• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Towing Bar/Hook

Check this thread:

The part number is G3H03AP200 GTN

Can't get it in the US, but the dealer in Niagra Falls, Canada, will help you out. Ask for Jason. He can arrange shipping. I had my brother buy it for me in London, ON and ship it, but Jason at the dealership can hook you up.

I thought I heard a little while ago that one of the US receiver manufacturers like Curt or U-haul was possibly going to make one for our cars? I can't substantiate that though.

Hey James, Thanks for the link, would you happen to know if the I30n uses the same receiver as the Elantra N-Line. MVG has the i30 N, N-Line and N performance in the same option. The exhaust looks a tad different.

Last edited:
Hey James, Thanks for the link, would you happen to know if the I30n uses the same receiver as the Elantra N-Line. The exhaust looks a tad different.
The general configuration between the two is the same, plus Trueno92 has an aftermarket exhaust that is bigger than the stock GT N-Line. You'll need to eyeball it and there'll be no guarantee, but since both have the muffler and exhaust outlets in the same place (as opposed to the i30/Elantra GT which has a different configuration that routes it all to one side), I'd think there's a good chance it'll work. The receiver support tucks up in there really nice against the end of the car with the exhaust dropped and there are threaded mounting holes in the body for it (probably common to all i30/EGT models). The actual receiver is in the middle where there's nothing. It does end up a bit low, so make sure to take curbs and gradient changes at an angle. Once the receiver is installed, the exhaust goes back into place and the rear outlets/tips are "below" the receiver bar that runs the width of the vehicle.

Check his pic:

OK... Helpful.
Thanks.
Check this thread:

The part number is G3H03AP200 GTN

Can't get it in the US, but the dealer in Niagra Falls, Canada, will help you out. Ask for Jason. He can arrange shipping. I had my brother buy it for me in London, ON and ship it, but Jason at the dealership can hook you up.

I thought I heard a little while ago that one of the US receiver manufacturers like Curt or U-haul was possibly going to make one for our cars? I can't substantiate that though.

Hi all, I bought a new i30 N Performance hatch from a Hyundai dealer in the UK in March, delivered just in time the day before lockdown. I ordered a "Hyundai" tow bar with it, which the dealer fitted. It's all nicely concealed and the electric socket folds down as already said in this thread.

But ... I can't get the trailer electrical cable to plug in. The trailer has a 7 pin plug, the car was fitted with a 13 pin socket, and the dealer gave me a converter plug. Simple ... not. The socket doesn't swing down far enough to get the converter plug in. It has a stop that prevents it from dropping to 90 degrees and there isn't enough room under the rear bumper. The dealer has already cut big sections out of the bumper to fit it, and I don't want any more cut away or it will probably flap like a Mondeo rear bumper.

The dealer says they need to consult Hyundai UK, and Hyundai haven't caught up with the backlog of queries yet. (And I know I should squeak/hassle more often.)

Has anyone else hit this problem? Does anyone else use a converter plug? Does your socket fitting drop down to vertical from the horizontal location ?

Can anyone post a photo of their tow bar and electrical socket fitting please, and say what country it was fitted in?

(For the people who think it's an offence to fit a tow bar to a hot hatch, it's to tow my RS Aero racing dinghy, which is the hot hatch equivalent of sailing dinghies.)

Apologies on the lack of updates. The dealer sorted it in September, after a fashion. They did cut more out of the underside of the bumper (😣) and they managed some adjustment to the hanging bracket for the socket, although it still doesn’t hang vertically. But it works.

I don’t think it’s a German model - the label is all written in English and the dealer was adamant that it’s a Hyundai UK part.

And now ... while writing this reply ... I’ve googled the part nbr and found that
a) it seems to be the right towbar “For Hyundai i30 5dr, i30 5dr N & i30 5dr N Line manufactured starting with MY19 until Product Enhancement (MY20).”,
and b) I think they’ve screwed the rubbery electric socket to the metal base at the wrong angle. It never occurred to me they were supplied as separate parts. It’s supposed to go on with the cover opening sideways which would totally solve the problem.

So I’m going to have another look at it in the morning.

Reactions: Jajodu
Apologies on the lack of updates. The dealer sorted it in September, after a fashion. They did cut more out of the underside of the bumper (😣) and they managed some adjustment to the hanging bracket for the socket, although it still doesn’t hang vertically. But it works.

I don’t think it’s a German model - the label is all written in English and the dealer was adamant that it’s a Hyundai UK part.

