• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Track-day warranty [Country-Overview]

mickjf

Oct 19, 2019
Canberra
There's definitely a variation across different markets.

The NZ warranty appears to allow timed non-competitive days but here in Australia I have it in writing that ANY timed event is not covered (e.g. Trackschool Trackdays). Which is funny given that's who they got to run the first N Festival with timing.

Also NZ excludes non OEM tyres but in Australia you can have R spec tyres including the Trofeo that are sold through dealers.

Corsa59

Jan 19, 2018
Until everybody realises that dealerships (worldwide) are going to do EVERYTHING to avoid warranty claims if they can, and the second biggest avoider of warranty claims is manufacturers, then there are always going to be disputes over warranty claims.

I personally would NEVER EVER tell my dealer or Hyundai my car broke whilst on the racetrack, regardless of the circumstance or event. I see on Facebook people proudly show off their third place in a Gymkhana in their i30N. A timed event (to get a result), and NO warranty for ever more, even three years down the track on the road.

I would tow the car home (at my expense), and tell them my turbo blew up when I was doing 60kmh 1/2 km from home. Would it work? Not sure. But I don't have the AutoLink installed (ever), and it is THEIR responsibility to PROVE I was at the track in a timed event when it happened. Telling them it happened on the track would be very risky.

BTW Hyundai, I do take my car to the track, I vent my speed frustrations out in a safe environment, I don't ever hire a lap timer, my lap times are irrelevant, and I long ago discovered my ability is far exceeded by the capabilities of the N, so I think I am pretty safe, unless of course I bin it one day! LOL ...

dacho

May 28, 2018
Croatia, Zagreb
For what than we have ""Lap timer" on display ??? If we can't messure our time on track ????

Here in Croatia it is allow to go on track on one condition, no lap timing !!!

Reactions: superdriver

Nomad17

Dec 21, 2018
USA
In list of "acceptable" mods what exactly is the straight exhaust pipe? Downpipe, or does this basically include all of the exhaust? Also the oversized tb, is this referring to a spacer or boring out the original?

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Until everybody realises that dealerships (worldwide) are going to do EVERYTHING to avoid warranty claims if they can, and the second biggest avoider of warranty claims is manufacturers, then there are always going to be disputes over warranty claims.

I personally would NEVER EVER tell my dealer or Hyundai my car broke whilst on the racetrack, regardless of the circumstance or event. I see on Facebook people proudly show off their third place in a Gymkhana in their i30N. A timed event (to get a result), and NO warranty for ever more, even three years down the track on the road.

I would tow the car home (at my expense), and tell them my turbo blew up when I was doing 60kmh 1/2 km from home. Would it work? Not sure. But I don't have the AutoLink installed (ever), and it is THEIR responsibility to PROVE I was at the track in a timed event when it happened. Telling them it happened on the track would be very risky.

BTW Hyundai, I do take my car to the track, I vent my speed frustrations out in a safe environment, I don't ever hire a lap timer, my lap times are irrelevant, and I long ago discovered my ability is far exceeded by the capabilities of the N, so I think I am pretty safe, unless of course I bin it one day! LOL ...
However, the Hyundai Assurance Track Warranty can be utilized against them directly. They can't speak out of both sides of their mouths at the same time.

Dealerships are aware of the Hyundai Assurance Track Warranty. Hyundai authorizes the warrantied claims, not the dealership. It's not the dealer you have to convince. The dealership submits the warranty claim to Hyundai. Hyundai approves or denies the warrantied claim based upon a failure of a part or system. If a dealership submits the car was tracked, then Hyundai Assurance is compelled to follow their own written track warranty.

Dealerships are provided parts and paid for the specific man hours it takes for the repairs. Sometimes, in parts credits or direct shop fees.

As far a warranted parts, keep in mind wear and tear items ie; clutches, brake pads, tyres, etc. Hyundai is not responsible for these, the owner is. If you wreck or damage the car while at the track, that's on you the owner not Hyundai.

Hyundai also provided you the owner with free towing service and it's contacted. The contracted towing company, has no obligation to admit, deny or respond as to where the car was picked up or towed from. It simply doesn't matter in all cases and has no bearing on the actually warranty claim. It's a break down towing service, provided to you the original Hyundai owner.

Otherwise, honesty is the best policy with the dealership and Hyundai. Hyundai has provided you with the owness to track the car, rather you do or not. Hyundai is compelled by law to uphold their publicly announced track warranty.

Last edited:

NULLOBANDITO

Staff member
Dec 17, 2018
Innsbruck, Austria
If you wreck or damage the car while at the track, that's on you the owner not Hyundai.
Except in the case that a part that shouldn't break in the driving conditions you were under broke and caused an accident, like the steering linkage on one side just giving up. Unless, ofcourse, a part has been modified that directly influenced the functioning of the faulty part.

Reactions: R Veloster N

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
True, but if the owner wrecks the car due to his negligence, it's on the owner. However, it a fine line. In essence, Hyundai expects the car will be tracked. So, they're telling you the car can and is capable of taking the rigors of trackdays, gymkhana, autocross, etc. So once again although implied, they're compelled to repair or replace the failed parts.

It's the way I see it legally. You'd have a good case if it came to a civil suit.

