ET45 wheels with 235 wide tires and H&R -30mm springs. Your setup will poke out same as mine and you can even use -50mm lowering springs and still no rubbing issues. So you are free to make order ;)

This is a purely factory specification.
Nothing more. Not atom physics.
Keep the size ET55 because it's the best.
That's all ... :)

Best for what? I would argue that et45 is actually best for steering feel.

You are being way too dramatic with your claims of catastrophic failure at high speed if you run anything else than et55. Stop scaring people, you dont know what you are talking about.

But just in case you want to obsess more look into tyre pressures.

8.5x19 with 235/35 is no problem, not even according to the german TÜV.
Was 245/35 a typo? Because then you would have an error in your speedometer since you’re changing the overall circumference of your wheel. Whether those would fit or not I’m not sure.

Reactions: Homie
Depends on what you want to achieve and where you live.
I think 235/35 on a 8.5 et45 is pretty much the maximum poke out you can legally drive on the street, at least in germany and without modifications to the body work.

8.5" 19r et45 wheels fitted with no issues, perfectly flush with the fenders. There is a small stretch with the original pirelli tyres tho. Also the ride is a lot harsher due to that small stretch. I'm looking to replace these with a more "meaty" tyre. Question is, is anyone running 245/40r19 tyres? Any issues?`

you can take the michelin pilot sport 4s. it's a little bit bigger than the pirelli so the stretch wont be so obvious

Reactions: nform
What if the non-performance model has the 0 scrub radius and the performance model just has lower offset & wider rims for a better looking stance?

If both cars would have a 0 scrub radius, some other parts apart from the wheels would have to be different too. Like disc brake thickness on the mounting surface.
I guess only the engineers know :(

8.5" 19r et45 wheels fitted with no issues, perfectly flush with the fenders. There is a small stretch with the original pirelli tyres tho. Also the ride is a lot harsher due to that small stretch. I'm looking to replace these with a more "meaty" tyre. Question is, is anyone running 245/40r19 tyres? Any issues?`

Your rules may be very different to ours in Australia. Our rules (in Qld) state:

For a passenger car, passenger car derivative or ‘soft roader’ (an all-wheel drive vehicle other than MC category), the overall diameter of any alternate tyre fitted may be up to 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.

Going from a 235/35 R19 to a 245/40 R19 will result in increasing your overall wheel and tyre diameter from 647mm to 679mm, that's 32mm. Way too much here, and probably too much in Finland also. The car will feel sluggish because you will be lower the final drive ratio by about 5%, and your speedo will be about 5% too low.

I went to 245/40R18 wheels and tyres, my diameter increased from 647 to just 653, only 6mm, and my speedo is less than 1% out. And it is legal.

IMG_4762.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

Reactions: Paroparo and Kieran
Your rules may be very different to ours in Australia. Our rules (in Qld) state:

For a passenger car, passenger car derivative or ‘soft roader’ (an all-wheel drive vehicle other than MC category), the overall diameter of any alternate tyre fitted may be up to 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.

Going from a 235/35 R19 to a 245/40 R19 will result in increasing your overall wheel and tyre diameter from 647mm to 679mm, that's 32mm. Way too much here, and probably too much in Finland also. The car will feel sluggish because you will be lower the final drive ratio by about 5%, and your speedo will be about 5% too low.

I went to 245/40R18 wheels and tyres, my diameter increased from 647 to just 653, only 6mm, and my speedo is less than 1% out. And it is legal.

Thanks for the reply. Im well aware of the theoretical effects of a bigger tyre. Changes upto 51mm for diameter and width upto 102mm are allowed here (you can actually go bigger, but it requires a bit of paper work).

Regarding the final drive..this is true but I'm not trying to race for ten tenths. Im quite sure 99% of us won't even notice the change (i sure have not with my previous cars).

We have quite a lot of sketchy b/gravel roads, meaty tyre is a plus. Right now im leaning towards 245/35R19. Or a 235/35R19 r-compound these are always wider than usual. 245/40R19 would be ideal, only if it would fit.