• Welcome to N-cars.net - the largest Hyundai N car forum. Check out the model specific sections below and scroll down for country specific forums. Scroll down for i20 N, Kona N and Tuscon N forums! Check out the i30 N Bible Here!

i30 N The Solo N

Solo1397

Oct 25, 2019
Sydney
So...

The time draws near for me to take the plunge and buy one. I have been watching the i30N since 2017 and check car sales every day waiting for one to come into my price range of $30 000 AUD. The time draws near as my first and only car, a 2001 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi, had some trouble last week when driving to work the engine turned off for a second going 80km/h.

IMG_2500JPG.jpg

IMG_2501JPG.jpg

I have been trying to figure out what car I want since 2014. Started with a WRX, then a BMW 335i until I looked up the insurance. I was this close to getting a BRZ but I don't like the stock engine so I made a list of mods which added up to $20 000, so that went out. i then settled on the i30N for the most part, every now and then looking at a Focus XR5 or Toyota Chaser.

I have been on 2 test drives. The first one was a real shock to me, having never been in a car with more power than a V6 Holden wagon. But i never got a chance to focus on the car. the second test drive was in Batemans Bay in January. I really wanted to focus on the steering and the different steering and suspension modes. I could feel a difference though, but I think I could on the first test drive. No matter what mode it was in the steering was stiff and heavy and the suspension was, hard? I don't know. I didn't like the clutch. Having the only manual i have ever driven the work car, 2.5L diesel Navara D22 (what a gutless wonder). The clutch seems to be really pushing against you for the first half of the release travel and then spring out. I have asked people at the dealer about a clutch assist spring but they just tell me about the rev matching. A lot of people with a 86/BRZ change the clutch assist spring which is where the thought came from.

There is that one car that has been on car sales for over a year at the cheapest price by thousands, but no-one seems to buy it. Price is not negotiable but it drops $500 every few month, makes me laugh. Its also half way to Cairns :confused:.

If anyone sees an i30N for sale in Sydney + meeting the following criteria let me know.

These are my terms,​
i30N​
Hatch​
Luxury Pack NO Sunroof​
Micron Grey​
~ $30 000

I make this post also to start a record of myself and the car.
Thanks in advance for being nice people.

Sorry to crush your dreams but for $30.000 AUD you won't get any i30N.
Maybe if you are really lucky, you can get one at $33.000 AUD. Realistic would be $36.000 AUD.

Reactions: BoyRacerN
Shopping List

Subject to change. A lot of things will happen after warranty

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension: black for grey car, gunmetal for blue car
  • Koya: SF01 18” x 8” ET+43 $420 AUD Each
  • Koya: SF03 18” x 8” ET+43 $420 AUD Each
  • Koya: SF07 19” x 8.5” ET+45 $515 AUD Each
  • OZ Racing: HyperGT 18-19” x 8-8.5” ET55?
  • OZ Racing: Ultraleggera 19” x 8-8.5” ET+55?
  • OZ Racing: Leggera 18-19” x 8-8.5” ET55?
Powerflex: Lower Torque Mount Bush, Yellow - $53.50 AUD Link

Tyres: 235/35/19 – 235/40/18
  • Michelin: Pilot Sport 4S, $339 AUD Each
  • Michelin:pilot Sport 4, $195 AUD Each
  • Continental: SportContact 6, 235/35/19 $329 AUD Each
  • Continental: ContiSportContact 5, 235/40/18 $245 AUD Each
  • Bridgestone: Potenza Adrenalin RE003, $205 - $305 AUD Each
  • Bridgestone Potenza S007A, $245 - $389 AUD Each
Intercooler:
  • Wagner: Intercooler kit $790 US Link
  • IFX: Intercooler $0 AUD Link
Intake:
  • Velossa Tech: Intake Snorkel $189 US – £169.99 Link
  • dBilas: Connection pipe €259 Link
  • dBilas: Turbo inlet €259
  • IFX: Cold air intake K&N Filter $635 AUD Link
  • IFX: Cold Air Intake Redline cotton filter $435 AUD Link
  • Takeda: Momentum Cold Air Intake $399 US Link
Downpipe:
  • Milltek sport HJS Downpipe $2358.75 AUD Link
  • XFORCE: 4” dump pipe stainless steel $895 AUD Link
Oil Catch Cans:
  • IFX: Catch Can Kit $529 AUD Link
  • IFX: Catch Can $450 AUD Link
  • That Forge can
  • Universal can?
Body & Styling
  • Flow Designs Full set $1430 AUD Link
  • Street Fx Motorsport: Side Door Stripe $59.95 AUD
  • Street Fx Motorsport: Epoxy 3D N Sticker $18 AUD
  • Black badges if you can still get them in Australia

I have waited this long, I will wait longer
The longer you wait the more your future car will be thrashed by it's current owner and the less warranty you will have. That said, your shopping list kind of indicates you can't wait for the warranty to end. Jump in now and spend a few grand extra, you'll hardly notice it if it's a loan (unlike said shopping list).