Reactions: NULLOBANDITO

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
This also includes the, "Launch Control." Hyundai put a launch control into the VN or i30N, then in the same breath tells an owner not to utilize it? On the contrary, Hyundai boldly touts it as one of their built in benefits and selling points. Which IMO, is a contradictory to clutch integrity and longevity.

Keeping this in mind, you might possibly be able to argue this with Hyundai Customer Service or in court, for a warrantied clutch replacement if it goes south early on in the life of the car.

Note; if you have a Hyundai Platinum 10 year Bumper to Bumper Warranty, clutch replacement is covered no questions asked.;)

Last edited:

oodLes

Oct 14, 2019
Australia
This also includes the, "Launch Control." you don't put a launch control into a VN or i30N, then in the same breath tell an owner not to utilize it.
I spoke with Geoff Fear about the launch control and it's very simple, the car will let you do it 3 times in a 10 minute window and then it will lock you out to protect the car and let it cool down. He also mentioned specifically that the reason they put on a track day for the N cars is that they're built to do it, they have no concerns with the reliability of the car on a track. There were 100+ cars on track at the N Festival in australia, none had any issues.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
With the VN this isn't so. You can utilize it, as many times as you care to. Keep utilizing it and the clutch life will be shortened by half. That's just the way it is with both cars. The clutch utilized in the both, is just not that robust.:(

Then Hyundai shouldn't have any concerns, when an owner takes them to task over its use and the accelerated wear.:D

Sorry but Geoff Fear isn't going to tell you anything but what he said to you directly. He works for Hyundai and isn't going to mention anything to the contrary.

How long do you think he'd be working for them, if he stated anything else?:eek:;)

Last edited:

oodLes

Oct 14, 2019
Australia
Sorry but Geoff Fear isn't going to tell you anything but what he said to you directly. He works for Hyundai and isn't going to mention anything to the contrary.

How long do you think he'd be working for them, if he stated anything else?:eek:;)
Geoff tells it like it is. If you ever speak to him in person you'll see that immediately.

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Listen, anyone who is making a good living as a corporate entity and promoting that cooperation, is going to say exactly what will keep him employed. I'm not naive enough to believe anything else. I've been a retired soldier, a cop, a mechanic, a salesman, and much more in my 64 years of life.

What brings you a living, you're not going to jeopardize over a few words to someone you have no allegiance to or know. He's given you his Hyundai take, speal and corporate verbiage, nothing more and in his personal style. You can spin it as you like but it's the same throughout the corporate world.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: EssEll

loafer-N77

Staff member
Feb 4, 2019
UK
I think we can leave the conspiracy theories and "what ifs" for another thread. Lets not derail this one almost instantly.

This is stickied to show the differences between global markets (with two different vehicles as well) for track day warranty.

People are starting to compare "Apples and oranges" here tbh and we don't need pages of tit for tat.

Read the statement applicable to your region, if in doubt maybe clarify with Hyundai in your own country?!

oodLes

Oct 14, 2019
Australia
Listen, anyone who is making a good living from as a corporate entity and promoting that cooperation, is going to say exactly what will keep him employed. I'm not naive enough to believe anything else. I've been a retired soldier, a cop, a mechanic, a salesman, and much more in my 64 years of life.

What brings you a living, you're not going to jeopardize over a few words to someone you have no allegiance to or know. He's given you his Hyundai take and corporate verbiage, nothing more in his way. You can spin it as you like but it's the same throughout the corporate world.:)
Nah Geoff speaks to you car guy to car guy. During the tech talks at the N festival nothing was off limits and he gave you straight answers. N Performance division here in Aus is very open with the customers, it's one of the reasons I bought mine, a performance car with a manufacturer that is open and confident in their own product.

Out of interest I went and checked the manual and there isn't a mention of 3 times in 10 minutes, so I'm wondering if that's an unpublished little bit of info. In our manual the information is: "Launch Control is available again after cooling down by driving the vehicle for at least 3 minutes" - is that the same in the VN manual?

Edit: posted before I hit reply Loafer, I agree :)

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Out of interest I went and checked the manual and there isn't a mention of 3 times in 10 minutes, so I'm wondering if that's an unpublished little bit of info. In our manual the information is: "Launch Control is available again after cooling down by driving the vehicle for at least 3 minutes" - is that the same in the VN manual?
That's correct, there's no mention of it.:) Not that I'm aware of.
In list of "acceptable" mods what exactly is the straight exhaust pipe? Downpipe, or does this basically include all of the exhaust? Also the oversized tb, is this referring to a spacer or boring out the original?
Boring out the throttle body or installing a larger compatible aftermarket TB. Also, spacers for both intake and TB. None affect the basic operation of the engine.

An aftermarket downpipe and full exhaust system is approved.

Last edited:

Mightymoo

Sep 20, 2018
Norway
This thread is for CONFIRMED AND WRITTEN warranty contracts and other firm evidence. Stuff lawyers love to read, not unconfirmed talk during interviews and over cars’n coffee :(

Contact Hyundai in your country and post when you have an answer from them ;)

I am trying to reach Hyundai in Norway. See if they bother answering.

Reactions: R Veloster N