• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Western Australia Meet/Drive

Hey everyone!

I'm picking up my fastback tomorrow, so excited :D

Is the August 18th event the next one in Perth/WA?
I'm keen on any future drives/meets/happy laps events (if any).

Also is there a Facebook group for WA N owners?
Hey mate, I've been a bit quiet on this page lately. Aug 18th still going ahead. Just started up a WA Hyundai N Owners and Events facebook page as you're not the first person to ask about it.

Lock in August 18th - I'll provide updates on here as the date gets closer. Hopefully Perth's few random days of rain are long gone by then.

Reactions: ellroy and KaiKat
Hi Gazza,

I am Facebook illiterate, how do we access the WA Owners page ?
Beautiful scenery here in York WA after some good rainfall.
I`ll make sure there is plenty of dry firewood for the pizza oven Sunday August 18th.

Hey everyone!

I'm picking up my fastback tomorrow, so excited :D

Is the August 18th event the next one in Perth/WA?
I'm keen on any future drives/meets/happy laps events (if any).

Also is there a Facebook group for WA N owners?
How is your fastback? Im in Perth and should have mine by end of this week!.

Reactions: Gazza and KaiKat
How is your fastback? Im in Perth and should have mine by end of this week!.

It's been a heap of fun to drive. I would love to get it on the track in a non-competitive event. Love the ability to change modes while driving and having a custom mode. The steering has a great feel to it. Seats are comfy and love the electronic memory settings. Heated steering wheel is a nice touch. I haven't mastered getting into it yet haha. Not much head room likely due to the sunroof in mine. Some of the interior lights and rear taillights should have LED bulbs. Don't use Bluetooth audio, use a USB cable instead! The map data on the built in navigation is slightly outdated and keeps telling me about non-existent speed cameras along the newly redone Tonkin Hwy. All in all these are very minor annoyances. It does feel amazing to drive once you get your own custom drive settings to the way you want them.

The biggest annoyance has been that it needs a short shifter, Forge Motorsports has one available but I'm not sure I want to jeopardise my warranty at all.
And my only real concern so far has been in the wet it lost traction sometimes when accelerating, mainly from a standstill, and when it did it axle hopped until traction was back. Not sure if that's axle hop is the right term for it. Also not sure if they're meant to do that or not. I just hope there's a mod to fix that down the track. Hasn't happened in the dry yet.

I've only fairly recently moved to Perth so I don't know any good roads to take it on or if there are any large car meets or happy laps track events. In Brisbane, there are mountain roads only 15-20 mins away, there are large monthly car meets with 200+ cars, mainly organised by Downshift, and fortnightly "happy laps" track events (ie open to anyone, no helmet required, non-competitive 30-90 min cruise sessions on the 2 Bris tracks for about $30-70), mainly organised by Downshift, Torque Time or smaller groups/clubs.

Anything like that in Perth?

It's been a heap of fun to drive. I would love to get it on the track in a non-competitive event. Love the ability to change modes while driving and having a custom mode. The steering has a great feel to it. Seats are comfy and love the electronic memory settings. Heated steering wheel is a nice touch. I haven't mastered getting into it yet haha. Not much head room likely due to the sunroof in mine. Some of the interior lights and rear taillights should have LED bulbs. Don't use Bluetooth audio, use a USB cable instead! The map data on the built in navigation is slightly outdated and keeps telling me about non-existent speed cameras along the newly redone Tonkin Hwy. All in all these are very minor annoyances. It does feel amazing to drive once you get your own custom drive settings to the way you want them.

The biggest annoyance has been that it needs a short shifter, Forge Motorsports has one available but I'm not sure I want to jeopardise my warranty at all.
And my only real concern so far has been in the wet it lost traction sometimes when accelerating, mainly from a standstill, and when it did it axle hopped until traction was back. Not sure if that's axle hop is the right term for it. Also not sure if they're meant to do that or not. I just hope there's a mod to fix that down the track. Hasn't happened in the dry yet.

I've only fairly recently moved to Perth so I don't know any good roads to take it on or if there are any large car meets or happy laps track events. In Brisbane, there are mountain roads only 15-20 mins away, there are large monthly car meets with 200+ cars, mainly organised by Downshift, and fortnightly "happy laps" track events (ie open to anyone, no helmet required, non-competitive 30-90 min cruise sessions on the 2 Bris tracks for about $30-70), mainly organised by Downshift, Torque Time or smaller groups/clubs.

Anything like that in Perth?
Thanks for the detailed reply! I don't know any drivers clubs. I think this racetrack has 'open days':
https://www.wascc.com.au/
My current car, which I will be trading, is boring as hell and can be blamed for me seeking out a car that is more fun to drive. So I havent had the need to belong to any clubs yet!
I did wonder whether the fastback would be prone to losing traction in the wet, since power delivery is through the front wheels. It took me ages to decide on this car. I dont like the golfs (GTI or R), the megane RS280 is overpriced and I am unconvinced about the quality of renaults. If I had the money I would buy the RS3 sedan. The fastback ticked all the boxes and test drove well.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I don't know any drivers clubs. I think this racetrack has 'open days':
https://www.wascc.com.au/
My current car, which I will be trading, is boring as hell and can be blamed for me seeking out a car that is more fun to drive. So I havent had the need to belong to any clubs yet!
I did wonder whether the fastback would be prone to losing traction in the wet, since power delivery is through the front wheels. It took me ages to decide on this car. I dont like the golfs (GTI or R), the megane RS280 is overpriced and I am unconvinced about the quality of renaults. If I had the money I would buy the RS3 sedan. The fastback ticked all the boxes and test drove well.

