• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Tuning TurboXS blow off valve install video

Cygnus X-1

There’s no MAF sensor, so no inherent negative issues. Genesis Coupe, Sonata and Optima platforms using the same engine have been using blowoff valves on them for years with no negative issues that I know of.

Cygnus X-1

Sound will be relative depending on valve design and configuration.

Performance improvement depends on how quickly blowoff occurs (valve design and sensitivity both affect this) but also if the ECM will allow an increase in boost pressure. Only way to know for sure is to monitor or log boost pressure in common conditions both before and after, then compare data results.

That being said, I’d also like to see some vids with sound of any compatible blowoff valve that is being used.

Last edited:
There’s no MAF sensor, so no inherent negative issues. Genesis Coupe, Sonata and Optima platforms using the same engine have been using blowoff valves on them for years with no negative issues that I know of.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

I've seen some companies already offering adapter flanges. Someone on here ( I forget where I saw it, linked one made for GReddy). And ADD W1 makes one that'll accept HKS bov. Which will also work for SuperDrift.

Speaking of SuperDrift, they make an intake pipe with or without the recirc nipple, but you have the choice of filters they offer or you can chose to purchase just the pipe and fit it with something that mates with it.

N'oodles

R Veloster N

The BOV install is: simply insurance that you don't rupture the diaphragm of the OEM internal BOV. However unless you; do a tune which also modifies the boost pressure or utilize a Piggyback ECU, it's not of grave concern.

Boost pressure for the N is capped at 21 psi. You'll need to be in the 27-30psi range for diaphragm to be compromised.

GarageLine is sell the Turbo XS at nearly;
$247+ with tax. Turbo XS produces and sells it at; $186.77 and change for tax on sale right now.

https://turboxs.com/blow-off-valve/322-2019-hyundai-veloster-turbo-hybrid-blow-off-valve.html

It's a hybrid BOV, so it recirculates some of the air flow back to the intake the rest to the atmosphere.

OK so I installed the valve today.. Don't know if I'm completely happy with it but I may have something set not right. I was finding that the valve was opening too early even when wound right down. So I added two washers to the piston which come with the kit. This allowed it to come in at higher boost. But I find the valve opens and shuts very quickly. Is this normal? In my old car I had a turbosmart valve which seemed to stay open a bit longer and hence sounded better. This is obviously a hybrid so is recirculating back into the intake pipe so maybe that makes a difference? Anyways any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

1FastStagea

OK so I installed the valve today.. Don't know if I'm completely happy with it but I may have something set not right. I was finding that the valve was opening too early even when wound right down. So I added two washers to the piston which come with the kit. This allowed it to come in at higher boost. But I find the valve opens and shuts very quickly. Is this normal? In my old car I had a turbosmart valve which seemed to stay open a bit longer and hence sounded better. This is obviously a hybrid so is recirculating back into the intake pipe so maybe that makes a difference? Anyways any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers
I noticed after installing my 100% atmospheric Greddy RS BOV the same thing you did in regards to the valve closing very quickly. I'm thinking it's just a function of this engine as I have my tension screw completely loosened and it still does it. I don't hear any compressor surge so I would imagine it's doing it's job correctly, shame it doesn't have the long-winded release that they have on most other engines...

I noticed after installing my 100% atmospheric Greddy RS BOV the same thing you did in regards to the valve closing very quickly. I'm thinking it's just a function of this engine as I have my tension screw completely loosened and it still does it. I don't hear any compressor surge so I would imagine it's doing it's job correctly, shame it doesn't have the long-winded release that they have on most other engines...
Yeah it kinder sounds a bit weak in my opinion. I didn't want anything too loud hence why I went the hybrid. But something that last more than a nano second would have been nice. I may even add another washer as I hate it coming in too early. I made a video of me installing it which is fairly shit due to me being a complete spaz when talking on camera :p

Cygnus X-1

I know some people like prominent, long purging sounds, but the primary purpose of the valve is to open, purge and close as quickly as possible to minimize boost pressure loss between shifts.

Flutter when purging is not good, even though some people think it sounds cool. Just means the valve is insufficiently purging and causing compressor surge. Yeah, it’s not nearly as bad as on-throttle compressor surge, but it’s still abusing your turbo.

https://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/3/14/p6rwfjc50rjfsr2vtqkk3njyfv84bn

I know some people like prominent, long purging sounds, but the primary purpose of the valve is to open, purge and close as quickly as possible to minimize boost pressure loss between shifts.

Flutter when purging is not good, even though some people think it sounds cool. Just means the valve is insufficiently purging and causing compressor surge. Yeah, it’s not nearly as bad as on-throttle compressor surge, but it’s still abusing your turbo.

https://www.themotorhood.com/themotorhood/2016/3/14/p6rwfjc50rjfsr2vtqkk3njyfv84bn
OK that's good then. Was wondering what was going on. Is there any harm with putting my tension on the spring so it only works at higher RPMs? Or can I do some damage doing that?

Cygnus X-1

What RPM is your blowoff threshold now?

This engine will produce full boost at a fairly low RPM. Moderate to significant amounts of boost pressure having nowhere to go when the throttle plate closes puts a lot of strain on the compressor wheel and common shaft, as reversion waves go back towards the compressor. You’re basically inducing compressor surge by not letting the valve do its job. Not kosher.

What RPM is your blowoff threshold now?

This engine will produce full boost at a fairly low RPM. Moderate to significant amounts of boost pressure having nowhere to go when the throttle plate closes puts a lot of strain on the compressor wheel and common shaft, as reversion waves go back towards the compressor. You’re basically inducing compressor surge by not letting the valve do its job. Not kosher.
OK so you are saying it's better for the valve to work even at low rpm as full boost is achieved early on? Any ideas on what rpm it should operate at? Currently it seems to work from anything above 3500 rpm. Depending on how hard I'm pushing it.