• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Toyota Yaris GR4

A battery for the four wheel drive??? no rear seat room, small boot, the I20N it is then.

That’s what the sales guy said to me. I though he was joking at first, but big old car battery in where the spare would be.

I wish they’d just committed and removed the back seats totally. But I’m probably in the minority that I don’t have passengers, and it guess it would put normal people off.

Yep, it's a Toyota Yaris, which is the smallest car in the Toyota lineup. It's an ecobox subcompact at $17,500.

Got to chuckle a little bit as Toyota is, hitting buyers up for $38,971.50 excluding TTL for the same chassis. That's a $21,471 dollar increase and can't begin to justify such a cost increase for the modified parts.

To each his own. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: r_anderson96
Yep, it's a Toyota Yaris, which is the smallest car in the Toyota lineup. It's an ecobox subcompact at $17,500.

Got to chuckle a little bit as Toyota is, hitting buyers up for $38,971.50 excluding TTL for the same chassis. That's a $21,471 dollar increase and can't begin to justify such a cost increase for the modified parts.

100% agree! Nifty wee thing but more of a novelty I'd say!

Reactions: R Veloster N
No more of a novelty than an i30 with an N badge on it! A Yaris here is around £20k ish for the new model, base GR is £30k, circuit pack . Similar jump from an i30 to an N (£17k ish to £30k)

I’m not so sure about that, it’ll be interesting to give it a drive when they’re available to see how it goes.

Reactions: Galerion
It's smaller for one and doesn't offer any space, as you stated which is widely apparent. A three cylinder engine isn't concurrent with the performance of a 4 or 6 cylinder and at its upper potential. Reliability of the 3 cylinder, is also in question.

I hope it pans out for Toyota but at over $40K for such a small car I can't see it. :)

Here , $40K + can buy quite a lot of car. That's why it wouldn't sell here.:)

Last edited:
That’s what the sales guy said to me. I though he was joking at first, but big old car battery in where the spare would be.

I wish they’d just committed and removed the back seats totally. But I’m probably in the minority that I don’t have passengers, and it guess it would put normal people off.

The battery in the back is the normal starter battery that every car has. It's there for better weight distribution and so it doesn't take up space in the engine bay.

Not to be disrespectful but your posts in here reek of a fanboy who feels threatened by the existence of a more special car from a bigger more successful manufacturer. Not surprising looking at your user name and the fact that you keep posting in here despite showing that you have zero interest in the car. You have no personal stake in this as far as I can tell so the reason you are posting here must be to spread negativity. Most people don't waste their time with things they are not interested in after all.
But not only have you shown zero interest. You are stating outright misinformation or lies.

For one the smallest car in Toyotas lineup is the Aygo and not the Yaris. That's a blunder already.
The normal Yaris and the GR version also don't share the same chassis. You must mistake it with the way most other manufacturers are doing it including Hyundai. The GR version is a unique combination of platforms that no other Toyota is using or will probably ever use. As a matter of fact the GR version and the normal version don't even share a single body panel with each other. Feel free to google pictures of both cars.
Toyota could have named the car just GR4 or something like that and nobody would bat an eye. The reason it's even called a Yaris is because the WRC car is one and will continue to be one.

Im a car enthusiast and not a N fanboy so I respect and appreciate every enthusiast offering from everyone even if I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money for it. Maybe something for you to think about. Just because this is an N-Car forum doesn't mean you have live in a bubble where everything inside is fine and perfect and everything outside of it is trash.
Anyway Im not interested in playing psychologist and changing your opinion. Your opinion is your opinion but if you keep posting things in here that are objectively wrong I will correct them.

To come a different topic. I posted the renders of a Rocket Bunny kit and as it turns out Daigo Saito already got some of those

It will also be RWD only with a 1000 HP 2JZ because well he is a drifter after all and because he can.

Reactions: shadowlink_64
@Galerion I think I’ve crossed wires talking to the boy just now, we were talking about the battery at the time and I’ve misheard the sales guy talking about the 4wd and I’ve put 2 and 2 together. Sounds like they’re two separate things, just missed the conversation. Sorry if I’ve got it wrong!

Also I like the renders! They look great!

The battery in the back is the normal starter battery that every car has. It's there for better weight distribution and so it doesn't take up space in the engine bay.