And now ... while writing this reply ... I’ve googled the part nbr and found that
a) it seems to be the right towbar “For Hyundai i30 5dr, i30 5dr N & i30 5dr N Line manufactured starting with MY19 until Product Enhancement (MY20).”,
and b) I think they’ve screwed the rubbery electric socket to the metal base at the wrong angle. It never occurred to me they were supplied as separate parts. It’s supposed to go on with the cover opening sideways which would totally solve the problem.

So I’m going to have another look at it in the morning.
Let us know how you get on. As far as I know the N requires a different towbar to the normal I30 because the bumper is different.

Hey Guy,

Can anyone confirm the Veloster N 2018 - current and i30N 2018 - current have the same hitch/tow mounting points?

Just finished mounting my MVG kit. LINK
I paid a very reasonable 470€ for the complete kit! which is cheaper than here and way cheaper than the 925€ from my local dealer! :)

The kit itself is very well made, totally invisible!
Only negative is the manuals... They are written in German... This MVG company sells products all over Europe, I don't understand why they write everything in German. I contacted them and they are making a translation asap. But I didn't want to wait weeks so figured it out myself.

If you are planning on doing this yourself please take your time. The manuals says 3hrs for mechanics + 3hrs for electrics. This is not possible if you want to do things decent. I spend a good 3 days in total! Figuring out the German instructions and breaking bumper clips & waiting for them to arrive didn't help to reduce the time.

Looking back on the detail of the job this is not something I would trust my dealer with.
I like everything nice & tidy, so making new cable attachment point, shortening the MVG wire loom, soldering instead of crappy splice connectors, ... is something the dealer will never do.
If you have the skills and tools, do it yourself. ;)

Reactions: Jajodu
Has anyone pulled heavier loads? ~1300kg? Our car may pull 1600kg with a brake trailer.
I'm thinking of transporting my trackday Civic. It would be a strange sight, tracking a 120hp Civic when you have a beautiful N :p
did you end up doing this? im looking at trailering my mates stripped integra to a track day 1000kms away, then race both of em together.

Reactions: jeroenvde
did you end up doing this? im looking at trailering my mates stripped integra to a track day 1000kms away, then race both of em together.
Hello,

Not yet,
The heaviest I have pulled so far will be ~750kg I think. But the car handles it very well. Only downside is the fuel consumption :p constant 12L/100km pulling 750kg @ 110km/h. But I find thats still very okay.

I do have a loose towing hook atm. there is a bit of play when you click it in its seat. This results in unplesant clonking noises going thru the entire chassis of the car. I will contact MVG for this problem.

Reactions: digitalpeer
Has anyone heard any news about a towhook for the facelift models?
Wanted my dealer to install it before they deliver my car, but they said they arent (yet?) orderable.
(this is in Germany, btw)

The dealer told me, that the electrical part may be different and thats why it maybe isn't available yet?
I guess i'll wait a few months and then try again via the dealer.
I don't want to order the "old" model myself and do a diy install because of warranty reasons.

Hi all,
been looking for this specific trailer to show up on the 2nd hand market. Past weekend i was lucky!
With this I hope to transport my 99 Civic to trackdays. this combo will weigh around 1400kg.

Now first I have to do some paperworks to drive this in a legal manner :)

20220305_122835_HDRres.jpg

So I've been having this small issue with my removable MVG towbar.

There is this play on the removable hook. when pulling a heavy trailer it makes banging noises go through the entire chassis. It is very stressfull to drive like this. Especially when you slow down and accelerate alot.

Made this video, from 37 seconds you can hear it very good

Send an email to MVG:
According to our quality manager, the " play" is within the limits.

Should send them the hook to inspect but regarding to their reply above I think I allready know the answer.

Anyone else with the MVG hook has the same "issue"?

I've got exactly the same towbar but it's only used for a cycle carrier, absolutely no rattles or free play. I take it you've already checked all the bolts for correct torque?

Reactions: jeroenvde
I've got exactly the same towbar but it's only used for a cycle carrier, absolutely no rattles or free play. I take it you've already checked all the bolts for correct torque?
Yes, with a cycle carrier there is no problem. But with a trailer the forces have an impact in the longitudinal direction of the hook so it moves a bit in its housing.

Checked all bolts. But it is clearly play in the removable part

I've just had the MVG towbar fitted to my 2018 i30n by a certified Hyundai dealer. When I washed the car I noticed a lot of slack (movement) on the bottom rear bumper. I saw that there seem to be 2 points of attachment that are not connected. Did anyone noticed the same?i30n.jpg