• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Veloster Ns have a No Lift Shift? [Answer: no.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna censor/remove unnecessary stuff, but listen, we have over 5,000 members on this forum with like 3 active moderators. I can't look at everything all the time so I have to trust members not to be dicks to each other.

If you don't like what other people say you can always choose to not respond to that part. If you feel the content may be against the forum rules you can always report it so we can take care of that.

Car has to be equipped with an ignition cut out. There are very few cars equipped with them. The i30N nor VN are equipped with one.
What is no lift shift?

You may have heard the term before: "no-lift shifting." It's the process of foregoing the clutch altogether and simply popping the car into the next gear. ... Without using the clutch, the driver is asking the synchronizer to do a job it's not supposed to do. That is, match the wheel speed to the transmission speed.
Is power shifting bad for your car?
Yes. Power shifting puts extensive stress on the little synchronizer rings that live inside your transmission and the jerking motion will quickly disintegrate the engine mounts, not to mention the loading of unnecessary stress on your entire drivetrain.
These are just a few references.

Last edited:
Reactions: oohhjo

These are just a few references.

Please stop assuming I don't know exactly what I'm doing. As politely as possible, I'm asking you to move on. I want nothing to do with this kind of stuff.

Yeah there's tons of information available on the internet and even more from people who have direct knowledge of how it's supposed to work.

If you're going to even attempt it, (which I don't ever advise) you have to equip the car with an ignition cut out that works in unison with the ECU. It 's not even used in NHRA anymore, as it's far to abusive to the drivetrain as a whole. Most of us older mechanics and racers found out first hand and learned the lesson rather quickly. Today, transmission and differentials are far more expensive then in yesteryear.

Motorcycles are easy to equip but cars not so much. The effects are brutal on the clutch and transmission. Most motorcycles that are aftermarket equipped, use air or electronic shifters. I've blow up a few motorcycle and car transmissions that were set up properly.

Use the clutch as it was designed to be used and you're transmission will last along with the clutch. It's expensive and gets even more expensive when you blow the trans. I know, been there done that. :)

AFAIK, as in what is standard on my other car, no lift shifting is when you push the clutch in while keeping the gas floored. Although engines have rev-limiters, in this situation, it's too much energy to release the clutch, the rev-limiter isn't going to "catch" the engine before you are damaging it. The no-lift shifting kicks in and allows you to keep the pedal floored and match the RPMs for the upshift. This is what's described in the manual and I know a few other cars operate the same.

The no-lift shifting kicks in and allows you to keep the pedal floored and match the RPMs for the upshift.
Without clutch use, period.
AFAIK, as in what is standard on my other car, no lift shifting is when you push the clutch in while keeping the gas floored
Read the descriptions above , watch the videos, #422, that's incorrect; no lift shifting, is not using the clutch at all when shifting. (it requires an ignition cut-of, f synced with the ECU.) Power shifting is; when the clutch is utilized at WOT. Neither are beneficial in anyway, not good for the drive train or promotes reliability or longevity.:)

Power Shifting can be utilized in any manual transmission equipped car, with or with a rev-limiter. I wouldn't advise it or tell anyone to utilize it.

It simply amazes me when the factual information is provided, in plain english, quoted, and how people still won't read.šŸ˜œšŸ˜…

Last edited:
Read above #422 that's incorrect; no lift shifting, is not using the clutch at all when shifting. (it requires an ignition cut-off) Power shifting is; when the clutch is utilized at WOT. Neither are beneficial in anyway, good for the drive train or promote reliability of longevity.:)

It simply amazes me when the information is provided, it's in plain english, quoted, how people still won't read.šŸ˜œšŸ˜…
My point is, that's not a consistent definition across automakers.

To perform a No-lift Shift, simply put the throttle to the floor (i.e. WOT), and keep it there. Once the tachometer reaches the enable RPM, you can depress the clutch and shift as quickly as you can, and youā€™ll notice the tach will go to your target RPM during the shift. For example,, with your throttle pedal to the floor, and the tach above 5000 RPM, say 5100 RPM, you can quickly upshift without lifting your throttle foot.

That's from the chief engineer.

Last edited:
Reactions: avayswavay
It is consistent with automakers and only if the vehicle is so equipped.

You're mixing Power shifting and NLS. They are entirely different. There is no auto manufacturer that remotely permits or advocates Power Shifting their manually equipped automobiles. :)

It is consistent with automakers and only if the vehicle is so equipped.

You're mixing Power shifting and NLS. They are entirely different. There is no auto manufacturer that remotely permits or advocates Power Shifting their manually equipped automobiles. :)
Here's a few more: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430322

I am not mixing up power shifting, multiple automakers use the term "no-lift shifting" to describe the function that allows you to keep the accelerator floored while shifting. If you don't believe this after showing multiple examples, I don't know what to say...

Even the first article that comes up on google from motor authority breaks it down into two-categories, considering that both of those definitions can fit into the general term.

Reactions: avayswavay
You're not reading and or listening but reading into it with your own definition and belief. I'm not going to have a discussion or argue about something I'm very familiar and know extremely well.

Believe what you want and do what you want with your car, I don't care.

Neither is good for the drive train. You need to read and listen to #422 above, before responding, Nuff said. šŸ˜…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.