• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Gearbox Transmission fluid?

Ghost

Aug 14, 2019
Northeast
I searched and came up with mostly nothing. I know it must be GL-4 compatible but does it have to have an LSD additive? I'm using Amsoil for oil and I'll probably use that in the transmission too. Does anyone know the torque specs, how many quarts, and location of the drain and fill plugs? Pics?

Would this be ok to use?

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGPK-EA

Thank you in advance.

-M

Muflon

Jun 5, 2018
Vienna
I was told by hyundai that we must have spirax s6 ghme 70w mtf (shell) as is stated in manual. It seems it can be bought only directly from hyundai and they ask 56e per liter ( we need 2 )

J BOB

Aug 17, 2018
wigan
I'd use what Hyundai say use! Where I work we have oil analysis equipment and believe Me if it comes down to a warranty claim and You've used something different they will know! ;)

newbtostandard

Sep 23, 2019
Pennsylvania
Anyone know what the size of the crush washer on the transmission drain plug is? Was able to replace oil washer at change but didn't have a washer the correct size for tranny.

newbtostandard

Sep 23, 2019
Pennsylvania
Changed the oem tranny fluid trash out a bit ago. Replaced with Redline MT-LV and this has fixed most problems. No more notchy shifting, the synchros actually engage and do their job, and there is slightly less tranny hum. Highly recommend doing this as a minor performance mod.

Ghost

Aug 14, 2019
Northeast
And where did you guys get the washers? Can't seem to find them. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

-Mike

newbtostandard

Sep 23, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hey there, I used a bit over 2 qts so for sure buy 3. The washer I reused for this change but the part is on the schematic above part number 21513. I believe the schematic is from hyundaipartsdeal.com

Reactions: GazmaN

Ghost

Aug 14, 2019
Northeast
Ok, I purchased some Redline MT-LV so I don't mess up the warranty. That's what the list said as a proper replacement. I did purchase 3 quarts too just to be safe, Do I need to purchase any limited slip differential additive too? Thanks for any confirmation.

Best regards,

-Mike

Last edited:

Mr. N

Aug 18, 2019
South Florida
It's very strange that Hyundai offers spare parts and specify the fluid replacement for the Electronic Differential. However, they specifically state in the shop manual not to; service, change, remove or replace the fluid.

I dont think its strange at all. At some point it will wear out. I bet if you take it to the dealership and tell them about replacing the fluid. They’ll throw the “its lifetime fluid” nonsense at you. Which I do not believe at all.

Reactions: newbtostandard

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
They won't change the ATF fluid but offer rebuildable parts and opt for replacing the Electronic Differential instead? It's their dime if they want to waste their time, so be it.:oops:

The cars up on the racks now, so I'm going to check for servicing plugs. None of the workshops schematic reference them, but I'm going to see.

Well, maybe not now that I think about it a bit longer. Taking in consideration most of the Hyundai Techs aren't trained to rebuild; Differentials and Trans Axles and don't have a clue. :rolleyes: They won't rebuild an engine, do head work, turn rotors, rebuild steering racks etc. They just replace entire systems upon warranted approval or if you have the cash and give them approval.🤔

Don't have the time obviously! No wonder some dealerships service is bad. Just slap it in and hope it runs.😂

Last edited:

Alfresco

Apr 22, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
The way I'm interpreting the service manual, the differential is actually external to the main transmission, which is why it has its own oil supply, different from the rest of the transmission. So that said, I don't think you need to use a 70 weight oil in the transmission, since the only part that might be sensitive to viscosity is the differential. I just bought two quarts of Redline MT85 which is a 75w85 oil. I feel like this will be ok for 3 reasons: 1) people on the Facebook groups have done it without any issues 2) I live in the desert and a 70 weight oil will probably be too thin and 3) this is a bog-standard manual transmission and most of them used to run 85 weight oils. Manufacturers have started specifying lighter oils for fuel economy purposes not because the transmission requires it. Mazda did this with the Mazdaspeed3 transmission, for example. Nothing mechanical changed but over the years they called for lighter and lighter oil to help with fuel economy.

Reactions: Ghost