• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Toyota Yaris GR4

😍😍😍

View attachment 16653

View attachment 16654
I really love stuff like this.

The problem is I'm not brave enough for it. Especially with such a special car the thought of having to cut it just doesn't vibe with me.
It will very likely drive worse and it isn't reversible so in terms of resale you will take a big hit.
I have mad respect for the people doing it anyway though because it does look awesome.

Reactions: loafer-N77
if they have the same quality issues as they currently have with the i30N kit, I would leave my hands off of it - but yeah render is looking littttttttttt 😆 💩🔥

Can you say what you mean with quality issues? I really haven't heard anything else about it besides that it is released.

Can you say what you mean with quality issues? I really haven't heard anything else about it besides that it is released.

This only applies to the carbon parts:
- huge scratches and non-bonding layers of the carbon (so very bad quality in general). You are not even able to send the part back to get a new one, as they don't have the parts in stock. So quite a bit of waiting time would be involved.
- missing papers to get it legal in Germany (papers were promised)
- missing parts of the carbon kit which they just won't offer anymore because they are too complex to produce (Side skirts and rear diffusor)
- they advertised the kit to be painted and mounted directly by prior by paying an additional fee. Offer was removed shortly after release

This only applies to the carbon parts:
- huge scratches and non-bonding layers of the carbon (so very bad quality in general). You are not even able to send the part back to get a new one, as they don't have the parts in stock. So quite a bit of waiting time would be involved.
- missing papers to get it legal in Germany (papers were promised)
- missing parts of the carbon kit which they just won't offer anymore because they are too complex to produce (Side skirts and rear diffusor)
- they advertised the kit to be painted and mounted directly by prior by paying an additional fee. Offer was removed shortly after release

I watch a bit of JP Performance and that's how I first learned about Prior and Andreas Belzek so hearing stuff like this makes be disappointed. Never would have imagined them pulling stuff like this.

The thing about the GR is that the aftermarket is exploding. Everyone wants to do stuff for it so if Prior also want to produce stuff for it then they better deliver this time because there is actually some serious big name competition. Things like TÜV would be a huge selling point. There are already bodykits out there from TOM'S, Pandem, even GR Parts from Toyota themselves but as we know without papers things get difficult in Germany.

Oh well I guess only time will tell. Like I said Im not that invested in it anyway. Milltek exhaust is on the way and I would really like a bigger rear wing but that's pretty much it in terms of modifications for me :)

Reactions: icelink and Bu11eT
I've seen 3 Gr's in the past one week(all in different areas). Way more than the number of N's in the past 6 months...

I've seen 3 Gr's in the past one week(all in different areas). Way more than the number of N's in the past 6 months...

It's the opposite where I live. I'm yet to see a single GR on the road but I see N's here and there from time to time. I suspect Toyota NZ didn't import that many.

(EDIT) And two days later I saw one about 500m from my house! 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: GazmaN and icelink
Saw my first GR Yaris today in the white pearl colour. Parked up not too far from me. Not a bad looking car but despite it's 'pedigree', I can't stop thinking that if I bought one I'd be forever explaining how it's not 'just a Yaris'.
Doubt I would though as it don't give me that 'yeah' factor and the three things which crop up time and time in reviews (engine sound or lack of it; seating position and long(ish) gear throws) are three things which would irritate me.

This is the problem and fix in a nutshell with the GR Yaris;
This is who has solved the issues and has them available to the GR Yaris owners.
👍🇺🇸

Reactions: Raul_I30Nblue
And the problems begin;
actually the three videos from apex show that it's not the engine's fault here. Overrevving will always cause issues with any MT car' engine. The fact that the rockers break before they cause any major damage to the engine is a good design principle. Our engine for example would be damage quite a bite more with an overrev.

Haven't watched the other videos you've linked but that an engine breaks after launching it 300 times in such a small timeframe is no wonder to me. Sounds clickbaity at best imo.

The common denominator shared in the failures is/was the valve train. The damage caused in all the videos is because of the rocker arm issues.

I’m going to disagree here on mechanical principles alone. It’s a cheaper design for the production cost savings. To design in such is poor engineering and design, when it only takes a clip to solve the issue, is just poor on Toyota.

Nevertheless, there is a fix which is provided. True all MT cars are subject to over rev, when a lower gear is selected by accident. The VN has suffered similar problems for the same issue and been noted as well. Doing so will manually override the electronic rev-limiter.

However, with the retainer kit it will preclude the rocker arm from dislodging and reducing any valve train related failures, as are noted above.

I hope owners read and are informed. There is no sense in downplaying or attempting to hide it. It’s a know problem.

Even Gazoo Racing dealt similarly with the same issue for the 4 cylinder 1.6 they utilize in their WRC car.👍🇺🇸

Last edited:
I still don't think it's that big of a deal. If you don't overrev the engine, stuff will last quite a bit longer. The guys and mechanics fro apex themselves said they are happy the rocker arm broke and therefore more damage to other parts of the engine was prevented. It was considered to be a weak link, yes, but in that case this weak link was a good thing.

Not wanting to argue here, just wanting to provide further insights to the opinions the guys from apex had at the time of failure.