Or...just jam a 4G63 into your Lancer and destroy Ns in a straight line with your mad sleeper for half the cost :D.

Reactions: BoyRacerN and smoov
Good ideas
My lancer turned off again yesterday so I’m going to talk to a dealer about them finding me a car.
As for the shopping list, it’s an ideal and I don’t expect to do most of it. I won’t be getting 3 catch cans or 3 intakes, they are just ones I’m looking at. I can’t see the downpipe happening. And it will be spread out over a few years

Reactions: GazmaN
Good ideas
My lancer turned off again yesterday so I’m going to talk to a dealer about them finding me a car.
As for the shopping list, it’s an ideal and I don’t expect to do most of it. I won’t be getting 3 catch cans or 3 intakes, they are just ones I’m looking at. I can’t see the downpipe happening. And it will be spread out over a few years
Now we're talking :). How about this? Get N ASAP and just get to know it for say 6 months. Then take it to a track day. Come back from track day buzzing off your head. Then decide what you want to modify or upgrade.

I had a ton of ideas on what I wanted to change and upgrade before I got mine. Then I got it. 16 months later, what have I done? Black badges and a Slayer sticker :D . I still have not come close to exploiting it's full potential as a completely standard car and I've decided that is the way she will stay. And I am totally at peace with that. I love seeing and hearing about other owners modding their car and fully encourage it. I am a car enthusiast. But at least give it a try. If you then decide you want to mod all hell out out of it - fill ya boots! Hope you score one soon, you'll love it. It's waaaay more than a slight upgrade from your current hack. All the best.

Now we're talking :). How about this? Get N ASAP and just get to know it for say 6 months. Then take it to a track day. Come back from track day buzzing off your head. Then decide what you want to modify or upgrade.

I had a ton of ideas on what I wanted to change and upgrade before I got mine. Then I got it. 16 months later, what have I done? Black badges and a Slayer sticker :D . I still have not come close to exploiting it's full potential as a completely standard car and I've decided that is the way she will stay. And I am totally at peace with that. I love seeing and hearing about other owners modding their car and fully encourage it. I am a car enthusiast. But at least give it a try. If you then decide you want to mod all hell out out of it - fill ya boots! Hope you score one soon, you'll love it. It's waaaay more than a slight upgrade from your current hack. All the best.

Good advice GazmaN!

After using the car for two years, I have only done cosmetic modifications, to make the car look more to my taste.

* Debadged the rear Hyundai and i30 logo
* Added black Hyundai badges front and back
* N side skirt metal badges
* Black wheel nuts
* Ordered Bronze Ultraleggera 18 inch wheels (lighter, looks better and for more comfort).
* Blackened the red stripes, but changed my mind after about 6 months.

Now I am planning to blacken the chrome frame of the grille. Looks awesome in black. Also black badges are great looking. I like black :cool:

The car is great as it is performancewise, especially if you are interested in keeping the warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: GazmaN
Mine, the same. 1y of ownership and the status is:
  • Black Badges
  • Debadge the "Hyundai i30"
  • N side skirt stickers
  • Window sticker of "N+Tunnel (image) = smile" (very neat)
  • Pedalbox
And that's it, so far. On the upcoming weeks, I'll be adding:
  • 114mm Tailpipes
  • Maxton Rear Diffusor
  • Plastidip the standard wheels as well as the front chrome grill
  • Alcantara on the steering wheel with 12o'clock mark in blue (matching the stitching)
Exhaust wise, i'm looking into a resonator delete, but i'm waiting on Hyundai PT reply on warranty matter, more specifically "what parts will be affected by this mod, only exhaust or exhaust and engine".

Performance, nothing on the horizon, maybe a tune once the warranty ends, but by that time (almost 3y from now) i don't even know if i'm still alive, let alone thinking of a remap :cool:.

Advice on your bucket list you mentioned, get the michelin ps4s and the engine mount and you'll be super happy.

Reactions: Bu11eT
I have a feeling I’m going to be very annoyed with the dealership calling me everyday for cars I didn’t ask for.
To be fair, you are asking a little bit above the expectations (money wise) so he might not call you at all depending on what used cars he has in store. I would go crazy picturing/drawing all those plans and not having the car...brave man.

Reactions: BoyRacerN