• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Toyota Yaris GR4

Mightymoo

Whoaa! Take a breath everyone! ;)
I think you are all correct in some way.

The Yaris looks like a great (but expensive) car. It is a imagebuilder car for Toyota. Yes, you can get better value for money cars (especially if the car taxes in your country is low).

The Yaris is for enthusiasts, willing to fork out some extra for something special/different. Heck, I am tempted, but my wife would «kill» me :eek:.

Back to the N.. Our N cars ARE great (for the money). There are OTHER great cars out there. It all depends on how deep your pockets are, and preferences.

Personally, If I had the more money I would get a M2 Competition (manual). If I had much more money I would get a 911 Turbo S. Dream on, old man...

But I «only» got an i30N...Love it, clean it to often and drive it with a smile a lot of the time. Heck, we are a priviliged bunch to be able to have such a cool car, when you look at how most people in the world live...

Almost weekend. Enjoy it :)

R Veloster N

This^
Whoaa! Take a breath everyone! ;)
No ill emotions or sentiments. Just a frank discussion, no worries.:D

I apologize my mistake, the calculator was set at Canadian Dollars, not US. So the actual cost for the base model Yaris GR is $38984.95 not $52,325.08 CA Dollars.

However a Circuit Pack $43,528.76 US, IMO is not reasonable for the Yaris GR. Sorry, but there are other cars which are equal to or surpass its performance for less. (insert Hyundai). Reasonable, $37k-$38K out the door w/TT&L. The biggest problems is, dealerships are going to inflate the price of the Yaris GR and buyers are going to have to pay, if they want one. It's just the way capitalism works.

I get the WRC stigma but not for justifying the cost or purchase for the car. In comparison a 2020 Yaris is $17K in US and $25.5K difference in the Yaris GR. Can't see it for a wannabe car and this is what it comes down to.

I didn't purchase or was motivated to purchase the VN for this reason.:)

https://www.motor1.com/news/392559/toyota-yaris-gr-us-petition/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30926650/toyota-gr-yaris-north-america-hinted/

Last edited:

Agent Ti

Interesting discussion.

Basically I get the point on it being too expensive for a Yaris. But I think you need to take the image of the Yaris and the fact it is a small hatchback in general out of the equation.

Target audience will buy this car because of the chassis tech and overall driving excitement it is supposed to offer for its price. And probably also because the lack of badge snobbery it brings with it. And its WRC flavour of course.

And therefore I think the comparison to Impreza STIs and Mitsubishi Evos is actually not that bad. Although the Yaris is quite a step forward in terms of focus on driving and a lot less practical than the other two...

Maybe in terms of character and type of buyer, it is more like a less expensive Megane Trophy-R...

R Veloster N

Interesting discussion.

Basically I get the point on it being too expensive for a Yaris. But I think you need to take the image of the Yaris and the fact it is a small hatchback in general out of the equation.

Target audience will buy this car because of the chassis tech and overall driving excitement it is supposed to offer for its price. And probably also because the lack of badge snobbery it brings with it. And its WRC flavour of course.

And therefore I think the comparison to Impreza STIs and Mitsubishi Evos is actually not that bad. Although the Yaris is quite a step forward in terms of focus on driving and a lot less practical than the other two...

Maybe in terms of character and type of buyer, it is more like a less expensive Megane Trophy-R...
I can appreciate the literary commentary but;

To much speculation and not enough reality focus. This is what Toyota and other manufactures play on with perspective buyers, marketing hoopla! Look at the new Supra and you'll understand.

Looking at in a practically sense and in reality; It's small as small as the Fiesta ST. We owned one and it felt unsafe, despite it's capable performance.

It the yaris GR doesn't offer an eLSD, Active Exhaust or adjustable suspension, no custom tuning of parameters (i30N & VN do). It focuses on one aspect of performance. It has a 5.5 second 0-62 sprint and 143 mph limited top speed. For a car this small and lightweight, it's let down. No one is talking about its fuel economy, daily use or travel practicality.

Availability is a primary question. Inflated prices at the dealerships. It focuses on two distinct marketing groups; young unencumbered and older adults. the prior really can't afford it and the latter will opt for something more robust and comfortable. This is an issue for long term sales. Nuff said!

Making a comparison to the Megane Trophy R is not practical or good. Price and availability was poor with the Megane. It's not a Megane Trophy R by any stretch of the imagination, with regards to overall performance. It's just more speculated hoopla and hipe and undeserved at present time.

The Mitsu EVO and Subaru WRX STI offer/ed more in the way of practical size and performance combined. That's why the WRX STI is still around. Both have gone by way of the dodo in WRC. Basing a purchase solely upon WRC popularity, is not a good way or methodology to purchase a car, especially one that's overpriced for what it is in reality.

This is looking at the Toyota Yaris GR in a practical sense; It's a; boy racer toy, that's overpriced for what it offers or doesn't, especially compared to the VN and i30N. I'm sure it will do everything Toyota says it will do performance wise but with too extravagant a cost attached .;)

Just my two cents!!:)

Last edited:

pillred

I can appreciate the literary commentary but;

To much speculation and not enough reality focus. This is what Toyota and other manufactures play on with perspective buyers, marketing hoopla! Look at the new Supra and you'll understand.