Not to be disrespectful but your posts in here reek of a fanboy who feels threatened by the existence of a more special car from a bigger more successful manufacturer. Not surprising looking at your user name and the fact that you keep posting in here despite showing that you have zero interest in the car. You have no personal stake in this as far as I can tell so the reason you are posting here must be to spread negativity. Most people don't waste their time with things they are not interested in after all.
But not only have you shown zero interest. You are stating outright misinformation or lies.

For one the smallest car in Toyotas lineup is the Aygo and not the Yaris. That's a blunder already.
The normal Yaris and the GR version also don't share the same chassis. You must mistake it with the way most other manufacturers are doing it including Hyundai. The GR version is a unique combination of platforms that no other Toyota is using or will probably ever use. As a matter of fact the GR version and the normal version don't even share a single body panel with each other. Feel free to google pictures of both cars.
Toyota could have named the car just GR4 or something like that and nobody would bat an eye. The reason it's even called a Yaris is because the WRC car is one and will continue to be one.

Im a car enthusiast and not a N fanboy so I respect and appreciate every enthusiast offering from everyone even if I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money for it. Maybe something for you to think about. Just because this is an N-Car forum doesn't mean you have live in a bubble where everything inside is fine and perfect and everything outside of it is trash.
Anyway Im not interested in playing psychologist and changing your opinion. Your opinion is your opinion but if you keep posting things in here that are objectively wrong I will correct them.

To come a different topic. I posted the renders of a Rocket Bunny kit and as it turns out Daigo Saito already got some of those

It will also be RWD only with a 1000 HP 2JZ because well he is a drifter after all and because he can.

No matter how much money anyone chooses to sink into it, it's still a Toyota Yaris subcompact. It's no different than any other car that someone decides to sink a bunch of money into. Dress it up or down, it's a Yaris. It's the same Toyota Yaris chassis, that comes off the assembly line. I personally believe is, way overpriced for what it offers or for what it is. Especially after reviewing the specification. Except for maybe............................

I'm not here to argue with you about who's right or wrong. It's not the point by a long shot. I'm just expressing my opinion about the car and keeping it on the topic of discussion without any personal innuendos.

By-the-way in the US, the Yaris is the smallest in the line-up. Sort of like the Prius. So taking this in consideration, I believe I'm correct.

Last edited:
No matter how much money anyone chooses to sink into it, it's still a Toyota Yaris subcompact. Dress it up or down, it's a Yaris. It's the same Toyota Yaris chassis, that comes off the assembly line. I personally believe is, way overpriced for what it offers or for what it is. Especially after reviewing the specification. Except for maybe............................😂

You drive a Hyundai. Move on to a thread you have interest in other than derailing it.

My main query is about a battery running the 4 wheel drive system that doesn't sound right, sometimes when they haven't room under the bonnet they relocate the battery to the boot, my old Mini was like that, pretty sure that's probably the same for the Yaris, thanks for posting all the info it doesn't sound the most practical of cars but if you don't carry passengers or luggage I'm sure it will be a fun car to drive I'm hoping the I20N is more practical but I doubt it will be anywhere near as quick though that's not the b all and end all as we have all found with our own Ns. Was there a battery under the bonnet as well?

I have an opinion just as you have and I like to participate just like you do. I drive more than a Hyundai, just like you own. :)

As @pillred has stated, I believe the i20N will be much more practical and affordable for most people.:)

Additionally, the WRC car packs a purpose built 4-cylinder, not a 3-cylinder and is a totally different engine. :)
Engine
Engine typeIn-line 4-cylinder turbo, direct injection
Engine displacement1600 cc
Maximum powerOver 380 PS
Maximum torqueOver 425 Nm
Bore / stroke83.8 mm / 72.5 mm
Air restrictor36 mm, following FIA regulations
So, like I stated before the 3-cylinder is a total unknown and more holes always outperforms engines with less holes. Comparing a purpose built WRC car with the GR Yaris is certainly not a good comparison. The Yaris GR4 with or without a track package is a front wheel drive and is neither hand assembled.

