• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

wearelikewise shift knobs for i30N?

smoov

Apr 16, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Good evening all,

I love the i30N, but I absolutely loathe the gear knob. It's hideous. Looks like it's trying to copy the Golf somewhat.

Anyhoo.

I may have found an alternative, and I was wondering if anyone has tried fitting this? (Click on the image for more info). This is an adaptor made to suit Hyundai Veloster's shift mechanism, along with a wearelikewise shift knob. They come in a range of designs, some which would appeal to crooked wheel kids... I prefer the simpler designs.

So one of these, along with a wearelikewise shift knob? Would this work on the i30N? (Again, click on the image to check it out)

Many thanks!

smoov

Apr 16, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Glad to hear it!

Please let us know how you go with fitting it all. I don't see it being terribly difficult.

I've seen the merch these Aussie boys have, and it appears to be good quality stuff. The anodizing, they seem to warn people about with fade, not sure if that's more about themselves protecting themselves against people complaining, their anodizing processes (or both).

They also seem to stipulate quite firmly that it's meant for "offroad use". In Australia, it's illegal to have a gear shift (stick shift!!) without a gear pattern drawn out nearby.

I may have a solution for THAT issue also!

Reactions: GazmaN

J BOB

Aug 17, 2018
wigan
Personally I love the feel of My knob ;) , just to verify I mean the gear knob on the car, not the door knob on the house :D....

Reactions: R Veloster N

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria
Also ordered the Euro adapter, as I'm not quite sure the Veloster adapter will fit (thanks Hyundai for using a somewhat "standard" threaded shifter on anything but the N).

wearelikewise

Sep 23, 2019
Australia
Hi everyone.

My name is Jordan and I'm one of the directors of We Are Likewise. I stumbled upon this thread and thought it was worth joining to answer any questions you may have about our products.

If you need to know anything, let me know on here or feel free to get in touch via our IG or contact us page here.

Cheers!

Also ordered the Euro adapter, as I'm not quite sure the Veloster adapter will fit (thanks Hyundai for using a somewhat "standard" threaded shifter on anything but the N).
Hi Nullobandito,

You should have shot us an email or DM and we could have saved you from buying two adapters.

If you like, post up some photos of your shifter assembly with your shift knob removed and I’ll be able to tell you straight away what adapter will be compatible. Hopefully the Veloster adapter you’ve purchased will work and you can return the Euro Adapter.

For what it’s worth, out of all the car manufactures we make adapters for, Hyundai are by far the worst to work with. Most manufactures use the same shifter assembly configuration throughout their entire range. And normally it’s a simple design.

Hyundai on the other hand think it’s a good idea to use a different shifter assembly design on each model/year/colour. This makes it a nightmare for aftermarket product manufacturers and ultimately, less options for the consumer.

Glad to hear it!

Please let us know how you go with fitting it all. I don't see it being terribly difficult.

I've seen the merch these Aussie boys have, and it appears to be good quality stuff. The anodizing, they seem to warn people about with fade, not sure if that's more about themselves protecting themselves against people complaining, their anodizing processes (or both).

They also seem to stipulate quite firmly that it's meant for "offroad use". In Australia, it's illegal to have a gear shift (stick shift!!) without a gear pattern drawn out nearby.

I may have a solution for THAT issue also!
Hi Smoov,

Thanks for the kind feedback about our quality. We certainly take pride in this.

With regards to anodising, it’s a bit from column A and a bit from column B.

At the end of the day, the reality of anodised aluminium is that it does fade. There’s no way around it. To make matters worse, some anodised colours fade faster than others and once you factor in heat fluctuations, UV and general daily use, it’s incredibly hard to know how long an anodised surface will last. This is why we do our best to be as transparent as possible when it comes to fading.

As for ‘show use only’, this is a liability clause for safety and legality reasons.

Last edited:

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria
@wearelikewise Thanks for helping us out here!

Currently I have the suspicion that none of your adapters will fit the cars here, as the "thread" on the N is quite weird:
N-Shifter_LR.jpg

The square side is ~14mm in width and the rounded one seems to be ~18mm.

My best guess so far would be to either change the rod that's in there or remove some of the material from the inside of the 14mm Euro Adapter.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Pretty much, without all the tech!!:p @NULLOBANDITO was banging a few gears with them Popeye forearms and pulled his off, then slapped it back on.

The service manual states in short to; Place shifter in neutral position and pull up with force. It's held on with a spring clip and groove in the shifter arm. Look at the thread provided below;

https://n-cars.net/forums/threads/shift-knob-removal.2951/

Last edited: