• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Turbo upgrade from factory

lordll

Aug 7, 2019
Madrid
Hello everyone,

First of all apologies if this topic is already open but I thought it might be interesting for you to know. I don't know if you are aware of it, but during the life cycle of the first I30N model (prior to the restylingfor 2021), some changes have been done to the turbo of the car from factory.

At least as I know there are different PN ended in B1 (2017-2018), C1 (2019-2020) and D0 (latest 2020 models). I am not sure about the C1 model, but the B1 had a 41mm compressor wheel while the D0 model has a 45mm compressor wheel. I don't know if from stock there is any difference in power, but I heard people complaining about the car starting to die at 5500 rpm or before (when overboost endes), but from my own experience ( I own a car from 31st of July 2020) the car seems to keep pulling after overboost.

It would be interesting to compare the dyno graphs from each turbo.

Hope you find this info interesting.

Alcpone80

Sep 29, 2020
Co. Durham
That's interesting 👍

I have a 70 plate so I assume my internals will be fiddled with aswel.

When it's using overboost is that when you get the little green turbo symbol coming up nexr to the turbo guage? I should really read my handbook fully but hey ho 😁

lordll

Aug 7, 2019
Madrid
That's interesting 👍

I have a 70 plate so I assume my internals will be fiddled with aswel.

When it's using overboost is that when you get the little green turbo symbol coming up nexr to the turbo guage? I should really read my handbook fully but hey ho 😁
You can "easily" check which one you have. You just have to look at the plate that is at the right side of the turbo (looking from the front).

Yes, the overboost is that green turbo symbol :) .

Reactions: Alcpone80

Bu11eT

Staff member
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
Really interesting topic!

Just got notice yesterday of a guy who bought a new turbo from Hyundai and wondered why the compressor wheel was bigger :p

Would be super interesting to find out what other differences there are between the turbos!

RemcoV

Feb 29, 2020
Hellevoetsluis
Has it something to do with Non OPF and OPF cars? OPF cars maybe have the bigger wheel to overcome the extra restriction the OPF brings with it to remain the same power?

Reactions: loboo

Bu11eT

Staff member
Jun 30, 2018
Germany · Schleswig-Holstein
Has it something to do with Non OPF and OPF cars? OPF cars maybe have the bigger wheel to overcome the extra restriction the OPF brings with it to remain the same power?
It may be related to the OPF, but the MY19 has the OPF and still the 'small' Turbo.
Maybe Hyundai needed a bit to get the new one in and introduced it now.
But as for the reason why, it may very well be the OPF like you said.

Reactions: loboo

chris93

Sep 27, 2020
London
I just checked mine, 68 plate and It says C0? - I definitely have a reduction in power after 5500 but it is still worth revving the engine out it doesnt just die

Reactions: Bu11eT