The car pictured above, has a 4-cylinder hand built racing engine, not an assembly line 3-cylinder. So, such a comparison is just not compatible or realistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: pillred
My main query is about a battery running the 4 wheel drive system that doesn't sound right, sometimes when they haven't room under the bonnet they relocate the battery to the boot, my old Mini was like that, pretty sure that's probably the same for the Yaris, thanks for posting all the info it doesn't sound the most practical of cars but if you don't carry passengers or luggage I'm sure it will be a fun car to drive I'm hoping the I20N is more practical but I doubt it will be anywhere near as quick though that's not the b all and end all as we have all found with our own Ns. Was there a battery under the bonnet as well?
@Galerion just corrected it. Wires crossed with two conversations happening at the same time I think

Reactions: pillred
@R Veloster N it’s just a Hyundai, like this is just a Yaris as you keep saying. Your opinions are welcome just like everyone else’s, but we get it. You don’t need to keep picking holes when people are aware, and just interested in something and want to talk about it.
Every car has their limitations and shortcomings, even your beloved N. You’ve not seen the Yaris, let alone driven it, and time will tell. You think it’s too expensive, and you think it’s too small, good for you, we heard you. Move on.

A polite reminder to all that forums will contain opinions that you might not like.
Can't see any intentions of thread derailment either, all seemed to remain Yaris based.
Most of us drive Hyundai's here, hence why this discussion is in the other marques section.
I see nothing wrong in any of the posts above it's a perfectly fair & reasonable debate.

As for the GR4, I've seen one too - and decided not to take the risk like I did with the N on first sight.
The N did feel an entirely different prospect just sitting in it, and when I finally got to test drive, I knew the right decision had been made.
Felt different about the GR4, didn't captivate me.

The N goes back in March & I'm still on the hunt for something that makes me smile driving it every day almost 3 years on, sadly not the GR4 for me, but hope you fall in love with it when you drive it @_Emma :)

Nobody has an issue with differing opinions @Danscfc, well I certainly don’t. I was surprised when I saw it, but had no expectations, reported back after seeing one.

I don’t like baked beans, but shouting at everyone constantly who does, they’ll still like them 🤷🏻‍♀️

This GR is definately something else.

Lets forget about the specs, the looks etc. Just from a manufacturing standpoint, the lengths to which Toyota has gone to develop never before seen procedures and methods to guarantee quality at (nearer) race car specs is incredible!

The GR features an additional 11 meters of structural glue as well as 200 additional welding points while alignment is measured and validated with a brand new method that has also never been used on assembly lines, this is the only way they could guarantee such high sigma levels. - This kind of sh*t doesn't appear on the brochure.

Vehicle assembly has seen its fair share of development and optimization over the last couple of decades, but Toyota has gone to extreme lengths to push the furthest quality boundaries with the GR, and all models following will gain a lot from experiences learnt with this GR. As history can show us, when Toyota gets something right in an assembly line, the whole automotive world is at a vantage point.

It is very easy to shout out specs, and powerslide a car for marketing purposes, it is a totally different affair when you're buttoned down into making an assembly line to achieve an extremely high quality product, every, single, time.

This is what moves the industry, THIS is what has never been done before, this is what Toyota is doing... to a Yaris

Reactions: Galerion and GazmaN
I have an opinion just as you have and I like to participate just like you do. I drive more than a Hyundai, just like you own. :)

As @pillred has stated, I believe the i20N will be much more practical and affordable for most people.:)

Additionally, the WRC car packs a purpose built 4-cylinder, not a 3-cylinder and is a totally different engine. :)
Engine
Engine typeIn-line 4-cylinder turbo, direct injection
Engine displacement1600 cc
Maximum powerOver 380 PS
Maximum torqueOver 425 Nm
Bore / stroke83.8 mm / 72.5 mm
Air restrictor36 mm, following FIA regulations
So, like I stated before the 3-cylinder is a total unknown and more holes always outperforms engines with less holes. Comparing a purpose built WRC car with the GR Yaris is certainly not a good comparison. The Yaris GR with or without a track package is a front wheel drive and is neither hand assembled.

The car pictured above, has a 4-cylinder hand built racing engine, not an assembly line 3-cylinder. So, such a comparison is just not compatible or realistic.

You are right the main WRC car uses a different engine. But you are also wrong because there are different classes also. Ever heard of WRC2/R5? That's a class that Toyota had no car to compete in until now

And as a matter of fact the head and the block of the G16E-GTS meet the R5 homologation.

