• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tyres Tyre Recomendations UK

Chris-93NEP

Jan 27, 2020
Burnley
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if there’s already a thread for this. Just wondering if anyone has any recomendations for tyres over the HN P-Zeros, been quoted £270 for 2 new P-Zeroes.

First time owning a performance type car so never put thought into new tyres until owning the N.

Cheers

nyhok

Nthusiast
Jan 20, 2021
London
Top three are:
  • Michelin Pilot 4 /4S ( 4 for the comfort, 4S for the sporty grip. Most expensive of the three due to popularity)
  • Continental Premium Contact 6 (Regarded as the better sport centric tyre over the PS4)
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 5 (All-round great tyre and cheapest of the three)

ColinP

Nthusiast
May 17, 2018
Peak District
Oh, and remember to check your tyre pressures after getting them changed. Garage I had mine done at had 3 almost correct and one at 55psi.... unbelievable.

Reactions: Chris-93NEP

PeterP

Nthusiast
Nov 2, 2018
Slovenia
Top three are:
  • Michelin Pilot 4 /4S ( 4 for the comfort, 4S for the sporty grip. Most expensive of the three due to popularity)
  • Continental Premium Contact 6 (Regarded as the better sport centric tyre over the PS4)
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 5 (All-round great tyre and cheapest of the three)
Premium Contact 6 sidewalls are pretty soft, for our car i would go Sport Contact 6 rather, they are pretty good but only downside is the wear is pretty high because of the soft nature of the compound.
And as someone mentioned Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSports would be better for our car aswell.
Not taht Asymetric5 or PremiContact 6 are bad, they are just more numb and more comfort based, thus lacking in steering response/feel and dry grip, but probably overall better wet grip like PS4 compared to PS4S. ✌

Shadow-Flo

Nthusiast
Aug 12, 2019
Germany
Always the usual suspects:

Sporty:
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
- Bridgestone Potenza Sport
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport
- Conti Sport Contact 6

More on the comfortable/allround side:
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5
- Continental Premium Contact 6

Reactions: Chris-93NEP

Chris-93NEP

Jan 27, 2020
Burnley
Always the usual suspects:

Sporty:
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
- Bridgestone Potenza Sport
- Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport
- Conti Sport Contact 6

More on the comfortable/allround side:
- Michelin Pilot Sport 4
Is the comfort and noise between the PS4 and PS4S noticeable? Look roughly same price on black circles. Do either have the rim protector?

Shadow-Flo

Nthusiast
Aug 12, 2019
Germany
The PS4S is also very comfortable due to the soft sidewall. For me there are no reasons to buy the PS4, when the PS4S is available in size.
The PS4 is a bit faster/safer in the wet and a tad more comfortable, that's all. Everything else is on the PS4S' side.
Rim protectors should be equal. The pic shows the PS4S 235/35 on 8x19.
Autec_8x19_PS4S1.jpg

deadmeat86

Jun 8, 2021
Staffordshire, UK
Are you looking to run this tyre all year round or do you also run winter tyres?
If you're running all year round I'd suggest one of the comfort/allround tyres that Shadow-Flo has listed above as these will still give reasonable grip when it gets cold.

- Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Edit: My I30N has Pilot Sport 4S all round at the moment and I'm looking at getting a set of winter wheels to use from Oct-Mar. Yes it's more expense but you also spread the wear over 2 sets of tyres so each set will last twice as long.

Luke

Nthusiast
Jan 19, 2018
Bedfordshire
Hi all, it seems like my front P-zeroes tyre outer are worn out (middle of the tyre is like brand new), most likely due to bad wheel alignment. Only done 5k miles since 2019 and no track, love doing the roundabouts though 😂.
I am looking to buy set of 2 Michelin P4S for the front and keep P-zeroes on the back.
Would this be okay or is it recommended to swap all 4? The rear P-zeroes are still looking good. Thanks in advance.

deadmeat86

Jun 8, 2021
Staffordshire, UK
I would say that's fine, though I tend to move the new tyres to the rear for stability. I'm OK with the car pushing to understeer on the limit but I find unplanned oversteer makes me need to change my underwear, as it always seems to pop up when you're hard braking on a corner where you weren't expecting it!

nicosp

Nthusiast
Dec 16, 2020
Cyprus
Hi all, it seems like my front P-zeroes tyre outer are worn out (middle of the tyre is like brand new), most likely due to bad wheel alignment. Only done 5k miles since 2019 and no track, love doing the roundabouts though 😂.
I am looking to buy set of 2 Michelin P4S for the front and keep P-zeroes on the back.
Would this be okay or is it recommended to swap all 4? The rear P-zeroes are still looking good. Thanks in advance.
I will let someone who has experience commenting mixing the two brands and at the end is pure personal preference of how the car feels/behaves.

Having the new tyres on the front and worn on the rear is not recommended. The rear axle should always have the newer/grippier tyres. The previous reply was correct , though I wanted to add that it's not personal preference but rather the actual recommendation.

I would go with an exception to that rule, if you have a minor difference of thread depth (e.g. 1-2mm) between the two sets and in the coming period you have no plans to do any serious demanding driving.

Reactions: Luke

Luke

Nthusiast
Jan 19, 2018
Bedfordshire
I will let someone who has experience commenting mixing the two brands and at the end is pure personal preference of how the car feels/behaves.

Having the new tyres on the front and worn on the rear is not recommended. The rear axle should always have the newer/grippier tyres. The previous reply was correct , though I wanted to add that it's not personal preference but rather the actual recommendation.

I would go with an exception to that rule, if you have a minor difference of thread depth (e.g. 1-2mm) between the two sets and in the coming period you have no plans to do any serious demanding driving.
Appreciate your reply, thanks. Oh yeah, I forgot about the rule to put new set on the rear and used on the front - I guess in the garage they would advise me of the same. In any case I was curious about mixing brands.

Also not sure how Hyundai would be with accepting pcp car back with different brand tyres than P-zeroes, anyone have experience or knowledge of that too?

Jajodu

Nthusiast
Nov 11, 2018
Bishops Stortford
Appreciate your reply, thanks. Oh yeah, I forgot about the rule to put new set on the rear and used on the front - I guess in the garage they would advise me of the same. In any case I was curious about mixing brands.

Also not sure how Hyundai would be with accepting pcp car back with different brand tyres than P-zeroes, anyone have experience or knowledge of that too?
As long as the replacement is legal and the correct size I can't see what grounds they would have to object.