You won't be disappointed. For the traction, I'm sure a much better tyre would fix that issue up in the wet. I'm not a fan of Renaults either. I was considering a Civic Type R or a WRX STI but the Fastback ticked off all the boxes and I got a much better deal plus it has some more features that I couldn't find on the other 2 I was considering.

PM me or post up on the WA N Facebook group if you want to go for a drive once you get it. The August meet/drive is a fair bit away so I'm sure I'd be keen on a drive or 2 before then

Reactions: Gazza
Sure. The run in period is going to annoy me though...
Always keen for a weekend blast if you want to catch up. I'd noticed the same thing about that new section of Tonkin and the annoying false speed cameras. Waze via Android/Apple is far better for day-to-day use (and more up to date speed cams etc).

The trip out to York in August will include some good driving roads :)

Always keen for a weekend blast if you want to catch up. I'd noticed the same thing about that new section of Tonkin and the annoying false speed cameras. Waze via Android/Apple is far better for day-to-day use (and more up to date speed cams etc).

The trip out to York in August will include some good driving roads :)
Hi Gazza. How's the car going? I'm up to 600km and itching to test limits! I drove down to mandurah over the weekend and it seems to have done the engine a world of good. It feels more responsive. I've only taken it up to 4000rpm on acceleration and backed off, since I'm paranoid about the run in period. Has your cars performance improved with time?
Cheers

Reactions: simmo777 and Gazza
Hi Gazza. How's the car going? I'm up to 600km and itching to test limits! I drove down to mandurah over the weekend and it seems to have done the engine a world of good. It feels more responsive. I've only taken it up to 4000rpm on acceleration and backed off, since I'm paranoid about the run in period. Has your cars performance improved with time?
Cheers
I haven't noticed the car improving to be honest. Very tempted to dabble with some mods but will fight that urge until the pricing becomes more reasonable (and easier to get passed the Boss at home). But the car is still ridiculously fun to drive each day. I occasionally travel for work and literally miss driving my car when I'm away. Haha.

I haven't noticed the car improving to be honest. Very tempted to dabble with some mods but will fight that urge until the pricing becomes more reasonable (and easier to get passed the Boss at home). But the car is still ridiculously fun to drive each day. I occasionally travel for work and literally miss driving my car when I'm away. Haha.
I trust that the engineers of the i30n have it right. How can some back yard guy know better and develop mods? I'm suffering since im at 600km and waiting to crack that magical 1000km limit before I can push limits. The sound system is the only thing that that lets the car down. Basically it sounds crap. If there was an option to upgrade that I would take it. Considering I have took the luxury upgrade I am disappointed with that doesnt include sound. The stereo/radio sound is the worse of any car I have owned.

I trust that the engineers of the i30n have it right. How can some back yard guy know better and develop mods? I'm suffering since im at 600km and waiting to crack that magical 1000km limit before I can push limits. The sound system is the only thing that that lets the car down. Basically it sounds crap. If there was an option to upgrade that I would take it. Considering I have took the luxury upgrade I am disappointed with that doesnt include sound. The stereo/radio sound is the worse of any car I have owned.
Can't agree more regarding sound system. I've upgraded the speakers all round, but it needs more. Needs more bass, and more volume. Love just listening to the exhaust, but I drive a fair bit, and needs some tunes to get me through the commute.

Can't agree more regarding sound system. I've upgraded the speakers all round, but it needs more. Needs more bass, and more volume. Love just listening to the exhaust, but I drive a fair bit, and needs some tunes to get me through the commute.
I'm actually embarrassed to turn on the audio when I have passengers. Hyundai could make some money by offering a tailored upgrade with a reputable brand such as BOSE or Harman Kardon.

Reminder to all - a week next Sunday (the 18th) - we shall drive out to York for a lunch etc. Should be a good drive with some great roads. Family friendly destination (I'm warning you all that my little ones will be in tow). Current plan is to meet at Jane Brook Fresh (Wilson Road, Middle Swan - just off Toodyay Road) at 10:00am - then approx 1.5 hour drive up to York Olive Oil. Will confirm a few of the finer details this coming weekend. Extend the invite - all welcome - would love to see some new faces (and a Fastback or two!)

Last edited:
I'm in Perth and would love to attend however have other commitments. I wish to thank those who have organised this event since it sounds like great fun! Hopefully there will be other opportunities to show my fastback N is better than yours!

Hi People,
On Sunday I'm off to Melbourne, back Thursday evening.
Better let me know what you have planned, like numbers, what you expect, etc... so that I can offer you top class hospitality.
Remember, I don't do Facebook, Twitter, etc...too old for this nonsense.
Good old phone, or email preferred.
Froggy (York Olive Oil)

OK all. Stephen and I made a trip out to see Froggy this morning at York Olive Oil. Confirming plans for next Sunday 18th August.

We shall meet at Jane Brook Fresh at 10:00am, and depart there around 10:15am and head up to York Olive Oil where Froggy will have the wood-fired pizza oven fired up.

Dough will be available, and Stephen and I will bring some of the basic pizza toppings and paper plates etc. Please bring drinks/cups etc and any fancy-shmancy pizza toppings.

Please let me know if you'll be coming along so we can sort out a few things for Froggy's.

Reactions: levin
OK all. Stephen and I made a trip out to see Froggy this morning at York Olive Oil. Confirming plans for next Sunday 18th August.

We shall meet at Jane Brook Fresh at 10:00am, and depart there around 10:15am and head up to York Olive Oil where Froggy will have the wood-fired pizza oven fired up.

Dough will be available, and Stephen and I will bring some of the basic pizza toppings and paper plates etc. Please bring drinks/cups etc and any fancy-shmancy pizza toppings.

Please let me know if you'll be coming along so we can sort out a few things for Froggy's.
Count me in Gazza