• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!
When I used RaceChip box, we took all nessesary measurements and it was safe for engine untill you did not switched on Race mode. In race mode IAT started to rise dramatically and it is not the best idea to use it on city driving (you have longer stops in front of traffic lights and your speed is pretty low).

Did they rise dramatically even when just driving around normally, or only when you were at full throttle/pushing the car hard?

Who does updates fuel injectors and updated fuel pump

Thanks

You shouldn't have to upgrade the fuel system until 400+whp. As these are direct injection engines the only upgrade right now would be to add a custom intake manifold with an additional set of port injection injectors, and then upgrade the in-tank pump.

I've had my TDI box fitted for a week now. From what I've read on this thread this box delivers a similar experience to DTUK, Racechip etc.
Very audible difference in turbo sound i.e. you can really hear it spool now. A much more pronounced shove low in the revs and in 6th gear when cruising on a motorway when I floor it.
Only 2 connections, boost pressure and inlet manifold sensor.
It feels like it fills a performance gap that was slightly lacking and it makes the car more enjoyable.
I had a JB1 on a Golf R, the car was faster but felt better without it. I once had Bluefin on a mk 5 Gti, same thing, much more drivable without.
This TDI though doesn't spoil the great driving experience these i30N's offer, just enhances it.
It has 7 settings, each claim to increase HP up to the max gain which is 308 PS according to the TDI website.
Overall very happy, feels like a tuner car now but in a good way, I am well aware though that this device merely tricks the ECU into increasing boost pressure whereas a map instructs/programs the ECU to increase boost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Reactions: simmo777
I've had my TDI box fitted for a week now. From what I've read on this thread this box delivers a similar experience to DTUK, Racechip etc.
Very audible difference in turbo sound i.e. you can really hear it spool now. A much more pronounced shove low in the revs and in 6th gear when cruising on a motorway when I floor it.
It feels like it fills a performance gap that was slightly lacking and it makes the car more enjoyable.
I had a JB1 on a Golf R, the car was faster but felt better without it. I once had Bluefin on a mk 5 Gti, same thing, much more drivable without.
This TDI though doesn't spoil the great driving experience these i30N's offer, just enhances it.
It has 7 settings, each claim to increase HP up to the max gain which is 308 PS according to the TDI website.
Overall very happy, feels like a tuner car now but in a good way, I am well aware though that this device merely tricks the ECU into increasing boost pressure whereas a map instructs/programs the ECU to increase boost. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks for the info - where did you buy your box from?

I've had my tdi box on for about a month now, I dare not take it more than mode 4 as it just spins. Certainly picks up in the low revs. I'm planning a dyno run this month to see what the gains actually are.

I have a feeling we're about to see a lot of posts soon saying "Hyundai make shit engines because I blew up my car using internet bought tune modules" ..

I seriously hope no one is buying these tuning boxes thinking they will keep their warranty because they are undetectable. ANY parameter changes to fuel and air can be detected through any ECU software checking device at services/warranty claims even if you unplug the module before taking it for a service.

The entire history of fuel/air parameter changes stay on the ECU until it's flashed.

I have a feeling we're about to see a lot of posts soon saying "Hyundai make shit engines because I blew up my car using internet bought tune modules" ..

I seriously hope no one is buying these tuning boxes thinking they will keep their warranty because they are undetectable. ANY parameter changes to fuel and air can be detected through any ECU software checking device at services/warranty claims even if you unplug the module before taking it for a service.

The entire history of fuel/air parameter changes stay on the ECU until it's flashed.

6k KM on mine with a custom map on my JB4 so far, zero issues and I beat the crap out of my car constantly. One of the reasons I like the JB4 over all the other boxes, you can see exactly what's happening with each change made and each map change since it has full data logging and transparency for all changes made straight from the manufacturer.

Not sure if anyone else had noticed this, but there's been several posts on Facebook i30N Groups in which people have been experiencingengine troubles with their cars after fitting after Market engine chips etc

Reactions: Namyang Style
Not sure if anyone else had noticed this, but there's been several posts on Facebook i30N Groups in which people have been experiencingengine troubles with their cars after fitting after Market engine chips etc
I've not seen that, have you got a link?

Is there? I'm on both i30n face book groups and can't say I've seen any posts regarding engine issues due to running a tuning box?

I’ve ran a tuning box on various cars (from new) and have had no issues with servicing or anything like that.

Nothing whatsoever.

These aren’t £30/40 chips of EBay. Companies like Racechip are getting more respect now (Top Gear did an article about their I30N with ‘Type R levels of power’) and didn’t scaremonger about engine failures.

As others have said, if you do anything to modify your car then you take a risk, but the tuning scene is changing, and these boxes are a different option than remaps.

