• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Toyota Yaris GR4

R Veloster N

Mar 5, 2019
Rocky Mountains, US
Personally IMO, the Yaris GR hasn't got a chance against the Mini GP and I'd take the Mini GP every time even at the cost they list it at.

Just goes to show you what a 4 cylinder can produce over a 3 cylinder. Even with a little tweak. Just a V8 can over a V6. More holes will always buy you more power. That's just the way it is in reality. The Yaris isn't a giant killer. What is required money wise to make up the speed differential for the Yaris GR to the Mini GP performance, the Mini with the same amount spent, will simply thrash the 'Yaris GR.

To be specific; the Mimi GP just didn't beat the Yaris GR, it caught it and walked away from it, hands down. Moreover the JCW Mini makes the same hp and will effectively do the same job for less money than the Mini GP.

No offense to you intended, just the way I see it in perspective. :) 👍

alpiv64

Jul 2, 2019
Australia

Looks like the ECU is protecting the Engine , will be interesting to see what happens to the 3 Cylinder Engine when modified.

Stray Kiwi

Jan 14, 2019
New Zealand
Personally IMO, the Yaris GR hasn't got a chance against the Mini GP and I'd take the Mini GP every time even at the cost they list it at.
You make valid points, but the question remains, how does the car make you feel? Cars these days are becoming semi autonomous and offload more and more of the driving tasks from the driver. Is it more efficient? Of course. Is it faster? Almost certainly yes. But does it make you feel like you are actually driving the car?

I test drove a Mk7.5 VW Golf R. That thing in stock form is a road going missile. Brutally fast yet totally civilized and easy to drive as a daily. But when driving it hard I couldn't escape the feeling that it wasn't asking a lot of me for all that pace. I think my 83 year old mother could drive it just as fast as I can.

The popularity of the Yaris GR and i30N/VelosterN proves that there is still a market for cars that reward you for putting in some effort with a satisfying drive. That's something numbers and stats don't show.

Galerion

Apr 4, 2019
Germany
Ordered this a few days ago. Since Im in Germany I can't go for the ones touching the Cat/OPF but the second one with the resonator delete pipe sounds good enough and should still fly mostly under the radar of the authorities.

Also why can't I edit my posts sometimes here?

GazmaN

Staff member
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
Also why can't I edit my posts sometimes here?
We put a time limit on the ability to edit some time ago. Some members were going back and editing their posts to completely change the meaning of what they said (after other members posted subsequently) and causing confusion. If you would like any of your posts edited, please just PM a moderator or report your post in question with a request explaining what you want edited and why, and one of us will jump on it.

Galerion

Apr 4, 2019
Germany
Sounds good. Would be nice if it had the N pop and bang and adjustable modes though ;p
You can hear a few pops here and there naturally and that's ok with me since that's how it's supposed to be. Don't get me wrong. I very much enjoyed the N exhaust just as everybody else but it can't be denied that it is nothing special anymore with so many marques doing it and quite often they just sound bad and obviously fake. Especially all the aftermarket pop and bang tunes. Some nights some dude drives by my apartment that sounds like a firecracker in a tin can.

But I'm the last person to deny anyone their fun and I'm sure someone will do a tune for the GR with it :)

Galerion

Apr 4, 2019
Germany
The story behind the Yaris GR AP4
There are also a new ones going further into the changes a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: GazmaN and alpiv64

GazmaN

Staff member
Oct 28, 2018
Darwin, Australia
The story behind the Yaris GR AP4
Back in my journo days I had the pleasure of a quick chat with Neal Bates and Coral Taylor during the Coffs Harbour leg of the ARC in 1996 in which they scored a solid podium in their GT-Four. Forever the Toyota faithful. The late, great Peter "Possum" Bourne (fellow Kiwi; an absolute gentleman and amazing talent) totally owned the event though - it was a spectacle to behold, the bloke was on fire 🔥.

alpiv64

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Back in my journo days I had the pleasure of a quick chat with Neal Bates and Coral Taylor during the Coffs Harbour leg of the ARC in 1996 in which they scored a solid podium in their GT-Four. Forever the Toyota faithful. The late, great Peter "Possum" Bourne (fellow Kiwi; an absolute gentleman and amazing talent) totally owned the event though - it was a spectacle to behold, the bloke was on fire 🔥.
Nice , that brings back memories of the great Rodger Freeth on the McIntosh Suzuki in the 80's at Bathurst. Possum and the Doctor sadly missed.

Reactions: GazmaN

LordPave

Nov 23, 2020
Melbourne
Wait, "fellow kiwi"? This changes everything @GazmaN :p

• Haha
Reactions: GazmaN and mcb6110

Galerion

Apr 4, 2019
Germany
Here is also an interesting video from the build process of the car which is overwhelmingly hand assembly.
The video is in Japanese but you don't really need to understand it. The Video alone is already enough :)

Stray Kiwi

Jan 14, 2019
New Zealand
Having met the likes of Sebastian Loeb, Mikko Hirvonen, Jari-Matti Latvala and Colin McRae, Possum was the most down to earth and personable WRC driver I've ever spoken to. He was definitely one of those people who disproves the adage "you should never meet your heroes..."

Reactions: GazmaN