Looking at in a practically sense and in reality; It's small as small as the Fiesta ST. We owned one and it felt unsafe, despite it's capable performance. It doesn't offer an eLSD, Active Exhaust or adjustable suspension, no custom tuning of parameters (i30N & VN do). It focuses on one aspect of performance. It has a 5.5 second 0-62 sprint and 143 mph limited top speed. For a car this small and lightweight, it's let down. No one is talking about its fuel economy, daily use or travel practicality.

Availability is a primary question. Inflated prices at the dealerships. It focuses on two distinct marketing groups; young unencumbered and older adults. the prior really can't afford it and the latter will opt for something more robust and comfortable. This is an issue for long term sales. Nuff said!

Making a comparison to the Megane Trophy R is not practical or good. Price and availability was poor with the Megane. It's not a Megane Trophy R by any stretch of the imagination, with regards to overall performance. It's just more speculated hoopla and hipe and undeserved at present time.

The Mitsu EVO and Subaru WRX STI offer/ed more in the way of practical size and performance combined. That's why the WRX STI is still around. Both have gone by way of the dodo in WRC. Basing a purchase solely upon WRC popularity, is not a good way or methodology to purchase a car, especially one that's overpriced for what it is in reality.

This is looking at the Toyota Yaris GR in a practical sense; It's a; boy racer toy, that's overpriced for what it offers or doesn't, especially compared to the VN and i30N. I'm sure it will do everything Toyota says it will do performance wise but with too extravagant a cost attached .;)

Just my two cents!!:)
The Fiesta ST 2019 is quoted at 6.5 seconds 0 to 62 in all the tests I have read where do you get 5.5 from?

Last edited:

R Veloster N

This is just several right of the top. 5.5 0-62 is for the Yaris GR, not the Fiesta ST. I just edited the above so as not to have readers misunderstand.:)

https://www.motor1.com/news/392090/toyota-gr-yaris-revealed/
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-toyota-gr-yaris-hot-hatch-photos-specs/
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-toyota-gr-yaris-first-look-review/

I believe this is what Toyota has provided to auto journalists and media. It's still open to speculation and remains to be seen, when hands on test are made.

Last edited:

pillred

This is just several right of the top. 5.5 0-62 is for the Yaris GR, not the Fiesta ST. I just edited the above so as not to have readers misunderstand.:)

https://www.motor1.com/news/392090/toyota-gr-yaris-revealed/
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-toyota-gr-yaris-hot-hatch-photos-specs/
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-toyota-gr-yaris-first-look-review/

I believe this is what Toyota has provided to auto journalists and media. It's still open to speculation and remains to be seen, when hands on test are made.
Sorry I just read it as the Fiesta, would be surprised if the Yaris wasn't capable of 5.5 what with being 4 wheel drive and I imagine a fair bit lighter than most of the competition, we will have wait and see interesting little car reminds me a bit of the Daihatsu Charade gtti I owned in the 90s that was a 3 cylinder hot hatch, shame it will be a bit pricey though.

Galerion

Just got an email. The online reservations for the car will begin tomorrow at 12 pm (UTC +1).
Keep in mind Im in Germany but I don't see any reason why this would be any different for the rest of Europe

_Emma

Just got an email. The online reservations for the car will begin tomorrow at 12 pm (UTC +1).
Keep in mind Im in Germany but I don't see any reason why this would be any different for the rest of Europe
In the UK you can reserve now but have to go through a dealer, I think.

without

Sounds a little late, reservations have been open since last week and I already know of one person who confirmed the order for his Yaris at the dealer (in germany).

Galerion

Sounds a little late, reservations have been open since last week and I already know of one person who confirmed the order for his Yaris at the dealer (in germany).
I also heard about one from my dealer but the online reservation thing will start tomorrow officially. They also mention in the email that despite the virus they will still reserve one for you until further notice is given.

Galerion

So I just reserved one online for myself. Don't know if that offer is Germany exclusive or not but they offer a special Leasing deal until 30.06. 344€ for the High Performance Version in a 4 Year lease. The base version costs 298€. No down payment.
They also go down 5K from the list price making it 28K for the base and 32K for the High Performance version.

That looks a like a good deal to me and way better than I expected. I feared I might have to wait for used ones to hit the market but now it looks like I don't have to. Still have to get things sorted with the dealer though since I was a bit too fast in making a buying decision and have to get that reverted if I wan to take that offer.

Mightymoo

Great for you. Looks like an awesome car! :D

Good luck getting the car anytime soon though as long as the virus hysteria is running rampant in the world :(

Galerion

I mean deliveries were planned for next year anyway. Even if everything works out I will have to wait but that's OK knowing what might await me when the wait is over :)

But I haven't actually ordered one yet. The dealer will have to play his part too. Otherwise Im probably out of luck.