• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

Theft of i30n’s

Finbarr

Nov 22, 2019
Preston
Hi, new member to the forum here, I’m considering buying an i30n performance fastback, I’m just wondering is this model such hot property as an Audi S* or BMW M* or VW Golf R when it comes to people wanting to break into your house to steal the keys, or does the Hyundai tend to fly under the radar a bit more? Also from the point of view of constant conversations with the forces of law and order. And how steep is the insurance? I’m 45 yr old with full NCD so wouldn’t expect it to be too steep, if it is I would worry that it’s a high risk car.

Excession

Jul 13, 2019
UK
My insurance (40yo) was approx GBP100 more than my 5 year old focus 1.6 ecoboost, so not much really! However I've had a claim since then for bodywork damage from driving over something pointy, so im expecting it to go up a lot...

Have had it on my drive for four months now, nothing obvious on my cctv in terms of evil intentioned onlookers...

No interest from the law either.

Have still only seen two others (one fastback one hatchback) in last six months - unlike the other marques you mention above!

"It's just a Hyundai" ;)

loafer-N77

Staff member
Nthusiast
Feb 4, 2019
UK
Its not a high risk car in my opinion, where you live determines the risk.

For ref I pay £310, 42yo with full NCD. Thats cheap as chips really and get GAP insurance as well for piece of mind. Again, its the post code lottery with car insurance prices!

After owning Ford ST/RS's, Golf R's etc I sleep very well with "just a Hyundai" on my driveway :D

Seano1878

Oct 18, 2019
Manchester
I think the colour of your car has a lot to do with it, my PB gets a lot of attention from chavs, for the most part it’s positive but it gets tiring having a Golf R or Astra VXR hanging off your bumper. Manchester has a major problem with car crime as well, especially the nicer areas. Recently a few streets away a group of lads were caught swapping cloned registrations onto stolen cars. I’m glad I bought a house in a gated community so I can sleep knowing my car is safe.

Cavaco90

Mar 26, 2019
Portugal
Its not a high risk car in my opinion, where you live determines the risk.

For ref I pay £310, 42yo with full NCD. Thats cheap as chips really and get GAP insurance as well for piece of mind. Again, its the post code lottery with car insurance prices!

After owning Ford ST/RS's, Golf R's etc I sleep very well with "just a Hyundai" on my driveway :D
Where you live is key to safety, nothing against that, but the cars around do play a part on it too, lets see for instance you are surrounded by cheep A** fords, Peugeots, nissans.... all of the sudden your car is "doable". Fortunately, i park the N nice and cozy on the garage, but never know if someone breaks in, my car is the nicest of the lot (its a shared parking garage, and the rest are sh*t). Imagine parking on the driveway, some night a clown decides to break in or damage just because your car is cooler then the rest.. it sucks :\ I do live in a relatively safe zone, never had/saw any issue with anyone, so pretty pleased, the insurance kinda sucks on € regard, but 29yo, 10y driving license, my first bought and insured car, is to expect higher values than someone older. All in all, i have a sentence that use to quote "whatever happens, happens, it's all down to pure luck", you can be the best protector of your vehicle, have the best alarm and still be targeted when you're asleep. One day you are at the mall and BANG someone hits you and you realize when you get to the car, filed insure claim for damage and price goes up (if you take it to insure of course). Could be worse :)

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
Well my insurance company obviously don't think they are a risk because I pay £210 a year with full protected no claims and legal cover the only downside is I'm 63, oh! well! never mind.

Reactions: Jajodu

The Lone Wolve

Nov 4, 2018
cannock, south stafforshire
I think parts has a part to play. VAG parts are much more sought after in europe as a whole. Fords are a big brand with a bigger demand for parts.

The image of Hyundai is still not 'premium', so I guess this makes the N's parts less attractive .

I went i do my business trips abroad, i have not see one, yes one, i30N, anywhere.

I reckon the N will become a Delta integrale in future , if Hyundai stop doing Ns for everything.

Howy

Nthusiast
Dec 28, 2017
West Yorkshire
Well my insurance company obviously don't think they are a risk because I pay £210 a year with full protected no claims and legal cover the only downside is I'm 63, oh! well! never mind.
Seems like a very good quote which company is that with and do you live in the middle of nowhere?

pillred

Oct 20, 2019
bristol
Seems like a very good quote which company is that with and do you live in the middle of nowhere?
Just looked up the company it's RAC insurance, what you have to remember is I'm 64 years old, cheaper insurance is one of the few perks of getting old (er) I also have maximum no claims bonus, as for where I live it's a village about 6 miles from Bristol must admit when I got the quote from them I was pretty surprised it was so low the previous year I paid £258 for my 308 GTi, believe it or not that premium of £210 includes legal cover and protected NCB as I said all you have to be is old, pretty sure I would happily pay £800 if I was 25 again HA!HA!

Scottukl

Dec 29, 2017
Insurance is crazy cheap for me on this car. Just re-insured my car declaring all the mods (including wheels, lip and side skirts, intercooler, oil cooler, induction kit, turbo inlet adapter, exhaust system and remap) and the premium only went up by £20. Costs exactly half the premium of my stock 2015 Subaru STi I had before - same job / details / address etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: r_anderson96

Welsh i30N

May 31, 2018
Wales
I think the cars that have been stolen are after break in's and keys taken. A ghost system and steering wheel lock will stop theft but won't stop your local Hyundai mechanic ragging it down the road when you get it serviced. Insurance not too bad for a quick hatch.

RemcoV

Nthusiast
Feb 29, 2020
Hellevoetsluis
It remains a Hyundai, not a VW, BMW, Merc or Audi. They are by far not hot items to steal, because the market for one is crazy small over all the ,,Premium'' brands.

Ofcourse they can be stolen, very easily with the keyless entry/start it has, but the chance is very small. :) See it as an advantage. :p

Reactions: R Veloster N

Welsh i30N

May 31, 2018
Wales
I thought most UK cars were fitted with an extra theft device that will stop the car if the key is not in the car? I have extra red light on sill of my car. Card for extra security device fitted.

loafer-N77

Staff member
Nthusiast
Feb 4, 2019
UK
I have extra red light on sill of my car. Card for extra security device fitted.
Thats just for the Cobra alarm system that they fitted to UK cars.

Not as far as I'm aware. It beeps at the driver but carries on.
Yup, standard keyless procedure.It'll keep going until the engine is shut off, then it'll "look" for the key if the engine is tried to restart.