• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Toyota Yaris GR4

REM66

Might go test drive one when its released....the temptation may to be too much to swap if it's that good. The i20n needs to step it up to be at least the 2nd best small hot hatch because this will clearly lead the pack.
At a reported £36k plus it's not competition for the i20N it's much more a second car for those that can afford one or those that only need a car for pure fun. There are lots of people out there happy to buy a car like this judging by the way the GRMN sold out before release.
I'd love one if I could make it work for us as a daily, light weight, a properly designed 4wd system with no drift mode gimmicks, good performance figures but not so outrageous your licence is at risk every time you let it off the leash but I expect it's size may rule it out sadly.

At a reported £36k plus it's not competition for the i20N it's much more a second car for those that can afford one or those that only need a car for pure fun. There are lots of people out there happy to buy a car like this judging by the way the GRMN sold out before release.
I'd love one if I could make it work for us as a daily, light weight, a properly designed 4wd system with no drift mode gimmicks, good performance figures but not so outrageous your licence is at risk every time you let it off the leash but I expect it's size may rule it out sadly.
Can you share where you saw it reported at £36K? I'm genuinely really into it but 36k would probably be a bit too steep for me. If it's priced in line with the i30N then i may be tempted.

REM66

I think it was Auto Express I can't recall now but it was an estimated price. Current Evo mag has a review of the GR and all they got from Toyota was 'it will be a competitive price TBC'. Considering the GRMN was £26,250 in 2018 and regarded as outrageously over priced at the time for a junior hot hatch, it will really depend on what Toyota view as the competition. If it's the Golf R/S3 or even 4wd mini JCW they start at £36k with no options. Maybe it's aimed at the now gone Audi S1 circa £32k which is closer in size but much lower specs as far as the 4wd system and brakes on the GR.
My hope is it's closer to £33k but then again I hoped the new Supra would be around my price range but it starts at £52k

I think it was Auto Express I can't recall now but it was an estimated price. Current Evo mag has a review of the GR and all they got from Toyota was 'it will be a competitive price TBC'. Considering the GRMN was £26,250 in 2018 and regarded as outrageously over priced at the time for a junior hot hatch, it will really depend on what Toyota view as the competition. If it's the Golf R/S3 or even 4wd mini JCW they start at £36k with no options. Maybe it's aimed at the now gone Audi S1 circa £32k which is closer in size but much lower specs as far as the 4wd system and brakes on the GR.
My hope is it's closer to £33k but then again I hoped the new Supra would be around my price range but it starts at £52k
Okay, I heard whisperings of a 28K base price but I guess nobody really knows yet!

REM66

After reading the Evo review and test drive of the GR4 I don't think it's got a cat in hells chance of being £28k.

Toyota are using the car as the basis to build their next gen WRC car and as such it shares virtually nothing with the new 5 door Yaris. Upper structure of the bespoke 3 door shell is Carbon Fibre with a lowered roof line to improve the airflow to the big wings. The roof, doors, front wings, bonnet and hatch are skinned in aluminium. Four piston front brakes and two piston rears along with the driver adjustable 4wd system are not going to be cheap.

The F&R LSD's are in an optional performance pack with some other goodies like lighter wheels.

Gizmo

Exactly but that also means they have to sell at least 25.000 of it and hence it can’t be overly expensive.
Strictly speaking, they have to produce 25,000 in one year, but they don't have to sell that many. Though I doubt even Toyota have the cash to burn to do the former without planning on doing the latter.:D

Some of you may know him already. He is a famous Tuner over here in Germany so the video is in German too obviously but it's the first video where you can really see someone driving this car hard and seeing what it can really do and doing all kind of funny moves with it.

And from the lap times at the end you can see that this car is serious and will have no rivals in its class and even a class up quite a few will get smoked by this. It was only 0,4 seconds slower than his I30 Fastback N around the track despite it being wet in winter and on summer tires and it was a prototype that had neither the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S nor the limited slip differentials. You can imagine how fast the production version in its top trim will be.

The hype about this car is real and you have respect Toyota for having the courage to even release a car such as this in these times because basically no one else does. The Lancer Evo is dead and doesn't really have a chance of ever coming back and the WRX STI is also dead in Europe because it's so ancient at this point that it can't even pass emissions anymore.
I will certainly keep an close eye on this and I like that Toyota really will do no compromises when it comes to this car. It will even be handbuilt in Toyotas Motomachi plant in Japan to ensure it will be built to the highest quality.

c4bl3

Quick wrap up about the price from that German video

JP: "tell me price"
GR: "not fixed yet"
JP: "under 50k?"
GR: "probably"
JP: "even under 40k?"
GR: "hmm *stuttering noise* we will see"

So I guess the price will be around 40k-45k.
And I don't think there will be much space for discount.
Too pricey in my opinion.

GazmaN

Quick wrap up about the price from that German video

JP: "tell me price"
GR: "not fixed yet"
JP: "under 50k?"
GR: "probably"
JP: "even under 40k?"
GR: "hmm *stuttering noise* we will see"

So I guess the price will be around 40k-45k.
And I don't think there will be much space for discount.
Too pricey in my opinion.
Thanks for that. And agreed. Be interesting to see how the "watered down" version is priced here in Australia. I still probably wouldn't take one on - I don't have much of an ego, but having my arse handed to me on a plate by a Yaris...

R Veloster N

Just keep in perspective, this is a Toyota Yaris.:D An economy class car as it was originally produced. You can only justify so much, for a car like this.:)