• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Track-day warranty [Country-Overview]

Below is the e-mail I received from Hyundai Australia customer service when I asked the question before buying:

"We have been advised that Non- competition events would be non-timed.

Thank you.

Non-timed open track days - Non Competitive, Track Warranty

Timed events run by companies like Trackschool Trackdays - Competitive, No Track Warranty

CAMS / AASA sanctioned supersprints - Competitive, No Track Warranty

Let me know if you have further enquiries."

Just an update to my post. Out of the blue Hyundai Australia contacted me and said they had made an error in their first e-mail and confirmed that timed but non-competitive events ARE covered by the track warranty.

This covers companies like Trackschool Trackdays who ran their N Festival.

Until everybody realises that dealerships (worldwide) are going to do EVERYTHING to avoid warranty claims if they can, and the second biggest avoider of warranty claims is manufacturers, then there are always going to be disputes over warranty claims.

I personally would NEVER EVER tell my dealer or Hyundai my car broke whilst on the racetrack, regardless of the circumstance or event. I see on Facebook people proudly show off their third place in a Gymkhana in their i30N. A timed event (to get a result), and NO warranty for ever more, even three years down the track on the road.

I would tow the car home (at my expense), and tell them my turbo blew up when I was doing 60kmh 1/2 km from home. Would it work? Not sure. But I don't have the AutoLink installed (ever), and it is THEIR responsibility to PROVE I was at the track in a timed event when it happened. Telling them it happened on the track would be very risky.

BTW Hyundai, I do take my car to the track, I vent my speed frustrations out in a safe environment, I don't ever hire a lap timer, my lap times are irrelevant, and I long ago discovered my ability is far exceeded by the capabilities of the N, so I think I am pretty safe, unless of course I bin it one day! LOL ...
They know it with reading data...

^ Not really, they can read the black box but it won't provide a location. The ECU/TCU won't log anything other than operation of the engine and transmission. Taking the car to the track, is not a violation of the warranty. It's simply the smart thing to do, if you have the itch. Better there, than on the road. :)

In the interest of being honest with my dealer(s), I've asked all of them about the Track Warranty and no one at any of them ever claims to have heard or seen such a thing. My service advisors have always been cool with me when I question their feelings on a mod, but on mere mention of a race track, they make the universal sign for "SHHH" and say they don't want to know and can't know.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I've seen that warranty statement in numerous places online; where did it come from? Can it be traced directly to Hyundai in any way? I track my car a lot, and am always a little nervous as to what the dealer will say if something does give up on the track.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
@jm1681 yep, the statement comes directly from Hyundai. If you check the first link on the first post of this thread, it's the official statement regarding this topic issued by Hyundai USA.

@jm1681 yep, the statement comes directly from Hyundai. If you check the first link on the first post of this thread, it's the official statement regarding this topic issued by Hyundai USA.
I appreciate that, but no one I've spoken to acknowledges it in any way :/ I've spoken to Hyundai of America Customer Service and they too have no knowledge of it. If it is seemingly common knowledge, why can't I find a single person from Hyundai who knows anything about it?

Because this is a forum, I will follow this by saying I'm not trying to argue, I genuinely just don't know what to believe at this point. I've talked to four service managers in three different states, and no less than four people at Hyundai of America Customer Service; not one acknowledgment of this document 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO
In the interest of being honest with my dealer(s), I've asked all of them about the Track Warranty and no one at any of them ever claims to have heard or seen such a thing. My service advisors have always been cool with me when I question their feelings on a mod, but on mere mention of a race track, they make the universal sign for "SHHH" and say they don't want to know and can't know.

I guess what I'm getting at is, I've seen that warranty statement in numerous places online; where did it come from? Can it be traced directly to Hyundai in any way? I track my car a lot, and am always a little nervous as to what the dealer will say if something does give up on the track.
Hyundai Assurance directly.:)

Indeed. I'm lately thinking of relegating the N to daily duty, and doing a Stupid Toy Build for tracking :(

I like my Veloster N a lot. Possibly more than any off-the-shelf car I've owned, but a big part of that IS the comfort of the warranty. My dealer seems cool with light mods, and turning a blind eye to track use, but the more I touch to really have it track-ready, the more I have a chance of a problem :(

I am sorry for digressing, I'm just feeling a little defeated in my car lately. I'm not slandering it at all, it's awesome, but it's not quite as track-ready as it gets billing for. More than any Hyundai has ever been, absolutely, but out of the box, it is not ready for hard track life.