$_107.JPG

Not to mention none of that is relevant anyway. The 2JZ of the Toyota Supra was never used in racing and is still legendary.

Anyway I don't know if you guys have seen but over here there a ton of new pictures showcasing all kind of things about the car. Many of them can be downloaded in high definition size. Makes for good wallpapers :)

You are right the main WRC car uses a different engine. But you are also wrong because there are different classes also. Ever heard of WRC2/R5? That's a class that Toyota had no car to compete in until now

And as a matter of fact the head and the block of the G16E-GTS meet the R5 homologation.

$_107.JPG

Not to mention none of that is relevant anyway. The 2JZ of the Toyota Supra was never used in racing and is still legendary.

Anyway I don't know if you guys have seen but over here there a ton of new pictures showcasing all kind of things about the car. Many of them can be downloaded in high definition size. Makes for good wallpapers :)

Galerion said:

(Exactly my point; doesn't have to be a WRC car to sell well. It's not legendary by a long shot however, look at the current Supra ; a cheap imitation of a BMW Z4 and pretty disappointing even under collaboration with another manufacturer. The Toyota Celica was and it went by way of the dodo. They milked that cow, until it was dead.)

Of course we're not talking about a WRC car of any class. You're continuing to attempt to make comparison between WRC cars and the production Yaris GR4 and it just isn't valid. Yes, they'll use a production line Yaris chassis for assembly at the Motomachi factory in Japan. However, it will still be a the production process handled by robots and experienced workers.

I can see how Toyota's marketing hype is steering you, it's obvious up to this point. I'm simply giving you the truth, minus all the hoopla. I can appreciate the thoughts and comments but they simply aren't mine. I've been a automobile enthusiast for nearly 6 decades but I've also become much wiser over those years and listened to far less of the marketing hype, hoopla and looked at cars more practically. I'm still an automobile enthusiast. I'm here, just as you are. :)
This GR is definately something else.

Let's forget about the specs, the looks etc.
This is what moves the industry, THIS is what has never been done before, this is what Toyota is doing... to a Yaris.............
Please, let's don't forget about the specs, as they're important and keen to the entire discussion.

THIS (as you put it) has been done before so many times before in the past, by as many manufacturers based exactly upon marketing WRC replicas; Subaru Impreza WRC - (WRX), Mitsubishi EVO, Ford M-Sport Fiesta, Audi Quattro, Porsche Carrera RGT-(Carrera GT, )etc. This is nothing new under the sun, it's just a rehash of every other previous marketing strategy used by various manufactures in the past.

I'm looking at the Yaris GR for what it really is and it's not, a purpose rally built car or anything near it, as it's being posed by others. It's just a production line boy racer replica, just like every other that has gone before it. Show me the practicality of such a car. The fuel mileage, durability, availability, longevity, etc and I may change my mind. Toyota won't sell the Yaris GR4 in the US (their largest auto market), because they know there isn't a market for it, nor would it sell. Buyers here look at the Yaris as; a subcompact econobox, nothing more. Even adding a bunch of performance parts isn't going to sway their thinking. It's more inline with the Fiat Abarth, that's sold here. It's not very popular either.

When the boy racer wears off and the miles pile on, tell me again how great a car it is. Till then, it's just a Toyota Yaris with window dressing. Let's see if the Toyota Yaris GR4 will stay in production for over a decade as the Hyundai Veloster has. Which has lead to the Veloster N production car. Time will tell, nothing more.

@Galerion You're right on one account so far; I'm not a fanboy of the Yaris GR4 and wrong on the other hand. I bought the Hyundai Veloster N because of the longevity of the Veloster production, practicality, availability, over a decade of success, tried and tested chassis, powertrain and warranty, at a reasonable cost of $29K. Better performance than the Yaris GR, in every aspect. (160+ top speed, 5.1 second 0-60, 13.8 seconds quarter mile).

Some cars are worth clamoring about, if that's what you like to do. Some, not so much.
Price the Toyota Yaris GR4 at the same cost as the VN and there might have something to clamor about. At $40K plus, not so much. Of course we all know how the Toyota Yaris is faring against Hyundai in WRC at the moment, don't we.;)👍

Last edited: