• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

There Is No Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully less off-throttle flutter and louder blowoff sound. Going to play with the venting bias to see what percentage works best. I had the extra horn lying around from another TMS purchased previously.

This one was seated on a custom cold pipe for the VT, but sadly it fluttered like mad. Hoping that won’t be the case on the VN. I had to special order the flange from GFB and luckily the model I have was compatible with it.
I may end up popping the block off cap off of the recirc side and using the hose adapter as a crude version of running dual trumpets.

Fitted the GFB Respons TMS a little bit ago. One of the horns was interfering with the lower coolant hose, so I removed it.

Good news is... It does a nice job of holding boost during upshifts, as designed.

Bad news is... Mad off-throttle compressor surge (flutter), even with preload bolt backed out to the minimum. I may remove it entirely as an experiment.

The search for a non-fluttering valve continues.

One of the biggest issues on the original VT was with the OEM solenoids. Specifically, the RCV control solenoid and the wastegate solenoid. We replaced them with MAC solenoids and they were ok, but those in the know switched to this one:

683E25FE-41A0-408E-802F-1F596C9773A5.jpeg

Since I had one lying around, I swapped out the OEM RCV control solenoid for it. At first the difference was negligible, but after putting a few miles on, boost onset lag has decreased a good bit.

Pierburg is an OEM supplier for some Euro brands, such as Audi, BMW and of course, Volvo. Nice little quality upgrade that is plug-n-play and cheap to try out.

Last edited:
GFB advised that I should use their softer spring for the Respons TMS; part no. 6116. Ordered one and will see if it resolves the off-throttle surge.

Those ordering a GFB valve may want to add a comment requesting the inclusion of this softer spring, just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curves
Very interesting build cyg, would you care to share what mods over stock you're running? Very interested in your heat reduction methods

One of the biggest issues on the original VT was with the OEM solenoids. Specifically, the RCV control solenoid and the wastegate solenoid. We replaced them with MAC solenoids and they were ok, but those in the know switched to this one:

View attachment 8672

Since I had one lying around, I swapped out the OEM RCV control solenoid for it. At first the difference was negligible, but after putting a few miles on, boost onset lag has decreased a good bit.

Pierburg is an OEM supplier for some Euro brands, such as Audi, BMW and of course, Volvo. Nice little quality upgrade that is plug-n-play and cheap to try out.

I'm kinda new to these new-school turbo car parts... Is this to replace the solenoid that actuates the BOV/recirc valve? What's the benefit of even running one of these solenoids at all vs a straight vacuum line to the intake manifold?

Reactions: Cygnus X-1
Correct. Hyundai’s terminology is RCV for recirculation valve. The ECM uses the solenoid to control the RCV more precisely. The solenoid is located on the cold pipe, just above the RCV (underneath the factory airbox).

Some VT1 owners tried bypassing the solenoid to get more boost, but it resulted in boost spikes and in some cases, overboosting, so it quickly fell out of favor.

You can experiment with that method if you like, but don’t say you didn’t know about the consequences.

Reactions: 1FastStagea
Correct. Hyundai’s terminology is RCV for recirculation valve. The ECM uses the solenoid to control the RCV more precisely. The solenoid is located on the cold pipe, just above the RCV (underneath the factory airbox).

Some VT1 owners tried bypassing the solenoid to get more boost, but it resulted in boost spikes and in some cases, overboosting, so it quickly fell out of favor.

You can experiment with that method if you like, but don’t say you didn’t know about the consequences.

Interesting... So they're using the recirc valve to help moderate boost pressure in addition to the wastegate as opposed to solely relying on the wastegate to do the job? Odd that there would be boost spikes even though the boost pressure should be kept in check by the wastegate alone I'd think...

Just finished reading the whole thread....

I believe he found a way to "enter" the matrix.

The first few pages noticed how he was identifying and removing stupid weaknesses, primarily the insulating (where i noticed it) then was dying at the obi wan not the mods meme!

Status
Not open for further replies.