There are a lot of cars that are being promoted as track ready. Like the Megane RS, the Focus RS, the Type R, the Clubsport/TCR to name a few.

Yes they can be used on track, but they are designed to be daily drivers aswell. If you do serious tracking, the stock brakes don't hold up on any of them, and an additional oil cooler is definitely recommended. Same goes for the i30N.

Special editions like the Clubsport ,,S'' and the Megane Trophy ,,R'' are more designed for track use and less for daily. Those hold up better on track straight out of the factory. :)

^ Fair enough.

More the youtube car review community I suppose? Hyundai's press junkets for reviewers did typically include track stints. Still not outright calling it a track car directly, the community I feel pushes the viewers to that direction.

Does that make sense? Research the car to any length, and you're going to find people praising its track prowess, and I feel that's a little misleading.

I'm sorry, I'll be in my corner 🤣

^ Fair enough.

More the youtube car review community I suppose? Hyundai's press junkets for reviewers did typically include track stints. Still not outright calling it a track car directly, the community I feel pushes the viewers to that direction.

Does that make sense? Research the car to any length, and you're going to find people praising its track prowess, and I feel that's a little misleading.

I'm sorry, I'll be in my corner 🤣
I'm not sure where you are in the world and your local warranty situation but the UK warranty covers track use as standard where almost every other warranty I know of is invalid the moment you put a wheel on a track.

He's from the US as I am and the VN has a specific track and modification warranty. Both cars are a good representation of a car that can be utilized on track days but this doesn't make it a track car per say.:)

Reactions: WRCi20N
He's from the US as I am and the VN has a specific track and modification warranty. Both cars are a good representation of a car that can be utilized on track days but this doesn't make it a track car per say.:)
I have to add to that though, seven Hyundai dealer and service departments I have spoken to (In four different states now), Hyundai of America Customer Service, nor anyone at Hyundai Assurance has ever expressed direct knowledge of this warranty when I've mentioned it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Again, I'm truly not trying to stir a pot, I'm just explaining my own experiences. I have never been denied service at Hyundai (Even when I brought the car in with EXCESSIVE brake noise after a *ahem* "very hard stop."), but when I make passing mention of said warranty to anyone, NO ONE has ever had a clue what I'm talking about.

It's for that reason that I put cautious faith in them upholding my warranty in the event of a more significant issue.

I have to add to that though, seven Hyundai dealer and service departments I have spoken to (In four different states now), Hyundai of America Customer Service, nor anyone at Hyundai Assurance has ever expressed direct knowledge of this warranty when I've mentioned it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Again, I'm truly not trying to stir a pot, I'm just explaining my own experiences. I have never been denied service at Hyundai (Even when I brought the car in with EXCESSIVE brake noise after a *ahem* "very hard stop."), but when I make passing mention of said warranty to anyone, NO ONE has ever had a clue what I'm talking about.

It's for that reason that I put cautious faith in them upholding my warranty in the event of a more significant issue.

Bottomline is, you'll have to stick it under their nose as printed to get a formal response. Asking questions and telling them about it, won't ruffle a feather. Eyes begin to pop, when the paper is shown to them in the flesh.:)

Even Kia knows what modifications are allowed to their Stinger and specifically approved by Kia verbatim.

Bottomline is, you'll have to stick it under their nose as printed to get a formal response.
With all due respect, please think about how that sounds; show them a copy of something none of them have heard of, clearly have never been told anything about, and expect it to be leverage?

If no one I've spoken to from Service Managers, to Dealership Owners, to Assurance Representatives have a response when questioned about it, how does a piece of paper anyone could have made up (Not saying that's what it is, but...) provide me ANY defense 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm not calling it BS (Even though I have found literally nothing from any official Hyundai source that links me directly to that PDF), I'm just saying I don't think a physical copy is worth much of anything in the wake of an expensive claim :(

A link from an Official Hyundai source that I can point at and say, "Well what about this?" would shut me up completely, and maybe I'm just missing it! I just haven't found it perhaps, but I've damn sure looked :(

Mate, this discussion is so far from the original intent, EXHAUST POPS&BANGS DISCUSSION, I believe I'll stop right here. This is something you're going to have to personally take the initiative with. Everything has been provided and is there for use. Make your own choice. I suggest you move your inquire, to the thread specified above.:)

I'm sorry about that :/ It de-railed, I saw it happening, but this type of nip didn't occur, so I kept running with the discussion :(

Again, sorry about that.

