• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

What oil are dealers putting into your cars?

LordPave

Nthusiast
Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
Curiosity question for you all: Can you all please post the dealer you go to and the oil they're putting into your car?

Essendon Hyundai printed Castrol Magnatec Pro A5 0W30 on my receipt (requested an oil change on the 1st service), which doesn't exist according to my Googling. It appears to actually be something in the Edge line of products (guessing something like: bpxe-b7lr3h.pdf (castrol.com) - Castrol Edge 0W30 C2)

It'd be good to see what everyone else is getting put into their cars (if you know that is).

Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W30

I was told that they will switch to TOTAL from this year but I don't have the exact details.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W30

I was told that they will switch to TOTAL from this year but I don't have the exact details.

Just picked up the car back from the annual service and indeed they switched the oil to TOTAL QUARTZ NEO MC3 5W30 which apparently is also "Approved by Hyundai/Kia" :)

Link for the tech specs below :
Total Quartz Ineo MC3

Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30, 5000km max to change
They put same oil here and i do changes around 6000km here. I bring the oil on my own now though, because last time they wanted to charge me 131€ just for 5L of oil...and i got the same oil for 45€...i mean too much is too much... after 5yrs i will probably switch to MOTUL or Mobil.

Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30, 5000km max to change
My dealer, which will never see my car again, put a different oil in every time at 1500 (at my request), 10,000 and 20,000 km. At 5,000 and 15,000 I had a friend who is a qualified mechanic (and documented for warranty purposes) put this oil in along with a factory filter, but in 5W-30 due to the hot weather here. The same will happen at 25,000 km.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
By hot weather he meant that you don't get really low temperatures (i.e. -20oC or lower), so no need to pay extra to get 0w30, right ?
My choice, and yes - the coldest day of the year here is about 15 degrees C. Average 25 to 36 degrees C. I'd be better off running 10W-40 during summer (and certainly on track) but hard to find a warranty-friendly oil in that spec locally.

Reactions: nicosp
My choice, and yes - the coldest day of the year here is about 15 degrees C. Average 25 to 36 degrees C. I'd be better off running 10W-40 during summer (and certainly on track) but hard to find a warranty-friendly oil in that spec locally.

Track aside (being special conditions where you can really being the car to higher than expected operational temperatures) , I wouldn't go higher than 5w. Remember, that number indicates viscosity at 40oC and you won't be starting the car at such ambient temperature most of the times. it's best to aim for the lowest possible viscosity when you start the car.

And I really really hope I'm not opening a sh*storm of arguments around oil grades 🤣🤣

Reactions: GazmaN
At our service department we just put the Shell Helix Ultra 0W-30 in the Ns. With the right supplier it will cost a dealer pretty much the same as any decent 5W-30.

Interval? For my personal N - every 5000km. The standard being every 10,000km.

Reactions: GazmaN and PeterP
At our service department we just put the Shell Helix Ultra 0W-30 in the Ns. With the right supplier it will cost a dealer pretty much the same as any decent 5W-30.

Does anyone have a link on where to buy the Shell Helix Ultra 0W-30 in oz?

I'm struggling to find any retailer that sells the serviceable 1L or 5L variants.

I can only see that Supercheap Auto sells 20L size.

Reactions: Davo01 and GazmaN
Does anyone have a link on where to buy the Shell Helix Ultra 0W-30 in oz?

I'm struggling to find any retailer that sells the serviceable 1L or 5L variants.

I can only see that Supercheap Auto sells 20L size.
Sparesbox used to sell it on eBay. McCarroll's have it listed on eBay now here.

Our dealership orders it through a Jeep supplier so maybe try your local Jeep dealer?

Also try an oil supplier like Redpoint. Our local Redpoint stocks it.

Reactions: Davo01 and nnn30n
@nnn30n try Repco man - I get my Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30 5L from them but pretty sure they'd have it in 0W-30 too.

Cheers GazmaN!

I tried Repco a little while ago and they only had the 0W-30 in 20L also, at the time I ended up just grabbing the same as you - Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30 which seems to come highly recommended for our cars :)

Reactions: Davo01 and GazmaN
Sparesbox used to sell it on eBay. McCarroll's have it listed on eBay now here.

Our dealership orders it through a Jeep supplier so maybe try your local Jeep dealer?

Also try an oil supplier like Redpoint. Our local Redpoint stocks it.

Legend! Thanks so much Gwenty.

I'll check out that eBay link first and will see if I need to hit up those suppliers.

Thank you again :)

Cheers GazmaN!

I tried Repco a little while ago and they only had the 0W-30 in 20L also, at the time I ended up just grabbing the same as you - Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30 which seems to come highly recommended for our cars :)

yeah the 0-30 is impossible to find in Oz for sure.

yeah the 0-30 is impossible to find in Oz for sure.

I bought some on special from Repco when it was on runout. Then got a few from Sparesbox on special.

Given that most dealers buy whatever 5W/30 C2 oil in bulk they can, I'd prefer to go with the factory recommended 0W30 C3 so there is no issue with warranty particularly for track work.

Reactions: Davo01