• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Torque wrench?

Safcwarrior

Nthusiast
Aug 10, 2018
Kent
I want to buy get a torque wrench and I would like some recommendations it’s just going to be for my personal use? I’ve been looking around and seen some pretty expensive ones but I think there more for professional use and probably a bit overkill for a home mechanic

Halfords. Be sure to select the one that is appropriate to the range of torques that you want to measure. Wheelnuts etc. is one end while bicycle parts would require a lower scale.

I got a torque wrench for myself too, it's fun and cool, and gives you some peace of mind when dealing with some nuts, but keep in mind you probably don't need one if you have some tinkering experience... The screws most people have to deal with can be screwed on with just reasonable feel of momentum, with no tragedy occuring if you're off a bit. If you're fixated on precise torque application, keep in mind that torque wrenches need to be calibrated every now and then, and my bet would be the less professional one you get, the more off it will be or need more frequent calibrating. Probably the greater torque range it has the less precise it will be. I never calibrated mine, dunno how much error there could be.
I'm not saying don't get one, I'm just saying know why you are getting one and that they have their issues and limitations ;)

https://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench

Reactions: MrDeeJay
The thing that really bugs me is massive overtightening of wheel nuts by garages. Having a torque wrench enables you to avoid doing that yourself.

Reactions: Stash-N
Hi there. Appreciate your recommendation... could I check something probably obvious (but will inform my decision to buy...) - have you used this for N's wheels? I'm an absolute novice with this stuff so apologies...

Thanks.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht141-1-2in-drive-torque-wrench/

Very good price and is good enough for home use. I've used it for engine building along with a few smaller ones and is fine for doing head/main bolts/nuts and wheel nuts alike.

Last edited:
Hi there. Appreciate your recommendation... could I check something probably obvious (but will inform my decision to buy...) - have you used this for N's wheels? I'm an absolute novice with this stuff so apologies...

Thanks.
Hi,

The torque value required is 107.9 - 127.5 N m and that torque wrench covers 28 - 210nm so suits the torque required

Reactions: EssEll