I AM sorry for beating this dead horse, I'm just at a loss with the issue. I've exhausted every option and avenue I can think of and come up empty time and time again. NO ONE throughout any branch of Hyundai's network acknowledges this document, or any track-specific protocol concerning our cars exists 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm sorry about that :/ It de-railed, I saw it happening, but this type of nip didn't occur, so I kept running with the discussion :(

Again, sorry about that.

I AM sorry for beating this dead horse, I'm just at a loss with the issue. I've exhausted every option and avenue I can think of and come up empty time and time again. NO ONE throughout any branch of Hyundai's network acknowledges this document, or any track-specific protocol concerning our cars exists 🤷🏻‍♂️
Did you show the dealerships the document up front? Have you faxed or emailed the document to Hyundai Assurance Management and requested clarification? If you haven't, then this is part of the initiative you must take.

Most likely, it's who you're talking to up front. If you haven't gotten past a dealership staff, then it's the dealerships lack of knowledge. If you haven't gotten past Hyundai Assurance Customer Services first level, they aren't going to be able to respond to your inquiry either. Simply saying "NO one in the Hyundai network " in general terms, isn't the entire Hyundai network. I seriously doubt you've spoken to even a Hyundai Regional Sales Manager/Staff or Engineering Staff.

Most owners simply contact Hyundai Customer Service and/or dealership/service managers and get NADA or a reasonable response, then let it go as non-existent. None of which, have even a basic understanding what the Hyundai N-Performance Division is or Hyundai have to offer as a whole for the VN.

Case in point; I inquired with Hyundai Assurance and got a hand full of gimmies for buying the VN. They weren't advertised nor made directly available to owners. Heck we got $1000.00 for nothing in cash, from an Allstate Insurance Promotion no one knew about for purchasing a new Hyundai. Did you, did anyone tell you about it at the dealership when you bought your VN? It's there for the taking and all you have to do is answer Allstate questions and wait for a check. Yeah, it took a couple of months but it was free money. Yep, I said free money. A check for $500.00, not once but twice on two different cars.

In all seriousness, my dealership knew nothing of the VN after it's release. I got the first one in available in my state. Hyundai Assurance US had no idea there were N-Performance parts available for the VN, let alone knowing about a specific track/modification warranty. Our dealerships entire sales staff, were completely ignorant of the VN in the beginning and needed proctoring thru the entire purchase of the car. Go into a Hyundai dealership right now and ask about the Kona N or Elantra N. You'll get a big" deer in the the headlight look" or they'll attempt to talk to you about the Elantra N-Line or Kona Premium trim.

They don't have a clue and are nothing but car salesman/management and could care less. If you haven't been to a Hyundai US dealership except once to purchase a car, you'll at least know in the way you're treated up front. Most of the salesman are ignorant in their understanding of the entire Hyundai model line. They can't make a sales decision let alone do the math without help.

Once I inquired and put it in their face directl, a whole new world opened up in from of their eyes. Now, I have a service/parts department manager that is aware, they're actually attempting to acquire all the actual Hyundai Part Numbers for the N-Performance Parts to make them available for purchase.

Our dealership service manager, is also aware of the VN N-Performance Track /Modification Warranty and have acknowledged its existence and support. Everyone from the sales staff to the service department knew jack about the VN when it was released and still know nothing, except what they have to know to sell the car. That isn't much, it sells itself more than any salesman or sales manager does. Perspective owners are inquiring directly before even going to a dealership. Why, because it's forums like this who educate them up front. Which is a dang sight more than they get at the dealership webinars.

Then there's their personal initiative. Most car salesman and managers are lacking, especially when you see them out front of the showroom gabbing with the other salesman and grab arsing. The one I look for if there is one; is the guy sitting at a table diligently reading a brochure, working on selling a car and answering valid, perspective owner questions. Most salesman can't, so I look for the odd man out or I talk to the finance manager, who was once a avid car salesman who got promoted.

So as I said before, this is something you're going to have to take a personal initiative with and your respective dealership.

Personally, they don't have much time for questions like you're presenting to them, the know how or the wherefore. So it falls back on you the owner to take the initiative and educate them. There's always one you can find who's bucking for a promotion or has the drive to find out. That's the individual/s you have to look for. If you aren't knowledgeable and aware of what your talking about, how are you going to inform them or get them to respond in a positive manner.

Excuse the post length, I thought it necessary to make the objective clear.