• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tyres What tires for the winter on the VN Base?

joegrant413

Sep 29, 2019
Columbia, IL
Just got my base VN. I'm assuming the Michelin Super Sport tires on the 18" wheels will need to be replaced for winter tires around Thanksgiving. I live in St. Louis, which doesn't get a ton of snow, but it can get to freezing in December.

Any other VN Base users out there have plans for winter tires?

Thanks,
- Joe

Nomad17

Dec 21, 2018
USA
I'm going with Crossclimates but don't really get more than a light dusting of snow. If I did I'd probably be looking at Pilot Alpins.

Reactions: joegrant413

joegrant413

Sep 29, 2019
Columbia, IL
Really basic question here...

This will be my first time with a different set of "summer" and "winter" tires. Will I have to somehow load up the Veloster with the tires and keep them at home in the garage? Or do you some tires stores keep them for you?

Not 100% the Veloster is going to have room to carry 4 tires home!

Thx

CF2000

Aug 4, 2018
USA
Really basic question here...

This will be my first time with a different set of "summer" and "winter" tires. Will I have to somehow load up the Veloster with the tires and keep them at home in the garage? Or do you some tires stores keep them for you?

Not 100% the Veloster is going to have room to carry 4 tires home!

Thx
Not sure about tires, but when I had my wheels changed I loaded up the old wheels in the boxes from my new wheels and they fit just fine in the back. 3 boxes in the back seat and one in the trunk. I think tires should fit just fine also.

Reactions: joegrant413

VelosterRaptor

Aug 28, 2019
Saskatoon, Sk, Canada
I have Nokian R3's on her from oct-April. Where I live the winter is always going to be tough. I have Nokian R2's on my old cars and I regularly pull others out of ditches when they get stuck on grid roads. If you live somewhere where the snow you shovel has more volume then the car your drive then I can't recommend this brand enough.

Every tire store where I live will store your winters in summer and your summers in winter for a set price.

biggeley

Dec 3, 2019
USA
We get 1-2 inches on average per month in Jan/Feb here in North Carolina. I put on Michelin Pilot Sort A/S 3+ for the winter. I bought them in November, and when I talked to the Tire Rack sales guy that day, he said he drove to work that morning in 4" of snow with those tires, and they did well. He was from Northern Indiana.

So far they've been really good in 32+ degree wet/dry weather for me, and 20+ degree dry roads. But I haven't seen any accumulation yet.

Last edited:

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Mar 6, 2018
Pirelli wintersotto 3s here a little pricey but worked flawlessly in 6-8inches of snow and slush/ice last year

Rem234

Nov 15, 2019
Illinois
The four tires on rims will fit in the back with the seat down, plenty of room, I have done it more than once now. I got 17" rims and tires from Discount tire as a low cost winter option. The 17s fit fine as long as the wheel weights are not in line with the calipers (don't ask how I know). Just put them on this weekend and drove them in a little snow this morning. So far so good. I my experience any snow specific tire is better than an all season tire or what you have.

Attachments