Dyno printouts elswhere showing fuelling etc so not just made up numbers or placebo.

Each to their own but I’d guess, pretty confidently, that nobody’s engine is going to suffer failure due to modifying in this way.

"The entire history of fuel/air parameter changes stay on the ECU until it's flashed."

I also find this confusing. The tuning boxes don't overwrite the parameters on the ECU, so flashing the ECU with new firmware or software won't do anything. They change the values reported to the ECU.

Is there? I'm on both i30n face book groups and can't say I've seen any posts regarding engine issues due to running a tuning box?

Agreed - I've been all over every facebook / insta / n-cars forum and every bit of N related social media space I could find since I had the car on order and I'm yet to read anything about issues caused by tuning boxes in the i30n... Not saying it hasn't happened but you'd think there would be at least something written about it especially if there were multiple occurrences.

It's funny to me that several forum members are running all the different brands on the market for several months and thousands of kilometers and I've only read positive results on this forum... Am I missing something? o_Oo_Oo_O

Reactions: Mr.Gobsy
Agreed - I've been all over every facebook / insta / n-cars forum and every bit of N related social media space I could find since I had the car on order and I'm yet to read anything about issues caused by tuning boxes in the i30n... Not saying it hasn't happened but you'd think there would be at least something written about it especially if there were multiple occurrences.

It's funny to me that several forum members are running all the different brands on the market for several months and thousands of kilometers and I've only read positive results on this forum... Am I missing something? o_Oo_Oo_O

I can definitely remember reading something about this but after trawling back through all the N groups I'm in in Facebook I can't find a thing, but there was 100% a post about someone who was suffering engine trouble at a high mileage and pointing the finger at his tuning box.

The cars have not really been out long enough for many stories to surface. A bad tune can take a couple of years to wreck an engine.

I'm all for tuning boxes if they have a custom dyno tune map logged onto it. Buying an internet tune for your $45k vehicle is just madness, the fact that every engine will show a different power figure on the dyno should be enough evidence to say that every engine is different enough to warrant a custom tune.

I will be checking back at this thread as more "STAY AWAY FROM ____ TUNING BOX IT DESTROYED MY ENGINE" will be undoubtedly appearing though.

Reactions: simmo777 and TarmoT
The cars have not really been out long enough for many stories to surface. A bad tune can take a couple of years to wreck an engine.

I'm all for tuning boxes if they have a custom dyno tune map logged onto it. Buying an internet tune for your $45k vehicle is just madness, the fact that every engine will show a different power figure on the dyno should be enough evidence to say that every engine is different enough to warrant a custom tune.

I will be checking back at this thread as more "STAY AWAY FROM ____ TUNING BOX IT DESTROYED MY ENGINE" will be undoubtedly appearing though.

I'll take that bet! Loser buys the other a crate of beer! As I don't think you will see any threads stating a tuning box destroyed my engine! These aren't 2 pound boxes anymore! Turns have changed.
I dont run one but that doesn't mean I never would! I ran one on my abarth 500 for 4 years and never had one single issue with it or the car!

I'll take that bet! Loser buys the other a crate of beer! As I don't think you will see any threads stating a tuning box destroyed my engine! These aren't 2 pound boxes anymore! Turns have changed.
I dont run one but that doesn't mean I never would! I ran one on my abarth 500 for 4 years and never had one single issue with it or the car!

It has happened on the Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda etc forums I don't think Hyundai's are immune to engine damage related to bad tunes either.

I don't know why people wouldn't custom dyno tune their cars in favour for a generic internet tune. Maybe I have too much respect for my car but unless someone is actively altering fuel and air parameters monitoring them as they go I wouldn't run the risk personally.

Tuning boxes are great but the generic 'one size fits all' tunes on them is a bit of disservice to your car imo.

Reactions: PaulD
It has happened on the Subaru, Mitsubishi, Honda etc forums I don't think Hyundai's are immune to engine damage related to bad tunes either.

I don't know why people wouldn't custom dyno tune their cars in favour for a generic internet tune. Maybe I have too much respect for my car but unless someone is actively altering fuel and air parameters monitoring them as they go I wouldn't run the risk personally.

Tuning boxes are great but the generic 'one size fits all' tunes on them is a bit of disservice to your car imo.

Everyone is different and you wouldn't run one but 1000's of people do!
Yeh other forums have topics on tuning boxes etc and not doubt Hyundai will too but to dismiss them outright is a little niave! They do a job and I'm sure there maybe problems but there is also loads who don't have any problems! Me included!
A custom map will always be better I'm not doubting that but your comment about you'll pop back in to see all the threads on tuning boxes killed my engine is a little way off the mark! Like I said if I see genuine proof and a thread with evidence it destroyed an engine and it was the box alone that destroyed it I'll happily pay up the bet!