• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

What is your Pedal Box setup?

For me, the pedal/tuning box are "off record" tunes, for the people who, as you said, wants to stay stock, but enjoys "something else". I'm not sure about a ECU tune plus a pedalbox, seams a bit irrelevant given that if you remap one thing that you will upgrade is throttle response, however would like to know someone that has done it and kept the pedalbox.

Yeah that is my understanding also, so if I was to buy a DTUK Pedalbox and TuningBox, I can have the benefits and remove it at any point I need to (return to stock) without ECU traces.

Just wanted to confirm that, because I read somewhere that people with Stage 1 Tunes have kept their pedalboxes, so wondering why that's all.

Lots of people run both. Depends on car (and tune) though, plenty of Golf GTi/R owners ran JB1/JB4 tuning boxes with a pedal box still.

Remember, the pedal box is just a throttle controller so can still be used regardless.

Yeah that is my understanding also, so if I was to buy a DTUK Pedalbox and TuningBox, I can have the benefits and remove it at any point I need to (return to stock) without ECU traces.

Just wanted to confirm that, because I read somewhere that people with Stage 1 Tunes have kept their pedalboxes, so wondering why that's all.
IMO the pedalbox on a Stage1 wont be increasing that much the throttle response as if you were to compare stock+pedalbox (remap will certainly cover that part) but i can be wrong, and i hope i am :) Regardless, Tuningbox seams a bit "not suited just for you, suited for everybody" and it gives me some reluctance on buying one. Can be just stupidity, but it is my take on this.

Reactions: iiNNEX
Lots of people run both. Depends on car (and tune) though, plenty of Golf GTi/R owners ran JB1/JB4 tuning boxes with a pedal box still.

Remember, the pedal box is just a throttle controller so can still be used regardless.

That makes sense, however as far as I know a JB1/4 do not alter throttle response? Although I could be wrong as last time I read about them was in my 335i days lol

Reactions: loafer-N77
That makes sense, however as far as I know a JB1/4 do not alter throttle response? Although I could be wrong as last time I read about them was in my 335i days lol

Correct, but neither do any tuning boxes do they?! Only a proper custom remap will do that.

Correct, but neither do any tuning boxes do they?! Only a proper custom remap will do that.

Correct, hence why I was saying that a Pedal Box and a Tuning Box is a perfect match. However once you go custom map, is there still any point in using the pedal box?

I am coming at that from the following angle; I want a pedal box now till I can save up enough for exhaust/intake/remap all at once later in the year. Is there any point in me getting the box and having to resell it later or should I just wait for the proper thing?

Correct, the JB4 doesn't alter the fly-by-wire throttle, neither will any remaps or reflashes. The only way to enhance the throttle, will be thru the use of a Pedal Box.
Can be just stupidity, but it is my take on this.
Not stupidity, just hesitance. Tuning boxes are sensor foolers, have limitations and are generic. Where as a remap or reflash of the ECU can manipulate; fuel & timing tables, remove the top end limiters, affect/increase boost more extensively across the rpm range and remove the immobilizer all together. While also maintaining the factory safety parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavaco90
Correct, the JB4 doesn't alter the fly-by-wire throttle, neither will any remaps or reflashes. The only way to enhance the throttle, will be thru the use of a Pedal Box.

Now I am confused, there are a few sources online that I found which state that a remap on a modern vehicle can alter the fly-by-wire response, thus rendering a pedal box redundant. Most coming from Golf R forums since the box is such a popular mod on there.

I guess I need to talk to a tuner to get verification.

Don't be, the actual throttle response is not altered in a remap or reflash. You may get better TB response after the remap, by the TB butterfly opening 100% but it will not affect the actual throttle response.

Most OEM ECU setting do not allow the TB butterfly to open 100% with WOT application. It's generally around 95% sometimes less. It's the same with motorcycles.

The remap will allow the TB butterfly to open 100% and stay that way on WOT. This is where the throttle (pedal), will respond equally with the TB butterfly. To make the throttle pedal operate with more precision (quicker), it requires a Pedal Box. The Pedal Box reduces the lag time between throttle application and signal to the ECU.

Last edited:
Reactions: iiNNEX
That's great, thank you for that explanation @R Veloster N , so it's safe to say a Pedal Box purchase will be useful and continue to provide a benefit even after a full remap, great!

Reactions: Cavaco90
Don't be, the actual throttle response is not altered in a remap or reflash. You may get better TB response after the remap, by the TB butterfly opening 100% but it will not affect the actual throttle response.

Most OEM ECU setting do not allow the TB butterfly to open 100% with WOT application. It's generally around 95% sometimes less. It's the same with motorcycles.

The remap will allow the TB butterfly to open 100% and stay that way on WOT. This is where the throttle (pedal), will respond equally with the TB butterfly. To make the throttle pedal operate with more precision (quicker), it requires a Pedal Box. The Pedal Box reduces the lag time between throttle application and signal to the ECU.

I can confirm that I30N on track on full throttle TB butterfly is open only 86% :(
The car is stock except wheels and tyres

Yes i have a ECU remap and still use the Pedal Box. The tuner asked that the pedal box be turned off prior to remap.

I still have all the benefits of the pedal box and a tangible, no, huge difference in throttle response from standard.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: loafer-N77
What I would say though,in terms of the pedal box,is that at low speeds and doddling about, it isn’t as smooth as the stock setting.

How aggressive is yours set? As I find the exact opposite?!

I’m going to be honest here and say that I don’t spend as much time in the car as I’d like, certainly in terms of finding the optimal set up for things.

It’s presently on Sport Plus.(red). Do you think I should dial it back to Sport and work within those 6 settings? I’m not sure why it’s on Sport Plus. I think my wife gets used to the feel of the throttle and doesn’t like changing it, but I need to get round to doing some proper testing on the various settings.....

I’m going to be honest here and say that I don’t spend as much time in the car as I’d like, certainly in terms of finding the optimal set up for things.

It’s presently on Sport Plus.(red). Do you think I should dial it back to Sport and work within those 6 settings? I’m not sure why it’s on Sport Plus. I think my wife gets used to the feel of the throttle and doesn’t like changing it, but I need to get round to doing some proper testing on the various settings.....

To me, Sport Plus would make it almost undrivable at low speeds in n mode lol.
Yeah I'd recommend playing around with the settings.
Sport(-3) for me is around the sweet spot for everyday use.
But you have a remap so might an apples/oranges argument there :)

That is the setting where you feel the throttle response the most, basically you put your foot down a little bit (literally a tiny bit) and it seams as you are flying the car and, on your case, it can be an unpleasant ride. Dial it back a few modes and start with sport (yellow) -1 and i can almost guarantee you will notice immediate difference.