• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Veloster N: Dash Buzz Rattle And Rear Wiper Leak - Anyone else?

I've had the N for over a month now and have been noticing that there is a buzzing sound from the center dash when the exhaust cutout is open and the engine is wound out towards 5k.

Also noticed the other day that when I am spraying the car at a handheld carwash, the pressurized water appears to leak under the rear wiper/handle assembly or bottom at the rear glass seal, resulting in a few drops on the inside glass going up in a 10 o'clock direction.

Anyone else notice these problems?

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

I've had the N for over a month now and have been noticing that there is a buzzing sound from the center dash when the exhaust cutout is open and the engine is wound out towards 5k.

Also noticed the other day that when I am spraying the car at a handheld carwash, the pressurized water appears to leak under the rear wiper/handle assembly or bottom at the rear glass seal, resulting in a few drops on the inside glass going up in a 10 o'clock direction.

Anyone else notice these problems?
Prob the wastegate rattle that we’ve discussed before

Thanks. My first thought was some inaccessible wiring loom under the dash. This is a much easier fix.

Going to monitor the hatch wiper leak. Kind of hesitant to take it to the dealer unless there is a known TSB so they are not just blindly taking things apart. I can do that myself, probably with more care.

Y0UKN0WITSCHRIS

Thanks. My first thought was some inaccessible wiring loom under the dash. This is a much easier fix.

Going to monitor the hatch wiper leak. Kind of hesitant to take it to the dealer unless there is a known TSB so they are not just blindly taking things apart. I can do that myself, probably with more care.
No TSB for leaks atm for the US. Just for the brake noise but if they post something I’ll keep y’all updated. If you have a reputable dealer nearby don’t be afraid to bring it to their attention. That’s what they’re there for

I noticed in mine as well (as far as rattle ) . Looked under the hood and notice the heat shield above turbo is loose and the 10mm bolts are fully seated. Probably will take to Hyundai since under warranty.

Also, my tech confirmed yesterday that there is a known issue with the review mirrors making a buzzing sound. They immediately knew what to do and had it resolved in minutes. It kinda sounds like it's coming from the center of the dash since the sound is bouncing off the windshield.

Also, my tech confirmed yesterday that there is a known issue with the review mirrors making a buzzing sound. They immediately knew what to do and had it resolved in minutes. It kinda sounds like it's coming from the center of the dash since the sound is bouncing off the windshield.

That's interesting. I'm hearing a faint buzz too around the center of my dash.i was thinking a loose turbo shield or wastegate. I'm going to pay more attention to the rear view mirror to see if I noticed it.

Both of my issues seemed to have went away for the time being. May have something to do with outside temperatures near 40 deg F rather than below freezing and that I re-adjusted the mirror...

I have this too. Pretty sure it's my mirror and not the wastegate - just doesn't sound like it's metallic or coming in the engine bay.

I'll check when I get back home next week to see if holding the mirror does anything to alleviate the rattling. Would also be interested in hearing what the fix is like just tightening a screw or something.

Mine sounded more like plastic vibrating rather than metal as well. My first thought was a plastic wiring loom which was not tied down tight. The noise only occurred with the exhaust valve open and engine wound near 4k.

You may want to try re-adjusting the mirror once and see if it goes away. In my case, I ended up moving the mirror way too far for a normal minor adjustment and had to completely reset it so it is possible that might have fixed it. Took me a day or two to realize I wasn't hearing the noise anymore and has now been a week without it returning.

The harmonic vibration is definately come from the rear view mirror. Readjusting the mirror works and I'm going to take it off and add a piece of thin rubber between the base and the window so it won't come back.

@smicheal As far as the leak around the lower rear hatch seal, I haven't seen one but then again I haven't paid much attention to it. Easiest way to check is take a small thin trim tool and run it around the seal. It may be bunched up or have a small kink in the seal itself. Seen it before. Try this first before you disassembly anything.

Last edited: